Celtic FC v FC Sion and the reverse

Pretty toothless half, not alot of chances created although we are well on top in midfield. Cha has been our best player offering a good outlet on the right. Don’t like the shape of the team - Lennon should stop shafting Stokes and play him up top, if he’s not going to play him there then take him off and throw Forrest or McCourt.

It’s a very tight game calling for some McCourt magic.

Reasonable half.
[list]
[]Cha has been excellent
[
]Obviously they could come up and score from a corner or something but they look very unsure of themselves in the air in every line of the pitch. Every Celtic player has won their aerial battles so far.
[]No harm in showing them a few different “looks” but Stokes on the left shouldn’t appear again. Despite coming in for the penalty incident he’s not a natural on the right either and he’d be far better off in the centre beside Sammy. They’re doing most of their attacking through the middle anyway so it’s not really all that more solid defensively to play 4-5-1 when a 4-4-1-1 would be as secure in terms of stopping them building play.
[
]Need to keep the workrate up to stop them getting a foothold. They’re happy enough to have extra men at the back and they just want to keep it until they can find someone in space centrally. The more pressure we apply the more they just lump it forward.
[]Think we certainly need more from the whole midfield dynamic as it were. Ki is roaming into good areas but Commons hasn’t found much space and Brown is playing fine but we haven’t had an opportunity to use his energy in much of an attacking sense yet.
[
]Forrest could cause them big problems for 20 minutes or so. We don’t have anyone to take them on down the outside other than Cha and he’s had plenty of success.
[*]Frustrating as it may be to just hoof it away we need to be uber-careful at the back. Mulgrew has been caught in two minds a couple of times and Wilson looks in danger of giving it away every time. We have to accept it’s a makeshift back four and use the full backs in space but the passing must come through midfield, not from too much strolling forward by defenders.
[/list]

Sutton was some fucking headererer of the ball.

I seem to be completely misreading the mood of Celtic fans but I didn’t love that game. It was a cracker with a few stunning goals and was delighted for Moravcik at the time who was sublime. But it meant nothing.

I’m a bit perplexed by our set up tonight. I don’t see why we didn’t simply play Commons on the left, Brown on the right and Ki and Ledley in the middle. Samaras or Stokes could have dropped into the hole, as required, but we’ve instead played a lopsided system with Stokes on the left, Ki roaming in front of Brown and Ledley and Samaras through the middle. Commons hasn’t been his usual self on the right either. As Totti said, I don’t agree with Stokes being shunted around from his natural striking position, especially when it’s to accomodate the enigma that’s Samaras. Either trust him and let him play his proper position or get an actual wide player on. Cha’s been excellent but Wilson looks like an accident waiting to happen. Mulgrew’s taken a few chances too. Need several players to up their performance but I think a change in system would benefit the collective unit.

What game was that Rocko?hearts are four down to spurs

What game was that Rocko?hearts are four down to spurs

Celtic Juve in 2001 was it? It was on at half-time.

That was a good chance there for Sammy.

Interesting defensive swap between Mulgrew and Wilson. Don’t see a problem with it. They don’t have an aerial threat from general play and Wilson can play more on his right side and Mulgrew can overlap on the left.

Stokes now through the middle with Sammy left I think.

Yeah first Juve game was right after 9/11.

Early change with Forrest for Commons.

Didn’t have a great game - not helped by the switching and having Wilson behind him. Correct call regardless.

Much better play from Ki there taking them on. Again without wanting to jinx it they’re not that great a team. We can attack them more. Bit more pace to our attacks.

Some awful sloppy passes from Brown now.

Stokes off. Actually think Maloney might do ok.

Great effort there. What was Sammy doing on the rebound? Weird way to go for the ball.

Chance for Ledley there. Fuck.

Score?

zip zip.

Fuck that was our best chance. First time Mulgrew has got a cross in and thought Brown would knock that home.

Paddy on to win it…

McCourt for Samaras.

Mon the fuck Paddy. :clap:

Not looking like our night. Another cracking run from Forrest to get in behind there and a decent first touch but they recovered well. Should have done better with the shot from the corner.