BREXIT thread

May is going with the I’ve tried nothing and I’m all out of ideas line

It’s hilarious … the walk off at the end … all she was short was a mic drop :joy:

When May said about EU citizens in Britain “we want you to stay”, I immediately thought of David Moyes.

If it wasn’t for those pesky EU kids.

She’ll head them off at the impasse.

UK negotiating position:

4 Likes

Very interesting use of the word ‘unless’
We will not divide our country etc etc…Unless the assembly and executive agree. You could see stormont up and running yet.

I was thinking more of this scene

https://youtu.be/y_PrZ-J7D3k

1 Like

Theresa No Powers

All of this is entirely of May’s own making. Every step of the way she has been wrong.

She pandered to the crackpots when she formed her cabinet and has pandered to them ever since. Which makes her as bad.

She triggered Article 50 when she didn’t have to and laid down unattainable ed lines which backed her into a corner and was a giant miscalulation and delusion about where the power lay in these negotiations.

She called a needless general election and did a deal with the devil to stay in power.

She agreed to the backstop, then pulled out, then pulled in again before pulling out again.

She has spent the last two months pushing a turkey.

She threw the toys out of the pram when that turkey was predictably rejected.

She won’t resign, she won’t call an election, she won’t call another referendum. All of these things are “out, out, out”.

A traffic cone could not have done worse.

4 Likes

A traffic cone would have done less harm.

1 Like

What will be interesting now is how she manipulates the “meaningful vote” in Parliament to ensure she is at the helm on brexit day. Fucking idiot.

Except the biggest mistake of all. The referendum

2 Likes

Thread by a former UK trade negotiator:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1042844372449026048.html

Ok… this deal or no deal thing needs examining.

What is being discussed by the EU is a Withdrawal Agreement about how the UK separates itself from the European Union. There are two key parts to this…

2/ 1st the actual agreement itself which has 3 key points that need to be resolved. 1. Rights of citizens in the UK and the EU, 2. The financial settlement of the UK obligations… and 3. A Permanent solution to avoiding a border on the island of Ireland.

3/ That’s the actual legal piece of the WA.

The 2nd part of the WA are political declarations about our future relationship with the EU after 29/3/19… these are annexes to the legal document and subject to future talks. It includes things like future customs

4/ arrangements and trade agreements and not essential to the departure of the UK from the EU and are subject to change in due course.

WA is about an ‘orderly Brexit’ Or orderly separation.

5/ Without a WA the UK would be treated as an international pariah. When we were in Geneva last week we were told that if we leave with no WA then UK could be treated as an international pariah

6/ And even with a WA the UK can not expect any new trade deals for years. The first would likely be with a country with a liberal trade policy similar to the UKs… that’ll be Canada mist likely. That would take 2 years.

7/ The rest of the 163 members of the WTO are circling like sharks waiting for the opportunities to take pieces out of the UK economy. They are likely to wait until we have a new trade deal with the EU to decide what their position will be in future UK negotiations.

8/ EU-UK deal will take years… likely 6-10 years.

In the meantime Brexiteers are suggesting we lower import tariffs that would devastate the 3.5m jobs in UK agri-foods sector, the 2.5m jobs in UK manufacturing and the 2.2m jobs in financial services.

9/ After our agriculture industry is dead we are stuffed and they can increase their prices on sales to the UK… because we have nowhere else to go post Brexit.

I digress… a little. The issue with

10/ leaving with no WA is that everything stops. The EU27 are prepared for this. The UK has done maybe 5% of the preparation needed.

11/ No deal means that from 29/3/19 the UK is in a horrible position and it will be years before we have any useful trade deals that might help rebuild the UK economy.

12/ It’s this time chasm that our politicians don’t seem to understand. Talking Canada +++ Or Norway etc is all well and good but what happens between 2019 and 2050 while UK business is shedding jobs left right and centre

13/13 No WA = No Transition = no deal = catastrophic consequences for millions of households in the UK.

Any responsible Prime Minister would be begging to take back our intention to leave the EU at the earliest opportunity.

I love the “it’s not acceptable to not put up counter proposals line”.

They do have one, the EEA and CU, wake up Theresa.

I can’t wait for more UK news pieces where Joe and Josephine Public are interviewed on the street, like yesterday’s one by Alex Thompson on C4 News.

“I’ve got four words for them…get on with it!”

2 Likes

I kind of feel sorry for her. Like, she’s not the brightest girl in the dorm obviously and she took on the job out of sheer greed and ambition. But she’s there taking all the heat and bullshit because no man will step up to take on and sort out the problem. All the tory fuckwits must give thanks everyday for Theresa because if ut wasn’t her, it would have to be one of them.
I don’t think anyone in Britain has any idea what they are sleepwalking into, the complete and utter destruction of their economy . If it wasn’t so pathetic it would be funny.

True. Cameron the gowl.

1 Like

This chap is on BBC Radio Kent now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_kent

It’s fucking funny pal. These geebags used to run the world, now they’re like syphilitic old men, shuffling round in their pyjamas, mumbling about the old days, leaving a trail of piss behind them.

3 Likes

That’s how I imagine Boris alright.