Celtic 2012/2013 season discussion thread

Arse

The Young Player nominations are stronger than those for the main award.

The U20s won the league this after courtesy of James Keatingsā€™ injury time winner in Inverness.

[quote=ā€œBandage, post: 763934, member: 9ā€]Mullach Ide, Iā€™d say it played a factor in it all right. There was no change in price between last season (which included our former rivals Rangers) and this season, but that was understandable as there was complete uncertainty about what was happening Rangers this time last season when prices were being set for 2012/13 renewals. It was only later on last summer that they died.

I think Celtic still sold 40k odd season tickets at something like Ā£580 a pop for 20 home games - 19 league games and they always throw in one of the early round cup games onto the season ticket and maybe a pre-season friendly or two - so that worked out at an average of Ā£29 per game.
But whatā€™s happened this season is that people have found that they arenā€™t necessarily saving any money by purchasing a season ticket. Previously people were happy enough to get one because it ensured their seat for two home derbies against the huns but obviously theyā€™re not around.

And given thereā€™s another 20k seats aside from the 40k season ticket places, thereā€™s been plenty of availability for all league games so it became clear you could buy tickets on a game by game basis for the same as the average Ā£29 price under the season ticket - in fact, you could actually save money the odd time as the club have had certain specials for some individual games to get the stadium filled. Some people canā€™t make games from time to time either so it was being mentioned on various forums and within supporter clubs that the upfront investment in a season ticket wasnā€™t really necessary.

With the huns gone, the only other benefit was that a season ticket ensured you first option for Champions League group stage tickets. But most people, even if not season ticket holders, could find a way to get a ticket for these games if they really wanted one. I think the club took on board all this feedback and the revenue from the CL allowed them to go ahead and reduce/rebalance the pricing.

Now the season ticket will work out at Ā£24 per game on average so thatā€™ll be a Ā£5/Ā£6 saving per game and the family and children ticket options give people an incentive to get the next generation along too. More people in, more money spent in the club store and on food and drink in the stadium shops etc so I think itā€™s a sensible move by the club and shows a bit of goodwill to the supporters.[/quote]

Bandage thank you, good to see Celtic being pro-active.

Neil Lennon on the PFA Player of the Year nominations: ā€œdonā€™t get me started on thatā€¦abysmalā€¦ā€ and lots more besides. :smiley:

Saying we donā€™t have to sell anyone and heā€™s still hopeful of keeping Hooper and Wanyama. I think weā€™ll keep Wanyama for another season anyway - not so sure on Hooper, think heā€™s more likely to leave.

We have more or less adopted the buy young & cheap players, improve them, sell at a profit and repeat model so we need to ensure we donā€™t go down a road of trying to keep players who want to leave and letting their value diminish as they run down their contracts.

While it would be nice to keep our better playes, we still need to have targets lined up. But I guess the signing of Rogic would indicate weā€™re not taking our eye off the ball though.
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]

The new home kit for next season is horrible.

Iā€™m very worried we will end up signing Kevin Doyle if Wolves go down to League One - very worried.

Annual club awards ceremony tonight:
Player of the Year: Samaras :clap:
Playersā€™ Player of the Year: Forster
Young Player of the Year: Wanyama
Top Scorer: Hooper
Goal of the Year: Watt v Barcelona
Special Award: Stan Petrov

I love this beautiful, beautiful man:
https://yfrog.com/mmcumkmlj:iphone

[quote=ā€œBandage, post: 766048, member: 9ā€]Annual club awards ceremony tonight:
Player of the Year: Samaras :clap:
Playersā€™ Player of the Year: Forster
Young Player of the Year: Wanyama
Top Scorer: Hooper
Goal of the Year: Watt v Barcelona
Special Award: Stan Petrov[/quote]

Top scorer? But a poster her was advocating for him to be dropped all the time. That makes no sense.

bogballing dullard doesnt understand professional sports- im shocked:rolleyes:

Mac fails to understand things unless presented in statistical format with denotations for 10ā€™s and 20ā€™s using Ivan Yates heads and horses.

Iā€™m very concerned about the Cup Final, bhoys.

SPFA SPL Team of the Season

4-3-3:
Randolph (Motherwell)

Matthews (Celtic)
Hutchison (Motherwell)
Wilson (Celtic)
Mulgrew (Celtic)

Law (Motherwell)
Wanyama (Celtic)
Shinnie (Caley)

McGinn (Aberdeen)
Higdon (Motherwell)
Griffiths (Hibs).

4 Motherwell, Celtic and 1 Caley, Aberdeen, Hibs.

3 spots at the back for Celticā€™s leaky defence while Commons and Samaras were overlooked. :smiley:

Very quiet on the transfer front so far, thought we would have completed a couple of moves already as we have made early moves in the past two seasons around this time.

Speculation seems to be quiet strong and persistent with Aleks Tonev, Balbec has failed to supply us with information about this guy so far. Ljajic was linked with us lately as well. :rolleyes:

I actually think we could be in for a busy summer. We have quite a lot of players who have contracts or loan spells coming to an end. I think itā€™s the perfect time to get rid of Hooper and Wanyama, Hooper performances are on a steady decline compared to that in his first season and he has failed to renew his contract so far so now is the time to get rid. Wanyama is in a similar position, he has failed to renew his contract so far and his stock wonā€™t be much higher than it is at the moment give his stellar performances in the CL this season.

I think the following will go:

Rogne
McCourt
Miku
Lassad
Hooper
Wanyama
Gershon

We need some strengthening all over the pitch. Mackay-Steven and Russell would definitely be two players I would be very interested in seeing arrive. Iā€™d get rid of Kayal as well if any decent offer comes in (Ambrose as well). I think our midfield has been lacking this season, Kayal has really regressed since his first season, Brown has been ravaged by injuries and I donā€™t rate Mulgrew when he plays in midfield.

[quote=ā€œIl Bomber Destro, post: 769134, member: 1052ā€]Very quiet on the transfer front so far, thought we would have completed a couple of moves already as we have made early moves in the past two seasons around this time.

Speculation seems to be quiet strong and persistent with Aleks Tonev, Balbec has failed to supply us with information about this guy so far. Ljajic was linked with us lately as well. :rolleyes:

I actually think we could be in for a busy summer. We have quite a lot of players who have contracts or loan spells coming to an end. I think itā€™s the perfect time to get rid of Hooper and Wanyama, Hooper performances are on a steady decline compared to that in his first season and he has failed to renew his contract so far so now is the time to get rid. Wanyama is in a similar position, he has failed to renew his contract so far and his stock wonā€™t be much higher than it is at the moment give his stellar performances in the CL this season.

I think the following will go:

Rogne
McCourt
Miku
Lassad
Hooper
Wanyama
Gershon

We need some strengthening all over the pitch. Mackay-Steven and Russell would definitely be two players I would be very interested in seeing arrive. Iā€™d get rid of Kayal as well if any decent offer comes in (Ambrose as well). I think our midfield has been lacking this season, Kayal has really regressed since his first season, Brown has been ravaged by injuries and I donā€™t rate Mulgrew when he plays in midfield.[/quote]
I think youā€™re spot on with those departures. Wanyama has been (indirectly) making noises about staying for another season but if a big offer comes in I donā€™t see Celtic turning it down. Particularly in light of the regression of the likes of Izzy and Kayal after their ā€œbreakoutā€ seasons. I think Wanyama has far more attributes about him to be a big player at a top club but if thereā€™s a tempting offer I think it will be taken.

Canā€™t afford to keep Hooper if we get any sort of decent offer. Heā€™s unlikely to change his mind about a new contract now but we badly need to sign a goalscorer to replace him.

Rogne will almost certainly be gone unless he has a change of heart and accepts the contract offer that was given to him, in which case he may as well be retained as a rotation player. McCourt should move for his own sake - heā€™s not quite good enough to get into the Celtic team all the time, but he canā€™t afford to not be playing regularly. Miku will certainly be sent back, Lassad may be kept but heā€™s hardly on big money I assume.

The usually reliable Eddie Pearson of Celtic Underground reports that Celtic expect an approach from Everton for Neil Lennon.

Re the debate yesterday about potential departures, I agree with most of the chat but what do you guys make of Gershon? Obviously heā€™s barely played so I donā€™t expect his loan to be turned into a permanent deal but heā€™s shown up well in his limited appearances as far as Iā€™m concerned. I wouldnā€™t be averse to signing him if the fee was reasonable.

[quote=ā€œBandage, post: 769850, member: 9ā€]The usually reliable Eddie Pearson of Celtic Underground reports that Celtic expect an approach from Everton for Neil Lennon.

Re the debate yesterday about potential departures, I agree with most of the chat but what do you guys make of Gershon? Obviously heā€™s barely played so I donā€™t expect his loan to be turned into a permanent deal but heā€™s shown up well in his limited appearances as far as Iā€™m concerned. I wouldnā€™t be averse to signing him if the fee was reasonable.[/quote]

Hard to judge, I think he has certainly been hard done by Lennon as he persisted with an out-of-sorts Ambrose ahead of him for a lot of the second half of the season. He has done fine in the games he has played but obviously Lennon just doesnā€™t rate him.

Yeah Iā€™ve been mildly impressed by Gershon but he doesnā€™t seem to be in the plans. I think heā€™s certainly been better than Rogne and Ambrose but it may just be that he has had fewer opportunities to make costly mistakes.

Yeah, and with Rogne out of contract, I think weā€™ll need another centre back. Gershon also has the versatility to play left back and can seemingly play in a back 4 or back 3.

I see weā€™re redeveloping the area near Celtic Park in conjunction with Glasgow City Council. Itā€™s lovely up there already so not sure how it can be improved.

[quote=ā€œBandage, post: 769857, member: 9ā€]Yeah, and with Rogne out of contract, I think weā€™ll need another centre back. Gershon also has the versatility to play left back and can seemingly play in a back 4 or back 3.

I see weā€™re redeveloping the area near Celtic Park in conjunction with Glasgow City Council. Itā€™s lovely up there already so not sure how it can be improved.[/quote]
I think weā€™ve slowly and secretively been buying up the graves in the cemetery behind the North Stand with a view to building a commercial concourse there.