Boxing Thread

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

What a shame. He had to attack and left himslef that bit too open. No shame in losing this one though for Ireland’s Matthew Macklin.

Not really, Martinez was just taking a breather.

Martinez looked good once he stepped it up. Great effort by Macklin but he was looking ragged for the last few rounds. Won’t have done his reputation any harm.

El Terrible in the ring again this weekend. You’d have to hope he hangs them up soon. Putting himself at serious risk.

Lee v Chavez is back on the cards again…

16th of June in Texas

Good for Lee to get a shot. He’s going to have to knock Chavez Jr out cold in Texas though, there’s no way in hell he’s getting a decision. Martinez was supposed to be fighting Jr in September so presumably Lee gets that as well if he wins. Would be great if he pulled it off.

He deserves this chance anyway. Been a long slog for him.

would he make much outta this? Would the Lee v Chavez match make HBO?

One of Tommy Hearns’ later fights on setanta. He was still a joy to watch at that age.

lost interest in boxing in the last few years, Tommy had a glass chin…some reach alright, he had a massive motown following.

His skills were incredible though. If he had Hagler’s chin he’d have been unbeatable.

yeah, those skinny legs didnt help him either when he was wobbled

WTB, I’ve been watching a few classic fights on Youtube lately, Hagler v Duran from 83 being the last. Is there any you recommend in particular? Youtube is a goldmine for full fights, as far as I can see.

I’d be surprised if HBO didn’t carry it. Jr is a fairly big draw. If it’s the 16th it’s the free weekend between Pacquiao-Bradley and the Ortiz-Berto rematch as well. I doubt he’s making big money from this fight to be honest. If he wins he’d get big money for unification bout with Martinez alright.

HBO are carrying it. It’s a fight Andy can win, Chavez hasn’t fought anyone as big as Lee in a while. Cutting all that weight again can’t be good either.

Barrera v Morales, all of them
Hagler v Leonard
Hagler v Hearns, unbelievably brutal
None of Durans fights were over spectacular, the phenomenal think about him was his chin, and the fact that he was fighing those guys 3 weights above his natural fighthing weight, a lighweight.
Durans fight in '89 v Iran Barkley was incredible,he fought in 5 different decades, held belts in 4 different divisiond and was undountedly one of the greatest “fighters” that ever stood in a ring…

Have you watched all the fights between Hagler, Hearns, Duran, and Leonard? They’re all great stories in their own right. Apart from those, the Aaron Pryor - Alexis Arguello fight in '82 is legendary, and the JCC vs Meldrick Taylor '90 fight is a classic. The Bobby Chacon fights against Limon and Boza-Edwards as well.

This is a great site for more recent fights - http://www.allthebestfights.com/best-boxing-fights-of-2000/ - Sorted by quality as well. If you’ve never seen the Morales-Barrera trilogy I’d watch that before anything else.

Manos de Piedra