British Loins Tour to South Africa 2021 - Official Thread

Troy Parrott

1 Like

Let’s hope that some of the usual predators like Man U don’t come along and poach young Troy from the famed Tottenham Hotspur Youth Academy.

Yeah, it would be a loss to london hotspur

Mate, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but, Oireland toured there in 1981 and played two friendlies against the apartheid led springboks.

:astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:

You okay there mate? You seem a bit shell shocked.

Not since the end of the 2018 Championship, last March. We’re probably due an updated team at this stage.

Interview with Slatts in the Sunday Times to mark the occasion of his 70th birthday. Some interesting views on touring South Africa.

“I was anti-apatheid, but I felt the best way to change things was through communcation” he says. “For instance, I captained the Lions against the Proteas, the first non-white side to play the Lions. They had an 18 year old centre called Errol Tobias and seven years late when Ireland toured there, he became the first non-white to wear the Sprinbok jersey. That would have really hurt the Broderbond, the inner sanctum of Afrinkanerdom. On those tours, I often disappeared and explored the townships. I always brought a journalist with me just in case anything went wrong. I remember going to Soweto with the late Colm Smith of the Irish Independent. You needed a pass, so I got some friends to organise ID saying that I was an assistant anthropologist from Wits University. I genuinely wanted to understand what the whole society was about, how the whole things wasn’t working”.

:joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Slatts will always be remembered for touring apartheid south africa

A lot of retrospective reasoning to try to justify supporting apartheid South Africa by the rubby fella there.

1 Like

Funnily enough I don’t remember a word out of Slatts about the evils of apartheid back in the day. I suppose the dapper estate agent was secretly working away behind the scenes to secure the downfall of the rotten regime.

1 Like

In fairness, he has had over 30 years to come up with a good excuse for supporring apartheid South Africa.

1 Like

Cecil Rhodes type stuff here from Slattery describing how he needed a journalist on hand to document the behaviour of the heathen in the township

Slatts played against darkies*. Now fall in.

*possibly with a journalist in tow, in case it wasn’t safe like.

In the township in Soweto, tensions running very high,two white men about to be jumped on when the attackers suddenly realise that one of the men is Colm Smith of the Irish Independent so they call off the attack

17 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

They have a bullet proof vest now for that

**image **

Slatts visit->Errol Tobias plays for the Boks->Mandela wins his freedom->End of Apartheid

3 Likes

@Sidney
could we say that “fall” of apartheid contributed to the demise of the Springboks similar to the fall of communism led to the detriment of Eastern bloc clubs and their achievement in European competition?
Im assuming the argument could be made thar the Springboks were not tested during the apartheid years and we need to reference test matches such as the expedition led by Slattery et al to quantify the quality of the side?