Celebrity Deaths - 2017

I loved the way Jimmy would commentate on AC Milan in the Champions League back in the day and remark how all Irish would remember Roberto Donadoni. He scores the goal in Rome that night in 1990 of course to knock us out of the World Cup.

Yesterday you’d have gotten a few likes for it but today you won’t be allowed that opinion.
A stone cold legend of Irish sport, the highlights reel will be long.

He would also list out All Ireland winning teams.

Memory man I suppose.

‘And all that happened in the sporting year that was 1971!’

Jaysus I’d have loved one of those Know Your Sport umbrellas.

I’d say @Sidney will be all over this thread.

In fact he is like a young Jimmy Magee although not as likeable.

1 Like

He would commentate on the GAA every now and again. I recall him commentating a Dublin match in the early 90s.

‘Duff! Ah great goal!!’

You mug.

My eldest brother was almost in tears when reminiscing about this commentary and the brilliance of Maradona at my wedding recently.

I am actually gutted about Jimmy’s passing. Like Bruce Forsyth and my old lad I thought they would go on forever but all of them went out quick in the end.

1 Like

Very sad, he was a living sporting encyclopedia. That was his true gift. He’ll be irreplaceable in that respect.

I presume RTE will still send him to the Olympics in 2020?

2 Likes

Ah no, watching Know your Sport is one of my earliest childhood memories. Was it 7pm or 8pm on a Monday night it was shown. Himself and a fresh faced George Hamilton.

Sad news, he didn’t seem the worst sort.

R.I.P.

Did he do the commentary for Carruth’s gold medal in Barcelona too?

Different class, different class.

1 Like

In fairness we have Google now.

4 Likes

True, Jimmy Magee never harvested my information and sold it to third parties though

Noel Andrews

My father played against the Jimmy Magee All Stars.

Ah he’s dead a while now tbf, but bed of heaven to him nonetheless.

It was tragic about the son.

RIP Jimmy.

Seemed like an alright sort, albeit someone who’d stifle the flow of conversation in a group situation as he’d go off on a lengthy reminiscence about something.

Useless commentator though.

2 Likes

Did it for radio, if I recall. Noel Andrews was the TV commentator

Ah here :rollseyes:

1 Like