Career Change

You could top up teaching with grinds bucko. Irish grinds anyway, not sure about geography even tho it rocks, but there’s no future in history.

3 Likes

But you can also do English grinds obviously

The warm weather has gotten to the normally astute @cowpat.

A painting apprenticeship with Corkie is your best option, you’ll be able to take over the mantle from him in a year or two and retain him as an advisor.

Ye can labhair as Gaeilge to each other and all will be go hana maith.

12 Likes

Teaching and grinds during school year, drawing silage during the summer. He will be able to afford a house with multiple islands

3 Likes

Always wanted to draw sileage for a summer as well!
I am abroad, and was just looking Hibernia, and I’d really need to back home. There’s no way I could kick it off even with some kind of online study, and then come back when I had to. Classroom lecture a few times a month. The missus wouldn’t be happy!! I would be un grand cabron y hijo de puta!!

Jaysus lad, we know FFS sake. No need to keep telling us!

4 Likes

Are you any use playing football and vaguely aware of the Stillorgan area and it’s GAA heritage.

4 Likes

Is there any silage drawing in Spain?

Would the Mrs be up for living in Ireland when you’re a qualified teacher?

We were in Dublin, and moved over here to save a few quid with the idea of going back to the auld sod. Missus would be open to it alright. Ireland seems like an expensive place at the moment, and forget about me ever getting a gaff based on the news reports!

My missus did this about 4 years ago. A diploma in Further Education at Marino Institute. Part time 2 years. In conjunction with previous qualifications this qualified her to teach VEC which she did for a year. She is now teaching third level for last 2 years and is on about doing a doctorate. She was similar age to yourself when she started. She absolutely loves it. It was tough going at times but well worth it. Money was poor for the first year or 2 but with full time hours its improved considerably. Quality of life improved immeasurably.

16 Likes

@cowpat is based abroad lads, keep that in mind

1 Like

Abroad in the back field!

2 Likes

I will have a look at this thanks!

I looked into this recently enough. Am 44. You’d have to study and go in bottom of the scale and it takes years to get up that scale to a decent level. Not sure what you’re on but it’s not much to be starting on at 44. It was too much of a drop for me definitely with my dream 3 bed under a flight path to pay for. If you do it fair play, its an amazing job imo. Try to be as choosy as possible with school you go for if you qualify. The difference in stress depending on schools is massive. If you do go for it, good luck.

10 Likes

Seriously humming and hawing but financially I think it could be a non runner. However, I wonder if it might be possible to train to teach Irish part time, at VEC level etc?
e.g. Graduate Diploma / M Ed in Adult and Further Education | Mary Immaculate College

Do you get paid anything additionally for having degree, masters, PhD… Or are those days gone?

There will be shortages of teachers in urban areas soon enough as the old pre 2010 paid teachers slowly retire and younger teachers just cant afford to live in cities or just aren’t attracted to the job in the first place because pay is too low.

Talk to a principal or deputy principal and look into the pension situation depending on your age

1 Like

You do get extra for MAs etc… im pretty sure.

I was actually genuinely thinking of it myself the other day.

You wouldn’t be suited.

3 Likes