Celtic 2012/2013 season discussion thread

Very strange one. Pity something more amicable couldnā€™t be worked out privately.

Very surprised at the news. Had there been any rumours about problems?

Thompson had been done for drink driving this season and has apparently been spotted out in Glasgow frequently enough which has led to loads of unsubstantiated rumours regarding his lifestyle etc. There does seem to be some sort of bust-up between him and Lennon which I am disappointed by.

Disgraceful treatment of the ex Villa man. At least it gives Gary Parker to move into full time coaching and retire from his thriving painting and decorating business. Tommy Johnson is being linked with a return to Parkhead to join Lenny on the coaching staff.

[quote=ā€œMr. Totti, post: 670783ā€]Thompson had been done for drink driving this season and has apparently been spotted out in Glasgow frequently enough which has led to loads of unsubstantiated rumours regarding his lifestyle etc. There does seem to be some sort of bust-up between him and Lennon which I am disappointed by.
[/quote]

Indeed and we probably wonā€™t find out what exactly happened seeing itā€™s become a legal dispute now. I imagine heā€™ll get a pay-out given he had a 12-month rolling contract and Celtic will get him to sign a confidentiality agreement. Itā€™ll be interesting to see if Neil is happy to continue with just Johan and Garry supporting him or whether heā€™ll look to replace Thompson.

Juarez signed for Club America earlier, no mention of any fee.

An awful lot off the wage bill already: Juarez, Wilson, Majstorovic, Oā€™Dea, McGinn, Cervi, Brozek all gone. Are Loovens, Towell and Cha confirmed departures yet? Rasmussen, Josh Thompson and Murphy will hardly still be here next season either.

Plenty of those lads would have been on reasonable enough wages so should free up a fair amount of weekly expenditure anyway even if transfer fees are hard to come by.

Indeed. Itā€™s fairly good progress though many of those names could have been offloaded a year earlier.

Daryl Murphy is reported to be close to signing for Ipswich for a nominal fee.

We were paired with Hugo Rodallega today, heā€™s available on a bosman. Would be very happy to see us sign him but I think itā€™s probably unlikely given top tier major European clubs can afford to pay him more.

Daily Record making completely unsubstantiated claims that Victor Wanyama wants to move to England this summer, fucking idiots. He turned down an English side last season to sign for us. :rolleyes:

Cha has joined some German side and becomes the ninth player to leave us this summer, the clear-out is going very well.

Allegedly Thompson was thrown out of a pub in Edinburgh last nigt for being absolutely blotto and getting a bit rowdy. According to some people I know who were working in said pub.

Linked with Colchesterā€™s out of contract captain. :rolleyes:

Weā€™ve also been paired with Villarrealā€™s Ecuadorian winger Jefferson Montero, reports also claim there has been a hitch in Forsterā€™s move due to wages.

A few more recommendations from me would be Jozy Altidore, I believe he has all the hallmarks of the type of striker we were are looking for, strong, athletic and pacey and I think heā€™s been good any time Iā€™ve seen him play for the US, he also seems to have had a good season at AZ scoring 15 goals, heā€™s only 22 as well. We would have been able to pick him up on the cheap last year but that season seems to have put him out of our price range now. Another player Iā€™d like us to have a look at is Marco Sau, he has been in prolific form in the Italian lower leagues the past couple of years (41 league goals in 66 games), he is owned by Cagliari, 24 years of age and probably available for between ā‚¬1-2m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scLjs4ZISkc

HMRC have rejected Rangers takeover. Looks like that Glasgow Rangers will cease to exist this Friday.

Wanyamaā€™s agent is at it, saying he wants to leave for a big club this season. We have no reason to sell and we arenā€™t in a position where we need to see - so with that in mind the only excusable way to let him leave is for silly money - given that itā€™s mainly EPL clubs in the chase, the bidding can start at Ā£15m. They donā€™t like that? Well then tough.

A bid of more than Ā£6m from Rubin Kazan has been rejected by Celtic for Ki according to Sky. I do hope we know what we are doing here, hopefully we are holding out for a larger bid and we will get one, Ā£6m is a more than fair price, IMO.

FAO Rocko, as the expert on Croatian football and the Bundesliga can you please answer a few of my queries. In my Euro 2012 scouting quest I have taken note of a number of players who impressed me and could be plausible signings.

A couple of Croatian defenders Iā€™ve been impressed with:

Gordon Schildenfeld, he is 27 and plays with Eintracht Frankfurt, they were promoted this season which may make it difficult for us.

Ivan Strinic, 24 year old left back with Dnipro in Ukraine. Been very impressed with him in both games, donā€™t know how keen he would be on playing second fiddle to Izzy so that may rule that one out, I feel he could also do a job for us at centre back in a back 3 as heā€™s quite a big lad.

Another player that has impressed me is Eugen Polanski, a 26 year old midfielder who plays for Mainz in Germany. Not sure whether Celtic would be an attractive option to him or whether we could afford him but heā€™s a very steady and rounded player who would fit in well here.

I would be okay with Ki leaving for a fee in that region. Heā€™s threatened to kick on and become a very good player on a few occasions but heā€™s invariably failed to sustain his performances at the level required. It goes without saying that Iā€™d want to see the funds reinvested in the playing squad.

Some more talk about Rodallega on Twitter last night from Colombian sources.

havenā€™t seem much of wanyamaā€¦is he that good?

Apparently we are growing impatient with Forster and rumours are circulating we have given him until today to decide, in the meantime we have been linked with the Greek keeper Michalis Sifakis who is available on a free transfer. Rubin are denying the stories saying they had a Ā£6m bid rejected for Ki, stating that it is a ploy from Celtic to drive up his price. Andrews and Mills look set to be on their way to Bolton while Rodallega has said he has offers on the table and will make a decision soon. Wanyamaā€™s agent continues to create problems by stating he wants to leave.

Weā€™ve also been linked with Jefferson Montero again.

Looks like Mikael Lustig will miss the start of the season as he claims to be in need of a hip operation.