British Loins Tour to New Zealand 2017 - Official Thread

I’d say Gatland is up there with the biggest pricks going.

V interesting see how many English players go, don’t think Eddie Jones will be campaigning for it and he is so ruthless might put th knuckle on a few to stay out of it. Generally can write off the season after for a lot of the players.

The Ranfurly Shield (the old Log o’ Wood as it’s known colloquially) and the NPC are wonderful competitions with names to conjure with.

Auckland, Canterbury, Otago, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Manawatu, Counties Manukau.

Gatty’s reputation as a man of substance and Officer Class material was made when he hooked the Waikato team which took the Log o’ Wood from the all-conquering Auckland team which had held it for eight years and over 60 challenges back in 1993.

As you mentioned the log o’ wood here’s my one and only piece of rugby kit or memorabilia or anything at all. When we were there in 05 I had a lions polo shirt that I swapped with a Maori bloke I was sharing a joint with in Roturua one night, he gave me this which I’ve never worn but can’t see myself ever dumping

6 Likes

That’s a beauty

3 Likes

I’d say gatland is taking a last pay day before going home to new Zealand to live. Wouldn’t blame him. Lions will lose the series three nil.

Stephen Jones predicted his squad in the Sunday Times today. Absolute pointless exercise of course and I’m worse for reading it.

Notable points

• Rob Kearney one of two full backs with Halfpenny. Feasible neither will travel. But I have as much chance as Kearney. There are minimum of 5 eligible full backs better than him at the minute. And that’s not counting any of the Irish options. Ludicrous inclusion

• picked three out halfs. Biggar, Farrell (both certs) and then Ruaraidh Jackson. Who is Ruaraidh Jackson I hear you ask? Yes the same lad who hasn’t been Scottish first choice in 3/4 seasons. Who has failed to dislodge Jimmy Gopperth at Wasps and left to back up a 36 year old Nick Evans at Quins. A stunning decision to bring him :joy:
    Of course the reality is that the insufferable cunt wrote this last night after a few bottles of wine and mixed up Jackson and Finn Russell

• picked three English hookers. Two of whom were not in the Eng RWC squad. Two of whom have less than 10 caps between them.

He is a sick fucking man. I hope he is right though and all the Irish players are left at home ( for record, Murray, McGrath, Henderson, Kearney were Irish selections)

He loves a bit of Rob Kearney, big Dave fan as well

Why wouldn’t he be sure :smirk:

The doyen of rugby scribes, Stephen Jones has picked the following squad based on current form.

Full Backs
S.L. Halfpenny (Wales)
R.D.J. Kearney (Ireland)

Wings
T.S.F. Seymour (Scotland)
A.K.C Watson (England)
G.P. North (Wales)

Centres
M.S Williams (Wales)
J.B.A. Joseph (England)
J.H. Roberts (Wales)
D.M. Taylor (Scotland)

Out-Half
O.A. Farrell (England)
D.R. Biggar (Wales)
R.J.H. Jackson (Scotland)

Scrum-Halves
G.C. Murray (Ireland)
R. Webb (Wales)
B.R. Youngs (England)

Props
J.C. McGrath (Ireland)
J.W.G. Marler (England)
M.W.I.W.N.A. Vunipola (England)
D.R. Cole (England).
W.P. Nel (Scotland)

Hookers
D.M. Hartley (England)
J.E. George (England)
L.A. Cowan-Dickie (England)

Locks
G.E.J. Kruis (England)
L.C. Charteris (Wales).
A.W. Jones (Wales)
O.M. Itoje (England)
W.I. Henderson (Ireland)

Flankers
J.I. Hardie (Scotland)
S.K. Warburton (Wales)
C.R. Moriarty (Wales)
J.A.W. Haskell (England)

No 8s
T.T. Faletau (Wales)
V.M.L. Vunipola (England)

1 Like

Echo, ECHO!

Stephen Jones a british journalist has picked his British Loins team

Full Backs
S.L. Halfpenny (Wales)
R.D.J. Kearney (Ireland)

Wings
T.S.F. Seymour (Scotland)
A.K.C Watson (England)
G.P. North (Wales)

Centres
M.S Williams (Wales)
J.B.A. Joseph (England)
J.H. Roberts (Wales)
D.M. Taylor (Scotland)

Out-Half
O.A. Farrell (England)
D.R. Biggar (Wales)
R.J.H. Jackson (Scotland)

Scrum-Halves
G.C. Murray (Ireland)
R. Webb (Wales)
B.R. Youngs (England)

Props
J.C. McGrath (Ireland)
J.W.G. Marler (England)
M.W.I.W.N.A. Vunipola (England)
D.R. Cole (England).
W.P. Nel (Scotland)

Hookers
D.M. Hartley (England)
J.E. George (England)
L.A. Cowan-Dickie (England)

Locks
G.E.J. Kruis (England)
L.C. Charteris (Wales).
A.W. Jones (Wales)
O.M. Itoje (England)
W.I. Henderson (Ireland)

Flankers
J.I. Hardie (Scotland)
S.K. Warburton (Wales)
C.R. Moriarty (Wales)
J.A.W. Haskell (England)

No 8s
T.T. Faletau (Wales)
V.M.L. Vunipola (England)

1 Like

look at the names for the number 8’s

wtf?

:grinning:

wtf?
there will be more samoans on the British lions than Oirishmen

1 Like

Great to see you recognising Ireland as part of Britain

Shur they’re all west brits mate, no Irishman plays for the Loins.

in rugby terms it certainly is

Picking a prospective British Loins team and squad at any time is never anything less than a worthwhile exercise, but now that we’re well into that magic year before the expedition, it is and will be absolutely fascinating to see each prediction, each a snapshot in time of who is in pole position for the 37 coveted tickets to the land of the long white cloud next June. As ever, no prediction is more fascinating than that of the doyen of rugby writers, Stephen Jones.

Mind you, the great man is teasing us all today. He only revealed 34 names. Maybe the other three will be revealed next week.

L.B.N. Dallaglio whilst not definitive appears to be leaning towards D.M. Hartley as tour captain.

A lovely article here about teenage Irish prop Oliver Jager, known to all as the
“Jagerbomb”, who, since the article was written, has propelled Canterbury to the famous Ranfurly Shield, which they hold into 2017 after defeating six times defending holders Waikato in September.

A life less ordinary for the former Blackrock College student.