Calling gman

Alright @Gman, old pal

Cutting out the mac in the middle nonsense. What sort of money would you be looking at to put an extra storey on a bungalow? And what are the downsides?

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=“artfoley, post: 1090100, member: 179”]Alright @Gman, old pal

Cutting out the mac in the middle nonsense. What sort of money would you be looking at to put an extra storey on a bungalow? And what are the downsides?[/QUOTE]

well foley.

the old adage, you may as well be asking me how much is a car. there is a lot more to getting a price on it than basing it on square meterage rates. Are you converting and existing building into a dormer and retaining the roof and making alterations, or are you removing the roof, building up and reinstating a new roof? Converting an existing building and retaining the structure is fine, and wouldnt cost a massive amount. If it is an upward extension, you have a whole host of problems and I wouldnt go near that. You’d have planning issues, structural engineering issues and a fairly costly build.

[QUOTE=“artfoley, post: 1090100, member: 179”]Alright @Gman, old pal

Cutting out the mac in the middle nonsense. What sort of money would you be looking at to put an extra storey on a bungalow? And what are the downsides?[/QUOTE]

You’d be better off buying a new house or extending outwards.

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 1090133, member: 112”]well foley.

the old adage, you may as well be asking me how much is a car. there is a lot more to getting a price on it than basing it on square meterage rates. Are you converting and existing building into a domrer and retaining the roof and making alterations, or are you removing the roof, building up and reinstating a new roof? Converting an existing building and retaining the structure is fine, and wouldnt cost a massive amount. If it is an upward extension, you have a whole host of problems and I wouldnt go near that. You’d have planning issues, structural engineering issues and a fairly costly build.[/QUOTE]
cheers gman, much appreciated

what I was looking at was removing roof, add storey and new roof. it’s a 30s bunalow and while there’s land around it, the opportunity for an aestheticaly pleasing extension is very limited given the way the house is. I know that it’s possible under the dun laoghaire planning regs to go up, but would mean no back windows.

any other ideas ?

Wexford man adding an extra storey to his house

https://cdn.empowernetwork.com/user_images/post/2012/12/01/d/2f/1e91/540_293_resize_20121201_d2f1e91a5cb960e0279a0e150e06a5aa_jpg.jpg

[QUOTE=“artfoley, post: 1090141, member: 179”]but would mean no back windows.
[/QUOTE]

You could locate the dungeon on this end so?

nah, would look like @Mac s house then

Foley, would you not be better just knocking it down and building a new house?

not really an option, it’s a 1920s bungalow and some has some wonderful original features

[QUOTE=“artfoley, post: 1090141, member: 179”]cheers gman, much appreciated

what I was looking at was removing roof, add storey and new roof. it’s a 30s bunalow and while there’s land around it, the opportunity for an aestheticaly pleasing extension is very limited given the way the house is. I know that it’s possible under the dun laoghaire planning regs to go up, but would mean no back windows.

any other ideas ?[/QUOTE]

My brother in law did something similar in Dalkey a few years ago. Took the roof off, brought the walls up a few feet and turned it into a dormer. I’ll see if I can find out how much he did it for

cheers @Fran much appreciated

[QUOTE=“artfoley, post: 1090141, member: 179”]cheers gman, much appreciated

any other ideas ?[/QUOTE]

depends on how much you would be adding onto it. The foundations from a 1920s building would have to be checked and a good chance they wouldnt take an extra loading like that, so you may need to underpin which is messy and costly. Without seeing it or knowing the scope it’s impossible to say. You’d need both an engineer and architect on it though. is the roof high enough already to convert it to a dormer without the need to remove the roof?

would a 2 storey extension work for it? or even in that 2 storey extension have the second storey larger and create an oversail so you dont use up the ground space?