Boxing Thread

Dirrell

Unanimous :eek:

117-109 :rolleyes:

The 2nd knockdown scored looked like a push as well.

117-109 :eek:

Jeez ye weren’t far off Totti,just hasn’t been your day

I had it 114-113 Dirrell.

Degale spent 2/3 of the fight on the backfoot doing absolutely nothing.

Was that sick Cork cunt wearing a kilt in the ring? :rolleyes:

Good fight. DeGale dug it out in the last two rounds.

Degale I thought won his fight with groves, so maybe deserved a bit of luck this time round.

Viewership well done … TV stations saying Maypac fight has destroyed the rep of the sport… All aboard the UFC ship.

He made mention of Darren Sutherland before and after the fight. Sutherland lost to him in the Olympics but had the better of their head to head battles in the amateur ranks. Sutherlands boxing style would have been suited to the professional game too you’d imagine.

It was a dreadful performance to be honest, Degale has so much quality and should be capable of so much more but he just spent the fight on the backfoot doing nothing. He just doesn’t assert himself on the fight at all, he doesn’t seem to be confident doing what he is and actually seem to be tire badly towards the end last night. He doesn’t look in great shap, I don’t think he has the mental toughness to become the boxer he should. The Candian judge last night scored it 9 rounds to 3 which is just absurd, there’s no way in hell how Degale can win 9 rounds in that fight, I think you can only definitively say that he won two rounds in that fight, the second and third where he had two knockdowns in round two. I also gave him round 4 but it was a close round.

I had it:

R1 10 10
R2 7 10
R3 9 10
R4 9 10
R5 10 10
R6 10 9
R7 10 9
R8 10 9
R9 10 9
R10 10 9
R11 10 9
R12 10 10

Dirrell 115-114 Degale

I expected Degale to win it beforehand, I’ve had big expectations for him since he came through but he just continues to disappoint. Physically you’d expect there to be a big change in Degale after he came from the amateurs but there has been nothing there, he still looks quite skinny and a bit fleshy in relative terms. Also, what are the views on the second knockdown? Nobody mentioned it during or after the fight and Dirrell didn’t really seem to make much of an issue of it (though he did gesticulate he had been pushed down) but it seemed to me that Degale just pushed him to the floor when he had his head down against the ropes. When you look back at it Degale pretty much won the fight on the back of a left hook with 30 seconds left in a round he was losing convincingly, Dirrell had peppered him with solid shots in that round and opened a nasty cut over his eye. It took Dirrell a while after that round to clear himself but once he did he convincingly outboxed Degale for the rest of the fight. For Degale to nearly throw away such a convincing lead is really poor. I doubt Degale would be too up for giving him a rematch.

[QUOTE=“Nembo Kid, post: 1147182, member: 2514”]It was a dreadful performance to be honest, Degale has so much quality and should be capable of so much more but he just spent the fight on the backfoot doing nothing. He just doesn’t assert himself on the fight at all, he doesn’t seem to be confident doing what he is and actually seem to be tire badly towards the end last night. He doesn’t look in great shap, I don’t think he has the mental toughness to become the boxer he should. The Candian judge last night scored it 9 rounds to 3 which is just absurd, there’s no way in hell how Degale can win 9 rounds in that fight, I think you can only definitively say that he won two rounds in that fight, the second and third where he had two knockdowns in round two. I also gave him round 4 but it was a close round.

I had it:

R1 10 10
R2 7 10
R3 9 10
R4 9 10
R5 10 10
R6 10 9
R7 10 9
R8 10 9
R9 10 9
R10 10 9
R11 10 9
R12 10 10

Dirrell 115-114 Degale

I expected Degale to win it beforehand, I’ve had big expectations for him since he came through but he just continues to disappoint. Physically you’d expect there to be a big change in Degale after he came from the amateurs but there has been nothing there, he still looks quite skinny and a bit fleshy in relative terms. Also, what are the views on the second knockdown? Nobody mentioned it during or after the fight and Dirrell didn’t really seem to make much of an issue of it (though he did gesticulate he had been pushed down) but it seemed to me that Degale just pushed him to the floor when he had his head down against the ropes. When you look back at it Degale pretty much won the fight on the back of a left hook with 30 seconds left in a round he was losing convincingly, Dirrell had peppered him with solid shots in that round and opened a nasty cut over his eye. It took Dirrell a while after that round to clear himself but once he did he convincingly outboxed Degale for the rest of the fight. For Degale to nearly throw away such a convincing lead is really poor. I doubt Degale would be too up for giving him a rematch.[/QUOTE]
I agree with all of that. Degale seems mentally a little weak. The loss to groves had a disproportionate effect on him, and , rather than making him even more determined, as it would a fighter with the real dog in him, it seemed to make him listless and self pitying,
Having said that, Dirrell is a very decent fighter, and the box nation lads actually thought he would win, so whatever way you look at it, degale won, or at least came close to winning a good fight. I’m always slightly loth to criticise lads who, at the end of the day, would hammer the shit out of me with one eye closed, and without breaking sweat, but I think degale needs to do what amir khan did, and change his whole environment as at present, you are absolutely on the money in my opinion, and he will lose to a really top class fighter. Maybe I’m wrong, but the decision last night looked way off, and you are bang on in your assessment, but for me, he beat groves , and was “unlucky” not to get that verdict.
You are absolutely on the money here (as usual when talking about boxing tbh).
I enjoy your thoughts on the boxing always. You make more sense and are more knowledgeable than most of the journalists I always think.

Ps, sorry for the poor response. I’m fairly sickened.

I think he had his initials on his shorts.

[QUOTE=“flattythehurdler, post: 1147286, member: 1170”]I agree with all of that. Degale seems mentally a little weak. The loss to groves had a disproportionate effect on him, and , rather than making him even more determined, as it would a fighter with the real dog in him, it seemed to make him listless and self pitying,
Having said that, Dirrell is a very decent fighter, and the box nation lads actually thought he would win, so whatever way you look at it, degale won, or at least came close to winning a good fight. I’m always slightly loth to criticise lads who, at the end of the day, would hammer the shit out of me with one eye closed, and without breaking sweat, but I think degale needs to do what amir khan did, and change his whole environment as at present, you are absolutely on the money in my opinion, and he will lose to a really top class fighter. Maybe I’m wrong, but the decision last night looked way off, and you are bang on in your assessment, but for me, he beat groves , and was “unlucky” not to get that verdict.
You are absolutely on the money here (as usual when talking about boxing tbh).
I enjoy your thoughts on the boxing always. You make more sense and are more knowledgeable than most of the journalists I always think.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree with your summations on my boxing knowledge.

No doubt about it, it’s a fantastic result for Degale and if you hadn’t seen the fight and saw that Degale went and beat a top class boxer like Dirrell in his own back yard via a unanimous decision then you’d obviously have to say it’s a great achievement for him. I had Dirrell by a point, I can totally understand the two judges who had Degale by 2 points, boxing is subjective and it was a difficult fight to score with a lot of close rounds. I had it level going into the last 2 rounds and I was reading some of the reports today and comments on the fight that a lot of the ringside analysts had it the same way at the end of the 10th. I think what went in Degale’s favour was he upped his performance in the last 2 rounds compared to what he offered up in the previous rounds. Now, it still wasn’t enough for me to win those rounds but that can swing judges, it’s the shift of momentum from rounds that Dirrell was winning clearly to closer/more competitive rounds, if the judge has it in his mind that he has reeled off the last four or five rounds to one boxer and suddenly the other boxer shows up more in the following round it can play on their mind and convince him to score the round that way, regardless of whether he actually was the more impressive of the two.

On the Groves fight, I can’t actually recall who I thought won that fight. All I remember was it was a shocking spectacle to watch and I don’t think I could sit through it again, although I do like sitting down, watching historic contentious fights and scoring them. That might sound a little sad but it is the small things in life which can be so rewarding and fulfilling. I think I might have given it to Groves, I just remember expecting big things from Degale and he gave a lead balloon of a performance. Maybe I overrate him and expect him to be a figher he’s not capable of being but it’s just the way he fights that annoys me, an overcompensating safety first style that he doesn’t need to carry out. He has all the skills to be a terrific offensive fighter but he doesn’t have the belief in himself to fight to his strengths. People will probably say he’s won a world title but he couldn’t have got more breaks even if he asked for them and yet still he contrived to nearly throw a fight away from almost impossible position.

After round 4 he would have been 5-6 points up on all scorecards, he was on top of the fight at that stage and all he had to do was keep the momentum going for another few rounds but instantly he decided to shut up shop, it’s a very bad message to send to your opponent that early on in the fight. Dirrell doesn’t have a reputation for being a gutsy fighter, in fact some would say the opposite but Degale made him look like Rocky Balboa out there last night. He just doesn’t seem to want it enough, to be fair to Khan he has made adjustments to himself and improved, his problem is the fact that he just can’t take a punch - he’s a horrible little fucker as well.

Brook and Gavin up next weekend, it’s a decent card but I’m not too enamoured with the main billing, I don’t think Gavin deserves a fight of this magnitude and I believe he will be well out of his depth. I do rate and very much enjoy watching Kevin Mitchell, that’s probably the fight of the night and Mitchell is probably the best British fighter around for exciting fights. Not bothered too much with Quigg and certainly couldn’t be arsed watching that fuckhead Joshua being thrown another bum.

Khan is a horrible little fucker alright.

I called him something similar or maybe slightly more racist (I know, I know) after the Paul McCloskey fight. I was rightly scolded by Gael Force Fagan who said I was out of order and that he was an absolute gentleman.

I like Khan. Makes exciting fights. I’d love to see him fight Mayweather.

[QUOTE=“Nembo Kid, post: 1147182, member: 2514”]It was a dreadful performance to be honest, Degale has so much quality and should be capable of so much more but he just spent the fight on the backfoot doing nothing. He just doesn’t assert himself on the fight at all, he doesn’t seem to be confident doing what he is and actually seem to be tire badly towards the end last night. He doesn’t look in great shap, I don’t think he has the mental toughness to become the boxer he should. The Candian judge last night scored it 9 rounds to 3 which is just absurd, there’s no way in hell how Degale can win 9 rounds in that fight, I think you can only definitively say that he won two rounds in that fight, the second and third where he had two knockdowns in round two. I also gave him round 4 but it was a close round.

I had it:

R1 10 10
R2 7 10
R3 9 10
R4 9 10
R5 10 10
R6 10 9
R7 10 9
R8 10 9
R9 10 9
R10 10 9
R11 10 9
R12 10 10

Dirrell 115-114 Degale

I expected Degale to win it beforehand, I’ve had big expectations for him since he came through but he just continues to disappoint. Physically you’d expect there to be a big change in Degale after he came from the amateurs but there has been nothing there, he still looks quite skinny and a bit fleshy in relative terms. Also, what are the views on the second knockdown? Nobody mentioned it during or after the fight and Dirrell didn’t really seem to make much of an issue of it (though he did gesticulate he had been pushed down) but it seemed to me that Degale just pushed him to the floor when he had his head down against the ropes. When you look back at it Degale pretty much won the fight on the back of a left hook with 30 seconds left in a round he was losing convincingly, Dirrell had peppered him with solid shots in that round and opened a nasty cut over his eye. It took Dirrell a while after that round to clear himself but once he did he convincingly outboxed Degale for the rest of the fight. For Degale to nearly throw away such a convincing lead is really poor. I doubt Degale would be too up for giving him a rematch.[/QUOTE]

I think Degale looked out on his feet in round 8 and 9. I didn’t score it proper but I think I said (to the wife after a few glasses of wine) that I had him winning by one at the end.

He was on the back foot for the second half of the fight but was strong at the end of 3 or so rounds which can often turn it and win the round on Judge’s score cards or so we’re told.

Maybe round 9 or 10 was him taking a breather cos he dug in and did well in 11 and 12.

Let’s not forget Mayweather fights on the back foot too and he wins…

I was happy with the result. Degale won’t fancy fighting in the U.S so hopefully it will throw up a few decent fights around the Atlantic Isles and we won’t have to stay up til 4 in the morning.

[QUOTE=“Watch The Break, post: 859229, member: 260”]Ali Raymi just knocked out his 20th straight opponent in the first round! Never been done before.

This guy is going to be Pacquiao x 100. I can’t wait until they put him in Rigo.[/QUOTE]

Apparently Raymi was killed in a ISIS bombing last weekend :frowning: