Celebrity Deaths 2024 (play either flank of a back 4)

Dion Fanning: Italia 90 was the peak for Ireland fans – sadly the same was true for ‘Toto’ Schillaci

Salvatore ‘Toto’ Schillaci broke Irish hearts in Italia 90. Photo: Getty

Dion Fanning

Today at 13:56

If you weren’t around for Italia 90, you will undoubtedly have formed the impression that this was a time of unreserved joy. Your view will have been shaped by Nessun Dorma, The Van and footage from Dublin’s Walkinstown roundabout after Ireland beat Romania .

You will tell yourself that this was a time when people were happy. You may even lament that such simple emotions are unavailable to us in the modern uncertain world.

If you support the Irish football team in 2024 but don’t remember Italia 90, these feelings will be even more acute. You will believe you missed out on paradise and have been condemned to the temporal punishment of purgatory, otherwise known as watching Jayson Molumby play in midfield.

I would like to tell you now not to fall into this trap. Some of us who were there for Italia 90 remember it differently. Sure we were happy some of the time, but what is forgotten is that we were also extremely stressed. And Salvatore ‘Toto’ Schillaci was the source of much of that stress.

He scored the goal that knocked Ireland out of the World Cup in the quarter-final, but he played more of a role than that. The stress came from hoping somehow that this player who went into the tournament as a relative unknown could be overlooked by the Italian manager. We hoped that Azeglio Vicini could somehow fail to notice that he wasn’t picking his best team.

I would liken this to the plot of a thriller, but sadly in reverse if you were Irish. Instead of Vicini working feverishly to find a solution before the world ends, we were hoping that the obvious talent he was ignoring would somehow continue to be overlooked beyond the quarter-final. Today, somebody would probably give us a talk about controlling the controllables or trusting the process, but back then we were surrendering to superstition and trying to control everything.

Vicini had given us hope by initially overlooking not only Schillaci, but Roberto Baggio, who Juventus had bought from Fiorentina for a world-record fee a month before the World Cup. Vicini was sticking with the late great Gianluca Vialli and the workmanlike Andrea Carnevale.

Memory persuades me that this air of uncertainty persisted until close to Ireland’s game against Italy, but the facts are different. Through injury to Vialli and the determination of Schillaci to make his mark, Italy had landed on their best forward line by the end of the group stage.

When they beat Czechoslovakia 2-0, Baggio delivered one of the great World Cup goals. And Schillaci, who had come off the bench in the opening game to score, finished a move with one of those goals that were coming to define him.

“Baggio and Schillaci scored goals that could be put in a picture frame, they were that good,” Vicini said later.

Schillaci scored again in the round of 16 and we know what happened in the quarter-final in Rome.

His goal has become part of folklore, the subject of party pieces and one-liners. It is part of who we are. Schillaci is part of who we are. That he was Sicilian of course added to the sense of theatre he brought to his ruthless business of scoring goals. He played with the intensity of a player who was going to take this opportunity.

It is easy to imagine a counterfactual where Vicini stuck with his original strikers. In this alternative reality, Packie Bonner parries the ball to Andrea Carnevale, not Schillaci, and Carnavale shoots tamely wide before Ireland go on to win on penalties. But this doesn’t feel right.

Schillaci’s crazed eyes as he scored are as much a part of Ireland’s experience of Italia 90 as a nation holding its breath, Eamon Dunphy throwing a pen and Bonner’s grimace.

It’s true that those days can feel more authentic. Things became so commodified since that Schillaci himself featured in a (very good) Smithwick’s ad in 2002.

He was 25 at that World Cup. He had signed for Juventus the year before following a career outside Serie A.

He would score one more goal for Italy in his career. Nothing he achieved in football ever came close to that summer. We would probably say the same, which might explain the enduring bond.

There was another connection. Both Ireland and Schillaci were taken by surprise by all that happened. Today it is hard to believe that anything can be spontaneous, unexpected or, when it comes to Irish football, joyous.

Today we watch videos on YouTube with titles like How Ireland Became Bad At Football and then boo whoever gets man of the match.

Sure, we might have been stressed as we thought of what Schillaci could do, but we were also free of expectation. So when Nessun Dorma plays and you experience that involuntary Proustian rush, it takes us back to that time when everything seemed simple. And in the memory it was, which is probably all that matters.

At least it was until ‘Toto’ Schillaci appeared on the scene.

1 Like

The official song of RTE Italia '90 montages.

1 Like

I was only 3 at the time of Italia 90; I’d say Schillaci was the first non Irish player that I became aware of following the tournament. I remember hearing the brother’s play out in the garden with friends and one of them always wanted to be Schillaci for the “match”.

1 Like

I got as far as Dion fanning there

3 Likes

If you have not read this Roddy Doyle article from 1993 and were not old enough to experience its truth, you will not know.

The thing I probably recall most about the 1990 World Cup is the quality of the air. This was still around five months before the ban on smoky coal.

The air was heavy, not with smog but with something. It wasn’t even expectation. It was sick, glorious, innocent, nervous tension. It was culmination. It was aliveness. This was the finest air you could ever breathe.

To experience all this at 10 years old and knowing that it wasn’t ever going to get better or bigger than this probably set a lot of people up very badly for life. You could only be disappointed afterwards.

I sometimes think it would have been better to experience a World War and rationing early on and then to play out with the summer of 1990. You’d have died happy. We’ll all die unhappy and cynical and worried and with Ireland losing at home to Kazakhstan in a dead rubber qualifier between the bottom two teams in UEFA qualifying group J for the 72 team 2050 World Cup.

However if you were late in life in 1990 you would not have experienced most of the wider popular culture of the time from which that tournament will always be indivisible. If you weren’t around you won’t know.

Schillaci’s function was to eliminate Ireland in a way that didn’t make us feel bad or humiliated. We didn’t get hockeyed 4-0, or lose on penalties to a no mark team like Romania. We were beaten by one goal and one goal only by HIM - SCHILLACI - the man who was God for four short weeks and would never be heard of again except to be remembered forever - and we were beaten by ITALY - the host nation and the inevitable World Cup winners - in ROME. And we all met the Pope. Again. Sure weren’t we his children, as somebody once wrote in a book.

https://www.theguardian.com/observer/irelandfootball/story/0,,586469,00.html

2 Likes

That’s amazing. I’m always wary to not to look back on the past with too much nostalgia. Because your memory can play tricks on ya. But it was a special time.

I was about to turn 8 at the time. After that tournament the world seemed to be way less cynical. Even to my young self there was so much more optimism in the air afterwards. The terrible 1980s, with its mass emigration and moving statues ended when Kevin Sheedy equalised against England. When Bonner saved the penalty, It was like the entire country won an All Ireland title.

What I wouldn’t give to see something like it happen again…

Schillacci’s legacy is that his surname is still widely used across a number of Dublin housing estates as a term of endearment/abuse depending on your location. I use it myself on occasion.

As for Bonner, has one man ever took so much coin from the FAI with zero visible return apart from John Delaney? What does he actually ‘do’?

1 Like

The months between October 1989 and July 1990 were the most exhilarating to live through in my life. We qualified for the World Cup and the Berlin Wall came down and Ceaucescu got Ceaucescued and Nelson Mandela was released and Thatcher was circling the drain of exit and the music and the sticker albums and the football magazines and the sweets and the ice pops were un-be-fucking-lievable. Then Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait and things have been going downhill ever since.

Growing up in Ireland in the 1980s you understood, it was understood, that you came from a dull, grey, filthy backwater, that the place was the literal valley of the squinting windows. That it was shit to be Irish. Then some time around or shortly after my maturing into being a properly conscious human being with an embryonic frame of reference about the world around me, which happened around about January 1987, this feeling began to slowly lift. The years 1987 to 1990 were filled with emigration, but you could feel something was bubbling. In hindsight it was an explosion of youth and anger and creativity and newness.

The 1990 World Cup is the most important cultural event in this island’s history, well, at least until the point where anybody nobody alive remembers it, which is an uncomfortably short time away in the grand scheme of things.

Because at the end of it, people understood that it actually wasn’t shit to be Irish. And they have been desperately trying to recreate that feeling of awakening ever since and failing.

4 Likes

I mean they say things are better now, but if that’s true, why were sweets and ice pops so much better in 1990?

This t-shirt was on sale in Roches Stores in the Frascati shopping centre in Blackrock on a Saturday afternoon in April 1990. I did not buy it as I had no money and I stupidly did not ask anybody else to buy it for me.

1 Like

Didn’t Germany win the 90 world cup?

Isn’t it just remarkable with the whole country going football mad a few times that the FAI couldn’t manage to get anything out of it.

They did. The Western bit did anyway.

There’s some very try hard revisionism going on here, which somehow doesn’t surprise me.
Donadoni’s shot was an absolute bullet that probably took a deflection and Bonner probably should have saved it. But to tar him with that is rather disingenuous.
Charlton himself absolutely bollocked John Aldridge for turning the ball over in the first place and never criticised Bonner for the goal.
Bonner was far and away the first and best choice keeper during those years. Gerry Peyton was a faithful servant to Ireland, but had no where near the experience or top level game time Bonner was getting.
Bonner commanded the box, he organised the back four brilliantly, important given McCarthy was in front of him alongside one of the most beautiful players we’lll ever see, who played crippled most of the time so he needed that help.
Bonner was perfect for the Charlton set up, which wasn’t pretty but obviously was effective.

RIP Toto, far too young for him to go. He gave us great enjoyment. It’s actually fairly typical of us that Ireland would embrace him as a friend.

1 Like

This thread

2 Likes

Totò Schillaci, footballer whose goals lit up Italia ’90 but whose career rapidly fell away

He won the Golden Boot as top scorer and Golden Ball as best player at the World Cup but played only a few more games for Italy

Telegraph Obituaries