Career Change

The trick is to get the gardening leave at the height of summer. :wink:

1 Like

Split season has changed that metric

Ah but think of the many, many kms you could cycle on your road bike! Jaysus you’d be nearly pro with that kind of time off. Not to mention have a class cycling tan!!

Valverde does about 45000 a year

E Burke signing in

4 Likes

That’s some number. I’d know one or two lads who do around 18/20k a year and they are out the whole time. 45k, what’s that, 800 kms a week??

Sonething like that.goes out with a crew of buddies every day and race each other

I know it’s never too late to change careers. That said, I can’t see myself studying something else in my 40s & going into a different area in what would probably be a lower ranking (& hence paid) role.

But my Friday evening poser to a forum of majority cranky auld lads, if you were 17/18 again, would you pick the same career or a different one?

Again, I know there has to be (or should be) systems/laws/regulations to govern industries but I have these moments sometimes when I pause & reflect how ridiculous it is.

A large part of my week was going back & forth with a whole host of folks about whether we could record a loan sale as them paying us 100% & us giving them a 2% fee or should insist on a simple 98%.

My life partner in the other room having the most inane conversations about insurance & auditing.

If I had my time again, I think I’d like to have qualified in something that is practically useful for society rather than some pen pushing checks & balances shite. Maybe teaching or something.

9 Likes

You could still become a civil servant mate.

2 Likes

I often think like this, then think “fcuk.it, our ancestors spent their lives scratching a living off a few acres of stone, or down the mines or something, it’s not that bad”.

3 Likes

Never too late to have a go at teaching. Accounting teachers are in short supply.

4 Likes

This is a trick @Bandage . Dont do it. You’d be starting on very little compared to what you are on now. And teaching can be very difficult if you are unsuited to it. Ive done a lot of teaching and i dont think its your bag.

5 Likes

A class of secondary school boys would tear @Bandage apart

13 Likes

And for the most part they were content … we think we’re freer than them but we’re not … the sad truth for most is that the size of your mortgage determines your future career choices …

3 Likes

Snooker player

11 Likes

On teaching, I just threw it in as an example. I would be thinking primary school only, I couldn’t be dealing with older kids. On a general point, I think doing something useful to society & where it’s your own business/you’re your own boss would be ideal. Dentist or movement coach maybe? The trouble with things in the sporting field (excuse the pun) is that the hours would be irregular and eat into weekend time. So…1) useful to society, 2) own boss/business, 3) 9-5, Monday-Friday.

3 Likes

Dentist is supposed to be one of the most unsatisfying and depressing jobs going

I’d be a pharmacist if I wanted to do something relatively handy and well paid in that sphere

1 Like

How about politics? You strike me as the sort who’d have the intellect and charm to rise the political ladder very quickly. You could rectify the growing unease at the failure to establish a 2nd Educate Together Primary School in the Killester/Raheny area. You’d easily be classified as the respectable face of Sinn Fein in the Dail.

6 Likes

Good timing as well now they’ve jacked in that average industrial wage bullshit

Human rights lawyer or financial crimes prosecution lawyer.

You could take down your beloved Manchester City.