British Loins Tour to New Zealand 2017 - Official Thread

@Tim_Riggins in misleading stat shock

Someone needs to explain the difference between relative terms and real terms to you.

Ireland have won 13 Championships.

The international game of rugby is so bad, lads are comparing it to hurling, a game unique to Ireland. Ouch…

There’s nothing misleading about it mate. Facts are facts.

In how many years, pal? What’s their winning percentage?

You have a calculator, work if our. I’m just stating a fact that Ireland have won Championshps.

Ok, taking those stats at face value, more people attended the Rugby World Cup than the Euro football equivalent. This would lead people to believe that rugby is more popular than football, it is a fact that football is more popular than rugby. Note the difference between a stat and a fact. What these figures don’t show is the price of tickets and stadium capacity. Another factor was the terrorist threat to Paris at the time which resulted in people not travelling.

I never said it was a more popular sport, it is a mere rebuke to claiming it isn’t popular.

It is one of the biggest sports events in the world. The hosting fee is enormous.

The ticket costs btw, were huge.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.the42.ie/rugby-world-cup-tickets-most-expensive-2330234-Sep2015/%3Famp%3D1

THE AVERAGE PRICE of a ticket for this month’s Rugby World Cup makes it the most expensive major sports tournament ever, according to new research.

The average ticket price is £104.17 (€138) and taking inflation into account, that’s significantly higher than any football World Cup or Olympic Games.

No, that stat was comparing football to rugby. The stat was very misleading which you have now acknowledged.

Mate you’re talking about popularity. If the Rugby World Cup isn’t a popular event then neither is the Euros.

The highest ticket prices for any sporting event ever, with teams from several continents and it still beat a major sporting event for the biggest sport in the world played in the heart of Europe.

This same competition is moving from one major market to another, with over hundred million the cost of hosting it.

It is very popular.

The Rugby World Cup used bigger stadiums, mate, therefore there was a higher average capacity per match.

At the next Rugby World Cup
  1. Oceania will have 4 teams. Oceania has a population of 40 million.
  2. Asia and Africa and South Ameirca will be represented by 3 teams. These 3 continents have a combined population of over 6bn.

1 Like

Change of argument alert

I don’t think anyone knows what they’re even arguing about now

1 Like

Mick, any chance you could tell me exactly where the starting 15 from the club final are from? There’s a guy from Dalkey in work, I’d like to get one over him if you could furnish me with these details please.

How so? My point has been consistent all along. Rugby isn’t as popular as people think it is. I wasn’t the one who brought hurling in to the argument.

They used some bigger and some smaller venues.

The 2016 Euros average attendance was actually a step up on 2012 (46k) and 2008 (36k) average. Ditto it was the highest for the RWC.

Both are first world countries beside each other with major stadium infastructure. It isn’t a pissing contest, we all know soccer dwarfs rugby, it is point about the popularity of rugby though. The RWC is a very popular event.

Three off the top of my head are Cian Waldron, Kilkenny, Darragh O’Connell, Kerry & Barry Connolly, Galway.

I didn’t say the Rugby World Cup wasn’t a popular event. You started the “pissing contest”, as you put it, about the attendances.