Celebrity Deaths 2022

Unbelievable that you’d have no interest in visiting anywhere in Asia
Asia is pretty awesome in general

1 Like

Right, we’ve all been somewhere abroad. This isn’t the thread for Hector-esque reminiscences

18 Likes

I caught the travel bug after my first trip abroad, to Newry.

“ I had the best mug of tae in my life, from a tiny cafe in a village at the foot of the Alps. I was the first Irish man ever there.”

1 Like

23 counting the UK as one entity.

Lads counting the times they were waiting for connecting flight in some airport atein macdonalds as a visit to the country … vintage TFK…

3 Likes

I must have transferred through Heathrow 20 times but I’d never been to London, so one day I said I’d step outside just for pig-iron. It was raining so I went back inside pronto.

41 counting UK as 1.

Europe 15
Asia 7
Africa 7
Middle East 4
South America 4
Central America 2
USA
Australia

2 Likes

Why Vietnam @Fagan_ODowd? I find the other countries in the region much more interesting.

1 Like

Because of the war I suppose. I’ve read an awful lot about it.

1 Like

Informative.

I transited in Dubai airport for 7 hours once. Can I count that ?

I would.

2 Likes

Cambodia and Laos still fairly underdeveloped . Thailand has become incredibly westernised. Vietnam is somewhere in the middle tho the tourist trail is well worn. How’s Myanmar these days?

1 Like

Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar are least developed. They are several decades behind Vietnam and Thailand. Cambodia and Laos particularly under developed in education and globally among the weakest. Cambodia fares badly in human trafficking and corruption too. Laos has some better infastructure but in debt to China.

1 Like

Europe - 17
North America - 1
Africa - 1
Asia - 1
Middle East - 1

21 total counting UK as one.

1 Like

Austria
Belgium
China
Czechoslovakia
Denmark
East Germany
Finland
France
Holland
Hungary
India
Israel
Italy
Luxembourg
Portugal
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
UK
USA
West Germany
Yugoslavia

Vietnam is fascinating. I went to a lot of the battlegrounds from the war when I was there.

2 Likes

We went on some tour of tunnels, Cu Chi I think they were called. The tour guide informed us how he hated America and despised those that headed to the US after the war to avoid persecution. From what we could tell the tour was mostly made up of second generation Vietnamese over from the States which made the tour a tad awks. The war museum we went to was pretty graphic.

The Indochina War between Vietnam and France is fascinating too. Dien Bien Phu one of the great military engagements. General Giap was a genius with few equals as a military strategist.

3 Likes