Career Change

I played chicken and received a significant pay rise, they can count on me for this year and next. I’m onto the next thing thereafter. I’m all about that paper when it comes to my ‘normal’ job

1 Like

Are you on a permanent 4 day week? Do you do full hours just in 4 days?

That’s a v nice option

Am probably doing 90% of normal hours over 4 days on full pay. It’ll last till the end of the year and then I’ll need to either move back to full 5 days or take the 10% pay cut and work 4 days. If I can do the latter I’ll be all over it.

1 Like

What is a career? Go to a place and get paid. Use to the free time to use that money to do shit. Repeat

4 Likes

“Bruce Springsteen”

You are some gawk.

And ​a rich man’s lackey. Enough said.

I met plenty of lads like you over the years. Yere only gift is sycophancy, behind all the middle management guff. Or maybe I am forgetting keeping LIFE magazine in avid readers.

Enjoy being you. It must be like listening to the whirr of a photocopier.

Progression through your profession is a career

2 Likes

Unions mate

My thoughts exactly I had a recruiter shite on about opportunities and progression. I told her I couldn’t give a toss about that only salary. Job is the same in any place in my industry

1 Like

Whatever about career progression the job is about so much more than salary. Flexibility is a far greater retention tool than a pay rise. And the pension scheme, the most undervalued element of any benefit package. Its the first thing fellas should be looking at but almost always the last

3 Likes

Yeah I’m usually logged out on a Friday by 12:30 and I’d hate to give that up if I changed jobs.

5 Likes

Comes with it. The overall value of salary and benefits. But I’m not interested in the bullshit talk about jobs or working myself to an early grave. I try to be selfless in my personal life but I’m completely me fein professionally. No one will do it for you

2 Likes

Can we all agree… And please tell me this is the case for all lads here…

We are all trying to get paid as much as possible for doing as little as possible?

33 Likes

And generate value for the shareholders

2 Likes

100%

1 Like

We’re not all in the civil service @KinvarasPassion :grinning:

2 Likes

Of course pal :joy:

Oddly, I listened on audiobook to Bruce Springsteen’s autobiography, which was well written and well read and a cut above 99% of other efforts. What stood out for me was indeed his work ethic. Elton John worked very hard as a young man, but enjoyed it. His songwriting, well melody writing, however is relatively effortless. That was interesting too. Springsteen was and is a grafter. A deeply intelligent one at that. You get the feeling the music just flowed for Elton John, whereas Springsteen without the work ethic may well have ended up working as a mechanic.

4 Likes

100%. I’ve spent years working all kinds of hours with very little (financially) to show for it. I’m tipping away this weekend trying to finish up some work for my side hustle. After that, I’ve one more job to do for that, but it’ll be next summer and I get a trip to Argentina out of it. I might leave that be then for a while.

As for the day job, I’m starting to realise I can do the work in a lot less time than it used to take. Last week, I would say I did about 30 hours of work. Three years ago, the same amount of outputs would have taken me 50-60 hours. I take on extra bits at work that I don’t need to because they’re interesting and stop me from thinking about another career change.

I’m happy with where I am now. I get an absolute fuckload of annual leave and it’s stable. I’m doing two days at home a week (last week that was mainly spent on my side hustle and some small admin). Oh, and the farm is going up for sale back home (as I previously mentioned) next month, so if we do end back home down the line, I won’t even have to worry about that.

16 Likes

I was asked to take a promotion at work which I started yesterday. Looking forward to it. Bit of travel, new experiences, global exposure - guess that’s what a career is all about.

17 Likes

Interesting about the sale of the farm, was it signed over to you already or how did you or your family go about managing the the tax implications?