Boxing Thread

Doubt it’ll be earlier than 4.15

Off to bed. Recording and will watch as live in the morning

Stream I have is unreliable. Anyone have a good one?

Another wonderful slice of americana there with the traditional butchery of the star spangled banner.

Kovalev comfortably takes the first two with a knockdown in the second. Ward in serious bother.

3rd to kovalev as well but better from ward. He actually tagged him a couple of times

Ward improving as it goes on. Might have nicked the 5th

Ward closing the gap. This might get nasty. Heads are in play a lot. One might go astray

Ward. Unanimous :flushed:
Fair play, he worked like a dog after the knockdown and his inside work was great, but unanimous?
I thought draw or Kovalov.

Kovalov helping the cold war gather pace by giving out about all the judges being American.

Just watched. Not a great fight but fairplay to Ward after the knock down.

Unanimous was odd. Kovalev even landing more shots. It was undoubtedly very close, though.

Just watched it. Close fight but thought Kovalev nicked it.

I certainly don’t think Ward did enough, as challenger, to take the belts away from Krusher.

Malignaggi’s commentary was ridiculously biased towards his compatriot

1. Kov 10-9
  2. Kov 10-8
  3. Draw
  4. Ward 10-9
  5. Ward 10-9
  6. Draw
  7. Ward 10-9
  8. Ward 10-9
  9. Ward 10-9
  10. Draw
  11. Draw
  12. Ward 10-9

Ward winning 117-114

Leddarmans scores were mental. Ward showed his greatness by figuring out this fight. He was on the front foot and the back foot, he grappled, was good on the inside. Rounds 8-12 were fantastic. Really enjoyable fight. They will definitely meet again.

1 Like

HBO commentary was just as bad.

Very close fight. I had it 114-113 for Kovalev. Ridiculous to have three American judges and an American ref in a fight like this one, but that’s boxing. Ward deserves massive credit for regaining his composure after two very bad opening rounds. Got the upper hand in the jab battle in the second half of the fight, which essentially took Kovalev’s right hand out of the equation. Kovalev landed too infrequently thereafter and the few head snapping jabs Ward landed seemed enough to persuade the judges.

Judges influenced by the crowd maybe? They were roaring any time Ward even half landed.

Always a factor but I don’t buy it as an explanation for last night.

Of the 18 scored rounds in the second half of the fight, just one round was given to Kovalev. That stinks to high heaven. 3-4 toss-up rounds in the last six, and they almost scored it a shut out for Ward. Crazy.

Planned to stay up for this after the pub but ended up not getting home til after it was over. Just watched now. Really close fight, maybe a draw would have been a fairer result, but I thought a narrow win for Ward was about right. He was increasingly comfortable as the fight wore on, landing more cleaner punches and made kovalev miss a lot. As the fight wore on kovalev found it harder and harder to land, even started to look very frustrated. Ward is a real fighter.

Has to be a rematch.

And i thought that was fair, bar maybe rd. 10 or 11, i can’t quite remember which, he hardly made any impression. I thought one of them was a draw simply because Ward eased off.

Ward dealt witg the set back very well and really wore him down.

David Haye vs Tony Bellew (Heavyweight)
O2 Arena, London
04 March 2017
Sky Sports Box Office

this could be one of the greatest fights of all time