Boxing Thread

Watching the Amir Khan pay per view now had most of it taped. I pity anyone who paid for this shite. Audley Harrisson, Nicky Cook and Amir Khan making up the main “stars” of a payperview on Sky. A joke all those fighters aren’t worthy of ppv status and just as I suspected Amir Khan has a dodgy chin, he got destroyed within a few seconds of round1.

khans fooked,you can fix mosts boxers faults,bad defense,bad stamina,bad movement etc,but one thing a coach will never fix is a glass jaw,its something their born with,no doubt therell be some clever match making now for his comeback,watch for older fighters with good winning history but low knockout percentages,but at the end of the day if he wants a world title eventually hes goin to have to fight some decent boxer and watch out for a repeat of sat nite

Just a reminder to ye all, Kelly Pavlik and Bernard Hopkins is on later tonight, I hope to fook Pavlik kos him but I doubt he will. Hopkins will do his usual holding and dirty boxing and could sneak a decision, hopefully not though

What time’s this one going to start at? I see Setanta are having a little pop at Sky with their ‘Fed up paying Sky high prices to watch main events? All our fights are available for your regular monthly fee’ advertisement.

3am coverage

5rounds gone and Hopkins winning it easily so far, I’m sickened

Hopkins has totally destroyed Pavilik, I had him taking all 12 rounds. His hand speed was amazing for a guy that age. Pavilik looked as if he was gassed even from the first round, I was awful disappointed with him. He never used his double jab like he usually does. Fook it anyway, Stick to middleweight anymore Kelly where you belong.

Reading in the paper today about Wladimir Klitscho. Apparently he wraps his hands in his son’s used wet nappies after a fight. He says the toxins are good to aid reduced swelling and also there’s no smell from a baby’s wee!!
Dr Iron Fist has spoken.

From Secondsout-

During the promotion of his fight against Kelly Pavlik, Bernard Hopkins said that it was time for the Executioner to come back. On Saturday night at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ; he was back and better than ever.

The general concensus heading into the fight was that the 43-year-old Hopkins would give the 26-year-old Pavlik problems for the first half of the fight, but eventually Pavliks youth and workrate would be enough to earn him a victory. The only drama would be whether or not the Youngstown native would be the first to stop Hopkins within the distance. No one could have imagined a scenario in which Hopkins would win at least ten rounds on every scorecard.

After the first round it was clear that Hopkins had the advantage in hand speed. By the end of the third round it seemed that the only thing that was going in Pavliks favor was the pace of the fight, even though he was not the one that was setting it.

When Pavlik tried to come forward behind his jab, Hopkins was able to land counter right hands. Hopkins was also constantly moving to his right, and away from Pavliks own right hand. And when Kelly tried to cut off the ring by moving his feet, Hopkins would throw a combination of his own and catch Pavlik standing flat-footed.

By the midpoint of the fight it was becoming clear to the near-capacity crowd of 11,332 that they were seeing a performance of the ages. If there was still any doubt about who was dominating the action, Hopkins erased it by pulling out a trick from Sugar Ray Leonards book. The sly fox landed a series of bollo punches, and suddenly chants of B-Hop, B-Hop filled the stunned arena.

It went from bad to worse for Pavlik when he was docked a point for rabbit-punching in round 8. At this point the power-punching Pavlik would need a knockout to win, and we were only entering round nine.

When the ninth round began, I realized that if this had been any other sport the crowd (made up of mostly Pavlik fans) would have been filing towards the Exit Signs. Boxing is the only sport in which any deficit could be erased in an instant, however it seemed from ringside that even if Pavlik would find Hopkins chin, there wouldnt have been enough steam to dent it.

Even though the fight was out of reach, and Hopkins could have played De La Hoya to Pavliks Trinidad; he chose to hit the gas pedal and go for the knockout. Hopkins came down the stretch by calling his shots. It almost seemed like he was trying to erase his losses against Taylor and Calzaghe by punishing Pavlik.

The masterpiece had been painted, and the known results were made official when the scores of: 119-106, 118-108, 117-109 were read.

Following the bout Hopkins walked to the edge of the ring apron and stared at the media that inspired him, by once again doubting him.

He would later say at the post fight press conference, Im tired of proving myself. You have someone special in front of you. And you wont realize that until Im gone. Love me, hate me, enjoy me while Im here. Who else will give you a better sound byte?

Hopkins improved to 49-5-1, 32 KOs, and will now await the results of the Roy Jones Jr vs Joe Calzaghe fight on November 8th.

I would fight Roy in a heartbeat. I would even go to England and fight Calzaghe if he beats Roy, Hopkins said following the fight. But wouldnt the fight against Roy be huge.

For Kelly Pavlik (34-1, 30KOs), losing to a legend, who gave a performance for the ages should not be the end of the world. He will still wake up tomorrow the Middleweight Champion of the World. He will most likely defend his title next against Marco Antonio Rubio, who became the WBC mandatory earlier in the evening.

Pavlik made no excuses following the fight.

Well go back to the drawing board. It just wasnt me tonight. I will be more comfortable going back to 160.

And if Pavlik should need a push to get back in the gym, it may come from the man the man that just put the first blemish on his record.

Youre a great middleweight champion. You have a great heart. Keep your head up. Keep fighting. I dont want you to quit. If I have to go to your house and take you to the gym, I will.

Pavlik need not to look any further to realize that an O is not required to attain greatness.

Looking forward to this fight at the weekend. Interview with Calzaghe from the Guardian:

Calzaghe to apply New York sheen on formidable career

http://www.boxingdaily.co.uk/wp-content/img/2008/05/joe-calzaghe-roy-jones-jr.JPG

Joe Calzaghe says his fight against Roy Jones Jr will be ‘the icing on the cake’.

As he contemplates retirement, liberated from the tyranny of the scales and the gym after 25 years as an amateur and professional, Joe Calzaghe pushes some chicken around his plate, studiously avoiding the limp lettuce alongside it. Joe’s salad days are over.

We are in a loud restaurant in Times Square, at the very hub of America. It is, he acknowledges, a long way from the leisure centres, town halls and ice rinks of south Wales, the Midlands and London’s East End where the young fighter forged a remarkable career.

The 36-year-old from Newbridge is content away from the ring and is comfortable with his body at last. His father and trainer, Enzo, cooks his pasta at their New York apartment and Joe looks good on it, bright-eyed as ever with a bounce in his step, zestful and alert. He is a proper light-heavyweight. Even his delicate hands, pummelled over the years and the cause of several postponements, are, he says, just fine. “I think something great’s going to happen,” he says. “Fighting in Madison Square Garden against Roy Jones Jr, it couldn’t get any bigger for me. This is the icing on the cake.”

And yet, the Welshman has struggled all week to convince the hardcore cynics that the contest he and Jones have arranged for themselves in New York on Saturday night is anything more than a lucrative and relatively risk-free farewell to arms. Joe calls Roy “a legend”; Roy calls Joe “a great fighter”. There is an inescapable air of chumminess between the antagonists, who have hardly had a bad word to say about each other since they spent a mere 10 minutes over the contract - an agreement which Joe confirmed yesterday contains a rematch clause. While this is not uncommon in boxing, it leaves the impression that the first meeting is a mere promotional warm-up for the second.

Calzaghe, naturally, resents the suggestion that this will be anything other than a dangerous and potentially memorable assignment. He pauses between mouthfuls to inform you that beating Jones will not only define his own career but round off an era. There is, he says, no one left to fight. This, he insists, is a legitimate fight, even if the only belt on offer is that put forward by The Ring magazine for their light-heavyweight accolade.

“I love the city. My sleeping patterns are OK now. I’m 100%. In Vegas [for the Bernard Hopkins fight in April 2008] I was about 80%. I had a few injuries. I’m zoned in, mentally up for this fight.”

Calzaghe considers Jones the superior opponent to Hopkins and the more threatening. "Potentially, yes, he is. It all depends on how I am. You’re going to see that on Saturday night. I’m excited. Definitely. Make no mistake about it, he’s going to be in the best shape he’s been in for years.

"I underestimated Hopkins a little bit and I nearly paid for it. For this fight I’ve not cut any corners. I’ve sparred well and, thank God, my hands are holding up well. I’ve been able to punch with power.

“I’ve grown into the weight well. I feel a lot stronger. I’m still fresh. You can see by my face, I’m not bashed up. I feel just as good, even better, as two years ago. It’s not a case of fighting till I can’t fight any more. I want to get out at the top. That means so much to me.”

Nor does Jones want to be “bashed up”. He has always boxed as if protecting the face of a movie star. The cloud in his life is what happened to Gerald McClellan in the 1995 fight with Nigel Benn in London. Jones has not felt able to visit his long-time friend, who is blind and half-deaf, at his home in Freeport, Illinois. He will do that when he has finished with boxing. As for Joe, that moment is not far away now.

All of those caveats hang over this curious promotion: the pragmatism of the brilliant but faded Jones, the assertion by Calzaghe that we are about to witness a little bit of boxing history, the lingering suspicion that the fight is a dress rehearsal. When the bell goes, of course, raw instinct will surface. Calzaghe will throw 70 punches a round, Jones will retreat to the ropes waiting for the counter. So, whatever the speculation now, I suspect it will be a good fight, if not the great one it might have been five years ago. I think Calzaghe will win and will spoil any vague plans for a rematch by knocking Jones out.

Of Calzaghe’s 45 paid fights over 15 years, only 21 have not been for titles recognised by either domestic or international governing bodies. He has more belts than Burtons. Yet beating Roy Jones Jr - even a devalued 39-year-old version of the once best pound-for-pound fighter in the world - at the home of boxing probably will matter more than any recognised championship.

headin to that calzaghe fight in the garden the nite cant wait,hope theres not too many pissed up taffies about to spoil it

Who are ya up for Massey? Should be a good fight because reckon Jones will have to come out and try and stop Calzaghe - can’t see him lasting.

like to see calzaghe win hes a likeable enough kind a fella, in sayin that jones isnt as big a mouthpiece as he used to be,suppose gettin knocked out a couple a times will do that to ye,just hopin its a good fight,undercards not bad either zab judahs fightin on it

Well Massey what did you make of that. I have to say I thought the overall card was very poor. Zab Judah was a massive disappointment, I think the guy is finished and has no hope of regaining a title in any weight. That was a shocker of a cut he got and the fight should have been stopped really.
It’s a pity that fight was such a stinker as it didn’t contribute to building an atmosphere for the big one(not that it mattered as the atmosphere seemed electric for that one)

I gave it to Joe by 5points, I gave Jones a 10-8 first round due to the knockdown, round6 and a share of rounds 5 and 9 and that was it basically, I felt Joe won all the rest. How did you score it? I thought the 118 109 of the judges was very harsh on Jones.
I didn’t like the showboating at all that Joe was at(even though Roy used to do the same in his prime). I felt Jones was there to be stopped if he quit messing around. Sticking out his chin with the hands down could have backfired spectacularly and he would have looked a right twat, granite chin or no granite chin. I have to hand it to Joe though, every time he gets hurt is when he looks the most dangerous. I hope he retires now and stays that way undefeated as he should.
What a fooking wally that american interviewer was asking him to fight Chad Dawson. Dawson is decent but not fit to lace Joes boots at this stage in his career.

What sort of a view had you, did you find yourself having to look at the big screens rather than the ring itself? I often wondered if you had a seat near the back would it be worthwhile at all going to see a fight.
I’m going to the UFC in Dublin in January but have a seat near the cage so I should be fine as regards a decent view.

I thought it was an excellent fight-had it all. The knockdown by the challenger, big punches, showboating. Calzaghe is some boxer though and credit to Jones for doing what he could with that savage cut to his eye.
Surely won’t be Calzaghe’s last fight-a Millennium Stadium finish must be on the cards.

thought the main fight was good a bit onesided but didnt mind as was goin for joe anyway,thought the undercard was shite,judahs finished as a fighter he was useless sat nite,no need to look at the big screens as had great tickets bout 10 rows from the ring been to a lot a fights and those were best tix i ever had,even if u a bad seat in the garden its still well worth a goin just for the atmosphere fukin electric

Just watched the David Haye/Monty Barrett fight there, Barrett was utter shite, Haye stopped him in the 5th. Barrett on the canvas 4 or 5times during the fight. Haye looked decent, the heavyweight division is so piss poor he has a chance to get one of the belts, it’d be interesting to see how he’d deal with any of the klitchko boyos big long jabbing tactics though.

What was Bernard Dunne like Sat night Massey, I didn’t see any of it but heard he suffered a woeful gash to his head?

ag[quote=“balloobasluvsbeer”]What was Bernard Dunne like Sat night Massey, I didn’t see any of it but heard he suffered a woeful gash to his head?[/quote]didnt see it not a big fan of dunnes,he doesnt have the power to get a world title,not to say i dont want him to do well,want to see all our fighters do well,duddys fight is off over here now as well ,heard he fell out with his manager,not surprised he hasnt got him any good fights in ages,been milkin people with shite fights,hopefully duddy will get someone who will get him a decent fight r 2,any thoughts on the hatton/mallinagli? fight

I would always have been a Hatton fan myself(I can’t stand Bernard Dunne, no chin and no power = no world title in my opinion but good luck to him if he proves me wrong) but I think his treatment of Billy Graham is wrong. I could dee Mallignaggi giving him problems with his speed, mallignaggi has no power but he’s tough to stop and might sneak a decision. He took a battering off Miguel Cotto and refused to quit. At least he has cut his stupid fooking hair for this, in his last fight he looked a right prick as he couldn’t see through it properly, his own cornermen took a scissors to it during the fight it was so bad.
Hard to know what Hatton will be like under Mayweather Snr training him, I wonder if he still balloons weight wise between fights, I hope he stops that shit, surely it has to affect him in some way.