Celebrity Deaths 2024 (play either flank of a back 4)

Craig Shakespeare turned his virtue on to pitch.

Ah that’s who it was. I was at a game tonight and someone mentioned to my friend Rick that he’d died. Rick took it pretty badly which surprised me, but his mate said quietly to me that, ‘alas, your Rick knew him so well.’

I never knew.

Graham Thorpe RIP

1 Like

Gena Rowlands, RIP. An absolute icon

1 Like

Jim McLaughlin RIP. He really was a legend.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024/0815/1465191-legendary-manager-jim-mclaughlin-dies-aged-83/

2 Likes

Nell Mccaffrey has died, aged 80.

Thought she was older.

1 Like

From the days of the Late Late Show and Questions and Answers - I always recall her being a mad yoke yet a decent sort.

RIP

4 Likes

Indo never not at it.

11 Likes

She had a high profile long term girlfriend I think? Can’t remember who now. I always liked her as a young lad watching the late late taking no shit from gay Byrne.

3 Likes

Nuala o Faolain. I think they split before Nuala died.

1 Like

They had. I think O’Faolain was bisexual and was living with a man when she died.

1 Like

Dunphy’s last word used to do a fairly cruel skit on Nell. I think she never spoke and it was just someone making pig noises. Hard to believe they got away with it.

Gay must have enjoyed her, in my memory she was on the LLS every week back then

2 Likes

I wonder was she the most recognisable Irish woman in Ireland at one stage, she was a proper big name

Always liked her. She (and Eamonn McCann) wrote a column in hot press when I was of an age for that stuff. Equal parts courageous and contrary the pair of them.

To be fair no-one was safe, and we know now how spot on they were betimes.

One of the things I remember her for is praising the nuns for providing shelter for battered wives and those with unplanned pregnancies, even if it was mainly to point out that no-one else appeared to give the slightest fuck - a point that has been long since lost.

RIP Nell

11 Likes

https://twitter.com/shockproofbeats/status/1826170796425015613?s=46
Thought this was a nice tribute from a fellow Derry writer.

5 Likes

RTE going over the top in their coverage of “Nell”

Her voice would go through you…

Nell’s greatest accomplishment must be managing Faughenvale to a victory over Galtee Gaels in Celebrity Bainisteoir back in the day

3 Likes

She did the state broadcaster some service in fairness.

She must have been on retainer in there in the 90’s/early 00’s