Celebrity Deaths 2023

Sad. An incredible poet, probably our finest…even if in an interview stated that for all his roles, he wished to be remembered for his singing. An old colleague of mine met him on a day drinking session in Eamon Dorans many moons ago, and asked him what the best drug he ever did, and he replied, ‘Get a slice of bread, and put black shoe polish on both sides of the slice, and eat it’…followed by his distinct then guffaw for a laugh. The duet with Sinead had a ridiculous beauty to it, that never aged. I remember discovering a copy of ‘If I should fall from the grace of God’ in the house I lived in, in my first jaunt as an emigrant in Maryland and listening to ‘Thousands are sailing’ for the first time. It floored me. It really connected me on a level to those who sought something better, somewhere else on a level I didn’t know I needed. May he rest in peace, and may his partner find solace and speed in the processes of grief.

19 Likes

Thousands are Sailing is one of the greatest songs of all time

2 Likes

Not written by Shane ironically enough

2 Likes

The great Philip Chevron

2 Likes

Jimmy was a great character in Brookside. He got all the bad story lines. Mostly drink and drug orientated.

I remember he was trying to teach some young lad probability.

Jimmy hadn’t a clue until it clicked with him that it’s the same as the horses.
The young lad got an A but the mother wasn’t very impressed.

Only 68.
Prostate cancer…

Shane MacGowan and Jimmy Corkhill on the same day.

Bloody hell.

1 Like

One of our Greatest. The memories. Puckane '85, Glastonbury '86, SFX in Dublin '85 and '86, I was in my early 20s then so I was invincible too. What a front man. What a songwriter. Their gigs were a heady mix of chaos, booze, manic mosh pits and sing alongs. In tears here, Mrs Jones thinks I’m a complete fucking eejit. We lost a sister last Xmas, she loved the Pogues and coming up to the anniversary emotions are running very high, mad time of the year really. In a good way though.

34 Likes

Alistair Darling joins the list

1 Like

In the office here blasting out ‘A Pair of Brown Eyes’ :cry:

2 Likes

Louise was playing a few tunes there on RTE 1

2 Likes

A long day for the political obituary team

1 Like

:open_mouth:

1 Like

What a cunt Blair is. Heres a decent rundown on kissinger.

4 Likes

Brigit Forsyth (Thelma in Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads) died the other day. Nice tribute by the Roscommon champions to win for her today.

1 Like

What city was set in ? It was repeated on Rte in the late 90s I think . It was so grim

Newcastle. I didn’t find it grim at all.

1 Like

Did the two actors fall out ?

Yes, James Bolam is by all accounts a cunt. Rodney Bewes died about 10 years ago, they hadn’t spoken for decades.

1 Like

Yep.

Good summary here

2 Likes