Celtic 2012/2013 season discussion thread

We could do with signing a defender before the Champions League qualifiers. I was glad to see us part company with the likes of Wilson, Cha, Loovens, Majstorovic, Oā€™Dea and a couple of others but we donā€™t really have any depth now and Lustigā€™s injury adds to that issue.

Celtic Underground last night said that Rodallega was a done deal but theyā€™ve just tweeted saying that they were fed false information, the playerā€™s agent is trying to generate interest in him and their contact high up in Celtic Park has told them thereā€™s nothing to the story. :rolleyes:

Was never overly keen on Rodallega so not too fussed one way or the other.

Lennon seems to be on holiday at the moment I think. Hopefully that doesnā€™t slow or stop the pursuit of players, particularly a centre back as the most presisng need. Again. Itā€™s ridiculous how many transfer windows we have endured without that situation being addressed even half adequately. Hope we donā€™t rely on sub-par low budget acquisitions like Wilson and Majstorovic again. The budget will dictate that the centre back will have to be (relatively) cheap but spending half our budget on a centre back shouldnā€™t be out of the question.

Linked with Tranmere right back Danny Holmes today, I donā€™t think the signs are boding too well for us this summer lads.

Dexter Blackstock the latest name to crop up, twitter rumours say we could be about to sign some 16 yr old from Real Madrid.

I think Lawwell is going to be a cunt and curtail our budget given our likely stroll to success in the Ranger-less SPL.

Iā€™m getting worried with the lack of activity so far, I think the Rangers situation has curtailed our ambition - Lawwell is an utter cunt, IMO. Iā€™d also tell Forster to sling his hook, heā€™s had ample time to decide and seems to be holding out for some other side.

Michael Ciani, 28 year old French centre back with Bordeaux with one international cap, is linked with us in French media this morning.

Celtic and Alan Thompson have reached an ā€œamicableā€ settlement and have released a joint statement. Good to get it cleared up anyway.

[left]CELTIC PLC and Alan Thompson are pleased to advise that they have reached an agreement to amicably settle their legal dispute.
[/left][left]Celtic PLC extend their thanks to Alan for his services to the Club as a top-level player and a first-class coach. Alan would like to express his deep gratitude for the overwhelming and heartfelt backing he has received from Celtic fans everywhere, and for the support of his legal team at Bridge Litigation UK Solicitors.

[left]Alan intends to continue his coaching career, building on the invaluable experience gained during his time with Celtic. Alan wishes Celtic Football Club and the fans every success for the future.[/left]
[/left][left]Celtic would like to thank Alan for the contribution he has made to the Club over a number of years as both a player and a coach, and we sincerely wish him well for the future.

[/left]

Fraser Forster has reportedly signed.

Daily Mail saying that personal terms were agreed and he has officially signed. The buyout we had previously negotiated is Ā£2m. Great to have that sorted.

Fraserā€™s girlfriend has confirmed this on twitter.

Iā€™m not familiar with this how this twitter thing works but does this mean you follow forsterā€™s bird ?

No, it means someone who I follow retweeted it. They may follow Forsterā€™s bird, or more likely they may have been looking at Forsterā€™s account and noticed she had tweeted him.

Some speculative speculation this morning that Ki is on his way to QPR. Seems to be based on QPR signing an unnamed Korean and plenty of people concluding it must be Ki.

Oh and the Forster signing is now officially confirmed on the official site.

I wouldnā€™t have been too pushed with Forster signing this time last year but he improved greatly last season and was excellent from around November onwards. Good to get it sorted and a 4-year deal ties up an important position for the long term.

Kiā€™s also commanding interest from Borussia Dortmund according to a random Korean chap on Twitter. Iā€™m happy to take his tweet at face value. I change my mind about Ki all the time. Our main focus will be on progressing to the Champions League group stages and his passing would be more important at that level compared to the more combative Kayal, Wanyama etc.

[quote=ā€œBandage, post: 670813ā€]I wouldnā€™t have been too pushed with Forster signing this time last year but he improved greatly last season and was excellent from around November onwards. Good to get it sorted and a 4-year deal ties up an important position for the long term.

Kiā€™s also commanding interest from Borussia Dortmund according to a random Korean chap on Twitter. Iā€™m happy to take his tweet at face value. I change my mind about Ki all the time. Our main focus will be on progressing to the Champions League group stages and his passing would be more important at that level compared to the more combative Kayal, Wanyama etc.[/quote]

Indeed. While we do have an abundance of good midfielders there are degrees of similarity between Brown, Ledley, Wanyama, Kayal and Ki is a really different option. He probably does need a 3 man central midfield to thrive but that could well be a favoured option in European games. That said, if decent money to be reinvested in the team is the alternative then I donā€™t think weā€™re in a position to turn down a fair offer for a guy on the fringes.

[quote=ā€œBandage, post: 670813ā€]I wouldnā€™t have been too pushed with Forster signing this time last year but he improved greatly last season and was excellent from around November onwards. Good to get it sorted and a 4-year deal ties up an important position for the long term.

Kiā€™s also commanding interest from Borussia Dortmund according to a random Korean chap on Twitter. Iā€™m happy to take his tweet at face value. I change my mind about Ki all the time. Our main focus will be on progressing to the Champions League group stages and his passing would be more important at that level compared to the more combative Kayal, Wanyama etc.[/quote]

Indeed. While we do have an abundance of good midfielders there are degrees of similarity between Brown, Ledley, Wanyama, Kayal and Ki is a really different option. He probably does need a 3 man central midfield to thrive but that could well be a favoured option in European games. That said, if decent money to be reinvested in the team is the alternative then I donā€™t think weā€™re in a position to turn down a fair offer for a guy on the fringes.

Ki to be sold and young Norwegian creative midfielder Markus Henriksen to be signed from Rosenborg to replace him, according to my sources.

We announced a pre-season friendly at home to Internazionale today.

Iā€™m really pissed off at the lack of transfer activity so far, I have no doubt this is Lawellā€™s doing and that he has no intention of bothering to spend money and improve the squad due to the demise of the huns.

I hope weā€™re not waiting to sell someone like Ki before we make any further moves. We need to benchmark ourselves against European sides and make an impression at that level so we need to make a few signings. I guess getting Forster tied down to a permanent deal is a decent start though and thereā€™s a bit of time to play around with.

Would have liked to have a centre back in already but if we get one in the next 7-10 days Iā€™d be happy enough with that timing. Not sure how likely that is but Iā€™d imagine thereā€™s some money there for investment - the issue might be that the strategy is generally about buying with the future in mind and this summer I think we need a few more experienced players in who may not have the same resale value.

Kim Bo Kyung (who confusingly shares a name with a more famous Korean singer) has told the Korean media that heā€™s in talks with Celtic. Heā€™s in the Korean Olympics squad (for football thankfully) alonngside Ki. He seems to be a 22 year old winger with 13 senior caps to his name. He plays in the J League and has 7 goals in 12 appearances this season.