Celebrity Deaths 2023

That’s a proper celebrity death.

3 Likes

Such a great song.

2 Likes

No comment from Rory Gallagher

1 Like

Tina Turner was like a female Mick Jagger in terms of performing. Born to do it.

That hit me hard, rip Tina

I was watching Tina for n TOTP from the 80s there recently and noticed that her legs were nothing special really
How did she get that reputation?

A helluva story

Obituary

One day in 1976, a distraught Tina Turner turned up at the Ramada Inn in Dallas wearing a blood-stained white suit and with 36 cents in her purse. She had finally left her abusive husband Ike Turner after one beating too many.

The duo were meant to be playing a concert in Dallas that night but with her face “all beat up and battered and one eye swollen shut” she had reached the end of the road. The hotel manager gave her a room and posted a security guard at her door, in case Ike should discover where she was.

By the time their divorce was finalised two years later, Turner and her children were living on food stamps. Seldom had any chart-topping star fallen so low.

With no recording contract, she was reduced to playing low-rent cocktail lounges in an attempt to pay off the $500,000 of debts with which the split had saddled her. Even her name was not her own, for Ike had copyrighted it. As part of the settlement she got to keep her name but in return Ike loaded on to her the entirety of a vast tax bill that the couple owed on their musical earnings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Yet her pride and self-respect were intact and she gradually began not only to rebuild her life but to stage one of the most extraordinary comebacks in showbusiness history.

With an ambitious young Australian promoter named Roger Davies installed as her new manager, she determined to break out of the cabaret circuit and refashion herself as rock’s ultimate diva.

Her first step was to call on the help of some heavyweight celebrity fans. The Rolling Stones and Rod Stewart were persuaded to book her as their support act and David Bowie intervened to get her a recording contract, telling executives at his label, EMI, that she was his “all-time favourite singer”.

Turner on stage in 1990, in the middle of her second coming as an artist

ROB VERHORST/REDFERNS

To please their biggest star they signed her as Bowie’s vanity project but what happened next took everyone by surprise. When Turner’s 1984 single What’s Love Got to Do With It went to number one, the label was caught totally unprepared. It had been five years since her previous album and EMI had not thought to record another one.

She was rushed into the studio and two weeks later emerged with Private Dancer, which included a cover of Bowie’s song 1984 as a thank you. The album went on to sell 14 million copies and won Turner three Grammy awards. The washed-up has-been had gone almost overnight from living on food stamps to rivalling Michael Jackson and Madonna as the biggest-selling solo star of the decade.

Turner’s second coming continued with a film role in 1985’s Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, alongside Mel Gibson. The film gave her another hit single with its theme song, We Don’t Need Another Hero. That same year there followed a raunchy duet with Mick Jagger, which was one of the highlights of Live Aid, and there were further multimillion-selling albums with Break Every Rule (1986) and Foreign Affair (1989). Each new release was accompanied by a spectacular world tour and a 1988 concert in Rio de Janeiro, attended by 180,000 fans, earned Turner a place in the Guinness World Records.

Such a triumphal tale of resilience in the face of adversity was tailor-made for Hollywood, and her autobiography, I, Tina, was turned into the 1993 biopic What’s Love Got To Do With It, starring Angela Bassett as Tina and Laurence Fishburne as a particularly unpleasant Ike.

Turner in 1964. She had two children at this point, the first with the saxophonist of Ike Turner’s band the Kings of Rhythm, Raymond Hill

MICHAEL OCHS ARCHIVES/GETTY IMAGES

After a decade and a half back at the top, she announced she was signing out in 2000 with a farewell world tour. Despite being in her sixties she continued to wear her trademark mini-skirts, displaying the legs which President George W Bush had called “the most famous in showbusiness”. Her explanation for her skimpy costumes was simple. “You can’t dance in a long dress,” she said with a logic that was incontrovertible.

ADVERTISEMENT

She stayed retired until she was persuaded back for one last hurrah in 2008, to undertake what was billed as her 50th anniversary tour. Still not quite done, in 2013 she appeared on the cover of Vogue. At 73, she was by some way the oldest pin-up in the business.

Play Video

Tina Turner’s most famous songs

The fairytale extravaganza of the second half of her career made it easy to overlook her earlier successes as an R&B singer with her husband, particularly as she insisted that Private Dancer should not be called her comeback album. “It was Tina’s debut,” she said, having become one of the tiny handful of stars who are identifiable solely by their first name.

Yet the first phase of her career with Ike, in which the duo had topped the charts with Phil Spector’s River Deep, Mountain High, had in its way been every bit as momentous as her solo success, if considerably more troubled.

Born Annie Mae Bullock in 1938 in Nutbush, near Brownsville, Tennessee, she memorably described the rural poverty of her upbringing in the 1973 hit single Nutbush City Limits. Her home town consisted of little more than “church house, gin house, school-house, out-house” and it was in the choir of her local Baptist church that she took her first steps to becoming a singer.

Turner with her husband, Ike, in 1975. They divorced three years later, in 1978

MICHAEL PUTLAND/GETTY IMAGES

Her father, Floyd Bullock, was a sharecropper and she recalled picking cotton as a child. Her mother, Zelma (née Currie), already had two daughters and did not want another, so “little Annie” was passed around the family.

Her early years were spent living with her paternal grandparents before she was briefly reunited with her parents. When she was 11 her mother ran off to escape the abuse of her husband and she was sent to live with her maternal grandmother. The relationship with her mother remained strained all her life. “Mom was not kind,” Turner later said. “When I became a star she was happy because I bought her a house, but she still didn’t like me.”

At school she was a cheerleader and played in the girls basketball team, and a high school yearbook found her confidently predicting that she was going to be an “entertainer”. When her grandmother died in 1954, she was sent with her older sister Alline to live once again with their mother in St Louis, Missouri.

ADVERTISEMENT

She took a job as a hospital orderly and by night frequented the local R&B clubs with her sister. One evening at the Club Manhattan, where Ike Turner was playing, she asked if he she could get up and sing with his band, the Kings of Rhythm.

Ike was already a formidable music industry figure as a guitarist, session musician, producer, talent scout, disc jockey and songwriter and had been the man behind Jackie Brenston’s 1951 recording Rocket 88, frequently cited as the first rock’n’roll record.

She was just 17 and Ike dismissively refused her request. A few nights later she was back and during the band’s intermission grabbed the microphone and started belting out a BB King song.

Her impromptu performance tore the house down and Turner made her a part of his revue, initially billing her as “Little Ann”, before he changed her name to Tina and ordered her to develop a “wild” stage persona based on Sheena, Queen of the Jungle, a popular television series.

Turner in 1989, with the German music executive Erwin Bach. They met in 1986 and married in 2013, after a 27-year relationship

DAVE HOGAN/HULTON ARCHIVE/GETTY IMAGES

At 18 she fell pregnant by the band’s saxophonist, Raymond Hill, who disappeared before her son Craig was born, leaving her to bring him up as a single mother.

Ike invited her to move into his house, promising that the arrangement was platonic and purely for practical purposes. Inevitably, though, it led to the arrival of another son, Ronnie, in 1960. “I didn’t know how to say no because I would have been lost without him at that point because I needed the work,” she said. “I mean, I could do two things — work in a hospital or sing in Ike’s band. I didn’t know anything else.”

They married in Tijuana, Mexico, in 1962 and she adopted Turner’s two sons from his previous marriage. Her son Craig committed suicide in 2018.

ADVERTISEMENT

The relationship with Ike was abusive from the outset. On stage, Tina was an indomitable force of nature. Off stage, she was enslaved. She was heavily pregnant with their son, Ronnie, when Ike administered the first beating because she disagreed with the travel arrangements he had made for the band.

“Busted lips, black eyes, dislocated joints, broken bones and psychological torment became a part of everyday life,” she wrote in her autobiography. She attempted to conceal the bruises he inflicted with layers of make-up and once sang on stage with a broken jaw.

She also revealed that his cruelty had led her to attempt suicide when she took an overdose of sleeping pills before a concert in 1968. The backstage crew rushed her to hospital, where her life was saved by a stomach pump.

Ike went to his grave in 2007 insisting that the stories of his abuse were exaggerated. “Sure, I’ve slapped Tina. There have been times when I punched her to the ground. But I never beat her,” he said. The distinction was lost on all but him.

The Turner’s with their back up dancers, known as the Ikettes, in 1968. She became a buddhist in an attempt to forgive her husband for his abuse

MICHAEL OCHS ARCHIVES/GETTY IMAGES

One of the things that got her through was that she did not turn to drugs as an escape. “When Ike started to do drugs, I realised he had no control, and I felt I needed all the control I could get, living in that environment,” she noted.

Instead, in 1973 she became a Buddhist. She practised chanting and mediation but still found forgiveness hard. “Ike was not the sort of person it was easy to forgive,” she said. On his death in 2007 she issued a terse statement saying she hadn’t had any contact with him for 30 years and would not be making any further comment. She did not attend his funeral but subsequently said she “realised he was a sick person, an ill person at the soul”.

Yet there is not denying that it was Ike who made Tina Turner a star and that without him Annie Mae Bullock would in all probability have remained unknown. Her first hit with Ike came in 1960 by chance. He had booked a male vocalist to record a song called A Fool In Love and when he failed to show up and with the studio time paid for, Ike asked Tina to step in.

The song made number two on the R&B chart and crossed over to the mainstream pop chart, pushing her to the forefront of the group and prompting a name change to the Ike & Tina Turner Revue. “She really was young. She had no ambition to be a superstar,” said Jimmy Thomas, who sang background vocals for the revue. “But when she sang, she just had it. And Ike exploited it.”

A string of further hits followed as the revue became one of the most dynamic live shows on the circuit, with Tina’s short-skirted gyrating complemented by an equally leggy group of backing singers called the Ikettes.

Turner starred in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome in 1985, alongside Mel Gibson

ALAMY

As pop fashion and musical tastes changed, by the mid-1960s the hits had dried up, until in late 1965 Phil Spector (obituary January 17, 2021) came calling. After making some pioneering pop records earlier in the decade with girl groups such as the Crystals and the Ronettes, Spector’s own star was also in decline, his sound having been eclipsed by the more advanced pop productions of the Beatles and the Beach Boys.

He saw the big, dramatic voice of Tina Turner as the perfect vehicle for his own renaissance on a song written with Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich and titled River Deep, Mountain High.

With a bombastic and magnificently over the top symphonic backing, River Deep, Mountain High was Spector’s masterpiece as he laid Tina’s vocals on top of his “wall of sound” to create a track so thrilling that half a century later she claimed “it still gives me shivers”. Released in Britain in 1966, the record made the top three but in America it flopped, a failure that left Spector so disillusioned that he retired from record production.

Tina enjoyed working with Spector — or more specifically she enjoyed working without her husband. “Ike would always have me screaming and shouting on his songs to sell them,” she said. “Phil Spector just asked me to stick to the melody and to use my voice to tell the story.”

That there were no more records with Spector was a relief to Ike. Both men were control freaks and Spector reportedly paid him $20,000 to stay out of the studio while Tina recorded. As soon as Ike was back in charge, he returned to cheapskate, low-budget recordings for small, independent labels and the hits dried up once more.

The duo’s fortunes revived when the Rolling Stones asked them on the road in 1969 as their opening act, an invitation largely down to Mick Jagger’s unrequited lust for Tina.

Turner played the Acid Queen in Ken Russell’s 1975 film Tommy. A song from the album of the same name accompanied the movie

ALAMY

Astutely adjusting their sound to appeal to white rock audiences, the change of style returned Ike and Tina to the charts with covers of the Beatles’ Come Together and Credence Clearwater Revival’s Proud Mary, the latter giving the duo their first American top ten hit in 1971.

However, their partnership was fraying badly as an increasingly assertive Tina tired of Ike’s violent behaviour. Their final hit as a duo came with 1973’s Nutbush City Limits. Away from Ike she played the Acid Queen in Ken Russell’s 1975 film of The Who’s rock opera, Tommy, and to the surprise of no one, she left her husband for good the following year.

Asked why she had put up with his violence for so long, she replied, “Maybe I was brainwashed. I was afraid of him, and I knew that if I left, there was no one to sing.” Like many victims of domestic abuse, she blamed herself and said she had felt “ashamed”. Ike begged her to complete a scheduled tour with him to prevent the promoter suing for loss of earnings but she knew she had to make a clean break and refused.

As she rebuilt her career away from Ike, she also found personal contentment.

“I have not received love almost ever in my life. I did not have it with my mother and my father from the beginning of birth, and I survived,” she said in her 1986 memoir I, Tina. “Why did I get so far without love? I have had not one love affair that was genuine and sustained itself. Not one.”

Straight after the book was published she met Erwin Bach, a German music executive 16 years her junior, who had been sent by her European record label to meet her at DĂźsseldorf Airport.

“He was just so different,” she said. “So laid back, so comfortable, so unpretentious, and I needed love.” They set up home together in Zurich although they did not formally marry until 2013, when Turner also took Swiss citizenship, In addition to her main lakeside home, Château Algonquin, she also had homes in Cologne, London and Los Angeles, and a villa on the French Riviera.

Her later years were dogged by ill health. Shortly after her wedding she suffered a stroke and had to learn to walk and talk again. Three years later she was diagnosed with intestinal cancer. Kidney failure followed and she considered assisted suicide until Bach offered to donate one of his kidneys. She underwent a transplant in 2017 and her resilience in the face of adversity had won out yet again.

Throughout her illness she worked with the director Phyllida Lloyd on a stage musical based on her life story which opened in the West End in 2018 and transferred to Broadway the following year, with Adrienne Warren in the lead role.

“People think my life has been tough, but I think it has been a wonderful journey,” she said. “The older you get, the more you realise it’s not what happens, but how you deal with it.”

Tina Turner, the queen of rock’n’roll, was born on November 26, 1939. She died after a long illness on May 24, 2023, aged 83

3 Likes
2 Likes

Ike was one hell of a cunt.

7 Likes

To be fair you are more of a transvestite strip-tease man for kids as you’ve mentioned recently. So your opinion on legs might be a bit skewed.

She was a stunning Woman, long long after her prime. She had an incredible chassis, aside from all her other qualities.

2 Likes

Here you go buddy.

At least get the reply right FFS. @backinatracksuit

That’s a man, man.

Jeez, that’s a truly weird comment, no surprise where it’s come from :joy:

You brought transvestites into the conversation, buddy. I’m just giving you what you wanted.

1 Like

Mate, I’m not the one with the weird views.

Nam myoho renge kyo

It’s pretty weird that you’d choose this thread to bring up a comment that I made some months ago that you’d be more likely to die from a gunshot than attending a book reading :joy:

Very weird indeed :grinning:

What’s love scot to do, scot to do with it.

RIP. Hell of a voice

Ding, ding, ding.

Sick for a very long time.

A true great.

1 Like