Celebrity Deaths 2024 (play either flank of a back 4)

Terry Phelan is the 1990s’ most iconic left back.

Did he “reinvent” himself to Tom Carr a few years ago

2 Likes

It was a bit like snow in Dublin, no matter how hard he tried it wouldn’t stick.

Terry was the inspiration behind one of the greatest chants out there. I think it was when he was at Everton and had been injured for a long time. He eventually returned, only to get injured very early on.

Queue famous scouse wit…

We’ve lost our Terry Phelan,
Wooooooooah our Terry Phelan
We’ve lost our Terrrrrrrrrrrrry Phelan, now he’s gone, gone gone,
Woooooooooooooahhhhhhhhhh.

1 Like

There’s a nice bit in Joseph O’Connor’s 1994 World Cup Diary about Irish supporters drinking in his hotel the night before the Italy game. Marvin Gaye’s “Sexual Healing” comes on the jukebox and the Irish supporters change the words initially to “Sexual Ronnie Whelan” and then, with a lovely sleight of hand, to “Sexual Terry Phelan”.

I won’t lie, I was half expecting to see a Pascal Vaudequin or pajo Flynn in there somewhere

2 Likes

The conversation is about left backs. You included a right back from a farmer’s league. In fairness Danny looked more like a farmer than a footballer.

Good but not as good as the one penned in tribute to another Everton left back, Leighton Baines

(To the tune of Carly Simon’s “You’re so vain”).

Leighton Baines,
Your probably think this song is about you,
Leighton Baines…

3 Likes

Monday night on Eurosport used to go around to all the european leagues . Or was it screensport ??
Hugo Sanchez would be rattling them in Spain , Wim keft and Romario in Holland , can’t remember the Belgian league much

That tackle on Gazza was filth

https://twitter.com/90sPlayers/status/1759858376387739722

I’d hate to see you posting about the worst ever soccer chants.

Come
On
You
Boys in Blue.

Thread locked.

I’ve heard laois fans singing it. Not for quite some time mind you.

Ffs 60 unread posts you would think an actual A lister was after biting the bullet, take the halcyon soccer spiel to the appropriate thread.

2 Likes

You had to come back with something I suppose. Even Larry Holmes got up and tried to swing before realising he was already dead.

1 Like

Stuart “Psycho” Pearce played 401 times for Nottingham Forest and scored 63 goals.Most of,if not all scored in the top tier of English football.

He was also a qualified Electrician and was known for doing nixers midweek to keep the ship afloat.He did that throughout his Forest career.
Now,I cant imagine Maldini was chasing walls with a kango or up a ladder putting in a sensor light on the gable of a dormer bungalow in his heyday.

Stuart was and deserves to be mentioned as a hall of famer.If he concentrated on Football alone,he would have been the GOAT.

1 Like

When you’re starting the second paragraph with the fact that he was an electrician, you know you’re in trouble.

Just giving an insight to his life at the time.A broad pictue.

You’re getting very like your mate the canadian goose claiming imaginary interest victories.

1 Like

He was some man to be running an electricians business all his life as an average professional footballer.