Celebrity Deaths 2024 (play either flank of a back 4)

He’s not a celeb tho.

If your name was Paul Creedon, Apollo Creed would have been a cert to be your nickname.

There was a Dublin banner “Rocky III” at the 1983 Cork-Dublin replay in Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

Dublin went into the bear pit that day and downed the reds like Rocky Balboa in Moscow.

Cork’s Tom Creedon died the same day.

1 Like

That was very sad, I’d forgotten it was the same day, I always think of Tom Creedon whenever I put the handbrake on parking on a hill.

Rocky 4 was a superb cinema experience, poor old Apollo was dead by then but the Capitol cinema had an employee start the Rocky chant during the Drago fight, it was like being at a real fight

2 Likes

Anybody who says they don’t love Rocky IV or the Rocky IV soundtrack is lying.

Cark

Into Paddington we did roll with an empty crate of ale.
Will had lost at cards and now his Western Mail’s for sale.
But Will is very happy though his money all has gone:
He swapped five photos of his wife for one of Barry John.

And we were singing hymns and arias,
‘Land of my Fathers’, ‘Ar hyd y nos’.

1 Like

What was the story with him retiring so young?

Retired at 27. No more worlds left to conquer.

Was he a big drinker as a player? Looked absolutely class from the clips lovely glidey run. That 70s Welsh rugby team were iconic. I had one of those great sporting moments type books as a child that had a good bit of stuff on them and the 71 lions etc. Back in the days when a sports mad kid would only know about stuff like that by reading about it and photos.

I’m not entirely sure about that but don’t think he was necessarily a big drinker in his playing days. That came later. He was mates with George Best alright. I don’t remember him in his pomp as he retired in 1972 but I do remember Phil Bennett and the great Welsh team from about 1975 onwards.

He’s widely viewed as the greatest out half ever and looking at the old footage of him, you can see how. The fact that the New Zealand press corps christened him as ‘The King’ on the 1971 British Lions tour says it all. They generally don’t hand out too many bouquets outside of their own.

Barry John was from the same village in Carmarthenshire, Cefneithin as the 1971 British Lions coach, Carwyn James.

1 Like

Nice to see @Cheasty and @ChairmanDan talking to themselves here

Fire up a few Barry John anecdotes of your own there.

It was a quip on an age old forum urban legend mate.

RIP Barry

He wrote some great scores for the James Bond movies in fairness

There’s a Barry John statue on the quay in Wexford. Think he was born in the county & went on to found the US Navy or something. Didn’t know he was a talented rubby player too.

2 Likes

That’s John Barry from Tacumshane, not to be confused with Barry John from Cefneithin. We were brought to see the cottage he was born in one year when we were summer holidaying in Wexford in the late 1970’s. Two great men in their respective fields. The bed of heaven to the pair of them.

5 Likes

Nailed it

Cant believe no one has him

He’s Camilla’s, and no-one elses

Camilla will have to cop off with Will Carling.

Former Taoiseach John Bruton.