Celebrity Deaths - 2017

RIP Jimmy. Very sad news.

A legend of Irish broadcasting ? Most definitely.

A legend of Irish sport ? Jesus, no.

Of Laois interest - I was at two functions over the years that Jimmy was MC/after dinner speaker at. Told the same yarn both times - coming out of the Jalisco Stadium, Guadalajara in a sea of samba beating Brazilian fans after they had beaten Poland in the Round of 16 at the 1986 World Cup. Next thing he heard an Irish voice shouting and it was directed at him - ‘Hey Jimmy, did you hear Wicklow beat Laois in Aughrim yesterday and there were about half a dozen sent off’.

Bants !!!

Cathage Buckley you cunt, I’ll have you on this thread eventually.

1 Like

Christ, was Jimmy alive back in 1810?

Ah the Jimmy Magee All Stars, what a thing. Was your auld fella in the showbands or the likes?

Toto schillaci

1 Like

He played the trombone with Mick Dels band for a while.

1 Like

Eh Ryle Nugent

Who?

He’s a little fellow with a voice like an excitable chipmunk whose mammy got him a job in RTE.

4 Likes

I know a fella who was most likely on that team a few times so.

His finest hour

Jimmy was “top drawer material”. RIP.

Donadoni took a shot and toto scored on the rebound.

2 Likes

I know that but my point is that Jimmy got it wrong.

He even commentated on the Ireland Italy match.

His commentary for the Hand of God was equally memorable.

Of course poor Jimmy thought it was a perfectly good goal initially.

So did I when I saw it in real time in all fairness. The different class for the second goal was memorable and one jimmy will be remembered for. And of course John Treacy in LA

I thought he was a great commentator. Back in the old days before RTE inexplicably hired that gimp George Hamilton Jimmy did all of the commentaries on the European Cup and European CWC finals. For some reason RTE never covered the Uefa cup finals. Great old teams like Magdeburg, Kiev, Tbilisi, Carl Zeiss Jena, Ferencvaros, that hardly get a look in now Jimmy made them sound like household names for an evening.

6 Likes

I found him boring myself when it came to team sports — Enjoyed him at the olympics, particularly when he did boxing.