Celebrity Deaths 2024 (play either flank of a back 4)

He commentated on a lot of derby games in the 1990s and my memory is he was relatively even handed.

Bonner howlers cost us in two world cups but he also cost us qualification for Euro ‘92 with those two gifts he gave to Poland when we were 1-3 up.

What did he mean bonner nearly made it 3 from 3?

There’s some homework for you to do.

Nope

Sure, but we were worth the win v Italians, Sheridan should’ve made it 2-0 really, don’t recall them missing any sitters?

Otb devoting nearly half of their programme to schillachi. RIP to the man, but a bit over the top.
Would any other country keep harking back to a tournament 34 years ago where we didn’t win 1 game in open play?

You chaps wouldn’t get it

1 Like

They’re revelling in the fact they recorded a strained interview with him

https://twitter.com/FabioRussello/status/1836414002689155331

2 Likes

It’s well before my time but was their any alternative to Bonnar?

Gerry Peyton I think his name was .

1 Like

He was number 2 for a long time

Jim McDonagh was around early 80s too. Alan Kelly came in early 90s

It was really only Bonner as an option as far as I recall

1 Like

Was he worse?

Take up knitting packie Bonner

Lineker can do that too

Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Steven Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn’t let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go

Yes. He was getting on at that stage I believe. Played with Bournemouth who were a 2nd/3rd division team back then but we’re moving up the ranks. Think that was when Harry Redknapp was in charge. Actually Gerry and Jamie Redknapp might have ended up playing together.

Alan Kelly was decent enough but he came later on and had the spell in goal between Bonner and Given.

When I was 8, I stupidly thought Bonner was a great keeper based on him saving one penalty. A week later, I realised he wasn’t. My first full football kit was the yellow goalkeeper kit (which I got in 1991, probably reduced), which came in a box from Adidas.

2 Likes

Ah it was an incredible time to be a football fan in Ireland. I watched the English and Egyptian games in Michael Leos in Nenagh, Dutch game in the Dropping Well, Romania in the Boars Head, and Italy in Cootehill. Time of my life, the country went nuts, nothing like it before or since, and never again. Arrived back in Dublin with Mrs Jones as the team paraded down O’Connell St, off the charts, and just then it looked as if Cameroon would knock out England. Life was perfect then

7 Likes

I don’t remember much about him to be honest

Completely agree. Italy win in '94 aside, I’ve never seen anything coming close to it. Hanging out of the back of my auld fellas Ford Alpine, Waving a tricolor out the window. The joy on everyone’s face. Seeing lads drowning themselves in suds in the Eyre Square fountains, is something that will always stay with me. It was like someone gave the entire Country a giant shock into life, like getting a defibrillator to the nations flatlining chest. We never looked back after that tournament/summer.

One of the most famous names associated with it is now gone. RIP Toto. He was part of one of the times of our lives.

12 Likes

Lads standing up in bars for our anthem. Tables of drinks turned over when we scored. Glory days

2 Likes