Calling Balbec

@balbec, what’s Gdańsk like?

Unreal.

A fine city. Was there last July and couldn’t get over it. Hadn’t been there in over twenty years.

Possibly the best city in the country.

Going for work?

1 Like

How are you feeling @Fran

He has been out of the country before, im sure he’s ok.

I’m feeling fine Harry, thanks for asking

1 Like

Thinking about a mini break there with the missus

Lovely spot

Take in sopot as well. Lovely beach resort just outside it. I had John Delaneys shoe in my hand in the square there at one stage

5 Likes

The amber City. It’s beautiful

1 Like

Gdansk is a smashing city - great architecture, interesting history, lovely ambience and walks, good food. Sopot would be beautiful over the next couple of months. It’s not at all grotty like seaside resorts in our part of the world or the resorts abroad frequented by English speaking peoples. Long beachside walks and there’s a lovely restaurant just off the beach which is very reasonably priced and well worth going to.

2 Likes

This is @Fran you’re dealing with. It’s away from work he’s running.

1 Like

Gdansk, I was there for Ireland being pummelled in Euro 2012. I don’t remember anything about it. :anguished:

Gdansk is the best city in Europe when you factor in how cheap it is.

You’re losing not going there.

I would think a lot less of a fella if he told me he didn’t like it

Hey @balbec I’m off to Krakow next week for a lock a days,whats good in Krakow.Dont bother with Auschwitz I’ve no interest in that.

Salt mines. It’s about 30 mins from town centre. Can organise a tour via hotel or book online. Tour takes about 3 hours.

Schindler factory in Zablocie near the river. Five minutes from my office actually. 90 mins tour no guides.

Kazimierz old Jewish district for restaurants and bars.

General hanging around the town centre is good. Walk down to the castle and cathedral.

The Mariacki church on the square has a medieval wooden carved altar. Worth a look.

Best cafe on square is Cafe Europejska, my usual haunt.

Good Polish grub in Miod i Malina or Pod Aniolami, both on Grodzka street.

Loads of bars but if you feel a need to drink with a shower of Englsh cunts there’s the John Bull pub or the Ronnie Drew next door on Mikloajska.

3 Likes

At the risk of repeating myself Krakow is one my favourite spots in Europe,

A fantastic place that ticks all the boxes.

1 Like

I was the same to the extent that I thought it would be overpowering in its horrific history.

And it was. But I’m so glad I did it. I tell you when you visit a place like that you get a full appreciation of the lowest levels of humanity’s history.

1 Like