Career Change

I’ve always been very good at the bits of teaching I’ve done.

And you’ve been schooled on here a fair few times so that helps.

11 Likes

Just asked mrs Barnes there. Vec have a credits system around new entrants that takes your previous position into account. They dont neccessarily match your previous salary but depending on your experience you may not have to start at the bottom of the scale.

2 Likes

Anyone know anything about welding? If I was going to do a welding course which us better to do TIG or MIG?
I was hoping to do MIG but it’s booked up. Is TIG worth doing?
Forgive me lads, it’s a far cry from MAs and PHDs, just thinking before I shell out.

6 Likes

Tig is the route for you mate

1 Like

With an extension course in stainless after you qualify. Could help you land a handy enough fitter job with a pharmaceutical company.

1 Like

I have never met any welders. Is it not an apprenticeship (a fitter)? Or just a short course? And you train on the job?

how do you know that?

4 Likes

They state their occupation on tinder

16 Likes

Not that I can recall in the past, I knew fitters who welded, but can’t recall it coming up in conversation with anyone when you ask the what do you do question.

A fabricator

2 Likes

Plenty of those on here

26 Likes

Classic TFK exchanges over the last 5/6 posts.

4 Likes

A tap in.

1 Like

Thanks lads, course booked. I’ll see how it goes.

2 Likes

Tig is the way to go in my experience.
Also, Try and find an orbital welding course. Lots of work with that and you can travel the world doing it if that takes your fancy.

1 Like

Fair play. Don’t look directly at the flame. Thank me later

1 Like

Any of ye try the contracting? Is it much hassle getting everything in order for the tax man?

Fancy a change from my current employer and seeing a lot of contract roles advertised. Money would be more but would be losing out on health care and bonus etc…

Wouldn’t be looking to do it long term but something for a year or two.

1 Like

Silage?

4 Likes

lol