Celebrity Deaths 2024 (play either flank of a back 4)

I don’t think any sport was meant to have the analysis it is subjected to today , especially GAA .

Ashley Cole possibly the greatest English left back. He destroyed Ronaldo every time they met

2 Likes

Hes not next nor near the levels of Brehme,Pearce or Maldini.
Great player when fit,ill agree.But thats seldom.

What about Denis Irwin?

cc @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

2 Likes

The best of the so called golden generation

1 Like

Brehme did Quickly Kevin Podcast also, a little tricky with the language but he came across well.

I didnt know anything of him post football, what went on?

RIP, an iconic left foot in an iconic German side.

As the man says, he had everything in his locker…

Maldini is the best left back of all time. No arguments.

He may well be the best defender of all time and maybe even one of the greatest players of all time full stop.

To include Pearce with him in a conversation about top left backs is sacrilegious .

10 Likes

Did he not play centre back for most of his career?

Pearce was of a time… Maldini transcends time and could play in any era.

No.

Billy and Baresi took those roles.

He played centre back in the 1994 European Cup final when they were suspended. And was majestic.

A real footix.

id have the top 10 in this order
Fachetti
Tassotti
Cabrini
P Maldini
C Maldini
Cafu
Carlos
Lahm
McGrain
morris

3 Likes

Pearce tried to run off a broken leg once which shows the brain/foot communication flow was not conducive with being a skilful player. A carthorse who probably got blood on his white jersey and showed those foreigners he was a proper player.

It has made it increasingly joyless.

I like my tactical analysis to be of the “hold it there” variety.

Sport mirrors the world of work and its expansion into industries full of bullshit jobs and corporate jargon.

Sport is meant to be about getting fit, being heathy, having fun, and pints. At a spectator sport level it’s meant to be about pints, memories, stories, culture, traditions handed down. It’s meant to be about accessibility.

GAA tactical analysis is meant to be long years of recrimination about why manager X put player Y man marking opponent Z. And long years of vilification of manager X for not spotting that player Y was getting roasted.

What’s Tommy Carr at these days?

2 Likes

Fonseca at Cagliari and Signori with Lazio were class in that era

Danny McGrain was a right back.

so was tassotti mate, how did you not know that :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

@admin i think its time to bring back IOTM

1 Like

Alan Kennedy was the best left back of my lifetime.

And Cesare :smiley:

1 Like