Celebrity Deaths 2022

He was a skinhead at the 86 World Cup iirc

1 Like

Juventus fans display a banner reading “Go Gianluca fight for life like you did on the pitch…you will win !!!”, refering to former Juventus player Gianluca Vialli who revealed he suffers from cancer, during the UEFA Champions League group H football match Juventus vs Valence on November 27, 2018 at the Juventus stadium in Turin. (Photo by Marco BERTORELLO / AFP) (Photo credit should read MARCO BERTORELLO/AFP via Getty Images)

I suppose we can expect a tweet from Spewan calling him a bad footballer, wife beater and general asshole?

1 Like

What a bizarre thing to say.

That’s a lovely video. Wonderful, compact stadium packed to the rafters with passionate fans completely caught up in the moment.

These days we’re lucky to have a pocket (like the singing section in the Aviva) whilst the rest of the ground is just filled with sterile suits like myself.

5 Likes

but he had a full head of hair in the 1990 video clip

Well short anyway. Think they lost that game 1-0.

some man for a volley.

also, I have absolutely nor recollection of this:

1 Like

I might be wrong but I’m sure he’d a brother who lived in Dublin at some point in the 90’s/00s. Vialli used be over and back when at Chelsea. The father would sometimes meet them round the pubs. Gents the two of the them. The brothers that is.

5 Likes

An iconic team, iconic players, an iconic league, an iconic stadium, an iconic jersey. It was all downhill for Serie A from that moment on. That Sampdoria team was immensely likeable. It was a proper victory for the underdog.

Inter Milan v Sampdoria on May 5th, 1991 is one of the great club games of all time. I think it was the fourth last game of the season. Sampdoria went in one point ahead, it was still two points for a win. Inter battered them but Sampdoria somehow held firm and hit them on the break. Pagliuca saved a penalty from Matthaus to equalise and Sampdoria scored again on the break in the last minute. That game effectively clinched the title for Sampdoria.

Vialli was superb that season, he proved himself a great player after a disappointing World Cup in 1990. It’s often forgotten that he gave Schillaci a big helping hand in usurping him at that World Cup. Such was the quality of Vialli’s cross for Schillaci’s goal against Austria that he could scarcely miss. Vialli had a bit of a nightmare on the second game against the USA which led to him being dropped.

That Sampdoria v Lecce game which mathematically clinched the title was one of the early outings for the Martin Tyler-Andy Gray commentary partnership. Tyler’s commentary on the Inter Milan v Sampdoria game is great. “Grown men, hardened football men, they can scarcely believe their eyes…”

8 Likes

It still sickens me that the Koeman Barcelona team defeated Sampa in that Champions League Final.

Barry Glendenning tweeted this earlier. Gazzetta at its best.

1 Like

Terribly sad. Another icon of a bygone more simpler age gone.

3 Likes

This is lovely. Some great audio

1 Like

Peter Pringle died on New Years Eve. Mick
Clifford did some job on him in the Examiner the other day.

He was on joe duffy today after pringles wife accused him of cashing in on it

Mick Clifford was on with Joe?

Yep. I didnt catch it all but pringles wife came on all guns firing as I said accusing clifford of cashing in on it. A few cards that were i volved in it also came on. Clifford was on basically defending himself and I would say was backed up by the majority of the callers. I remember very little about it as I was only ten at the time. Iy only registered when it was brought up today