Celtic Non-Matchday Discussion

Presumably it’s him and Weah which means the Bayo deal is dead.

He looks quite similar to Burke in style, more force than subtlety. From the video I’ve seen he looks worth a punt for that kind of money.

Looks like it is Bayo and not the Honduran lad we are after.

1 Like

Yeah that Honduran lad was just people putting 2 and 2 together and getting the wrong answer.

It’s 4

Stephen McGowan is the most reliable journalist covering Celtic for some reason and his article this morning says:

• Weah will be doing a medical tomorrow and will be signing for 18 months (good news on the duration and I don’t think we could realistically hope to have an option to buy him given his pedigree)
  • Improved and final offer of £2m for Bayo which sources are confident will be accepted.

Some negativity around Bayo but he definitely suits our profile and looks a reasonable prospect anyway.

Yeah, probably due to the Bangura and Balde deals. Worth a punt though as loan signings are generally a fairly fruitless endeavour.

He looks like a more natural striker than Edouard who sometimes looks more at home off the left.

Now to sort right back and midfield.

Yeah Edouard is a smashing player but not an out and out striker. He looked excellent with Dembele but never really got to play together enough.

This guy looks raw but he might be just what we need. I never thought Bangura looked in any way competent.

Weah has signed. 6 months only. Not ideal.

We will likely need to replace Boyata, Benkovic, Weah and Burke in the summer. On top of whatever we need to do about our right back and striker absences and the shortage in midfield.

1 Like

Edouard is a donkey.

Wil(l) Trapp from Colombus Crew is linked. He’s a defensive midfield player.

Trap or Trapp?

:thinking:

Wil Trapp according to Wiki.

1 Like

Boom Boom, let me hear you say Bayo, Bayo

1 Like

Oh the green & white of Bayo…
I can see you still…

Chris Sutton isn’t happy with this signing… or Weah

Similar misgivings expressed here about Celtic being too reliant on loans without having purchase options. Weah and Burke following likes of Roberts and Musonda in that regard.

And aside from a few outliers every few years (Edouard last summer most recently), Celtic are shopping in that £1m-£3m bracket where signings can be hit and miss. For every Van Dijk or Wanyama there’s an Amido Baldo or Teemu Pukki.

I don’t understand why Celtic are so conservative. They’re sitting on piles of cash but you have to have some element of ambition and investment.

1 Like

I do think Pukki had a bit about him but things just didn’t work out at the time.

I’m not sure why we need both Weah and Burke. Weah can play as more of a #9 but if we have this Bayo chap now and hopefully Griffiths to come back at some stage as well as Edouard.

I guess it’s not as much harm now that we have signed a striker permanently and as long as it doesn’t mean we’re not addressing the defensive gaps.

I’d say we could see Morgan and (or) Hayes go now.

Talk of Morgan going to Sunderland on loan which makes sense.

Pukki is an interesting one given he’s doing well now. I guess he wasn’t as bad as the likes of Amido Baldé (who was too good for Liverpool but wasn’t good enough against SPL opposition). But he didn’t seem like the bravest striker in the world. I think he’d lost his confidence at Schalke and wasn’t really going to get back at Celtic with the pressure of replacing Hooper’s goals.

1 Like

3 of the starting 11 the last day were signed during Rodgers time, the rest were at the club before him. Considering that’s 5 transfer windows it’s a poor hit rate.