Celtic Non-Matchday Discussion

Dundee have to win mate

1 Like

Roll on Sunday

If we do go on and win the league we’ll have to do it the hard way. Will make it all the sweeter if we can finish top I suppose.

1 Like

Brendan’s press conference today:

Stuart Armstrong won the POTM award for March. He said his contract talks are ongoing in the press conference today but nothing to suggest a renewal is imminent.

Celtic’s usual Friday morning weekend match preview press conference has been held back until 2.30pm where the club has said a major announcement will be made.

I’m predicting a new long-term contract for Brendan Rodgers.

cc @Rocko, @Nembo_Kid, @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy, @thedancingbaby.

2 Likes

A new, improved, long-term contract for Brendan Rodgers. :clap: :dembele: :shamrock:

2 Likes

God Rogers must be laughing himself silly.
Given the state of Scottish football poor auld Buff Egan could be managing Celtic and they’d still win the Scottish pub league by 20 odd points. Easiest job ib British soccer ball

competing in the CL is the expectation- How is that an easy task?

Celtic managers have had rolling 1-year contracts for a very long time - certainly back as far as to O’Neill - so this is quite a departure.

With 6-in-a-row achieved last Sunday a 4-year extension could see him become the record breaking 10-in-a-row Celtic manager. Bren10 Rodgers as some randomer put it on twitter.

But I agree with my learned friend @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy - I think this is a statement of intent by both sides. He certainly wants that domestic piece but there are ambitions now to make a concerted European push over the next few years.

Rodgers gets some stick from his pre-Celtic days (some warranted and some not) but he’s clearly a talented coach / manager and would command interest elsewhere. I expect that he didn’t agree to the long-term commitment without receiving assurances from the Board about financial backing.

A few press conference quotes:

“For me, Celtic is the greatest club in the world. What league we’re in, how is that perceived? I’m not really bothered.”

“Beginning of journey. Only here a short time & want to grow an even greater connection between players & supporters.”

‘I couldn’t ask those players to commit to Celtic if I was on a a one year rolling contract’.

Hopefully those kind of sentiments will be received positively by the players and the likes of Armstrong will in turn sign extensions.

But what’s European success for Celtic given the glaring financial disparity between them and clubs from the elite coterie of super leagues? Getting back into the CL group stages was success this season but I think a bit more is expected now.

The initial aim, as always, should be to plot through the qualification rounds - some potentially difficult opponents there. But, beyond that, a realistic two-part aim is to ensure regular European football after Christmas whether that is outperforming our current 4th pot ranking by qualifying from the group or at least securing third place to drop into the Europa League. It’d be great to start winning two-legged knock-out European ties in the latter stages of competitions again.

This is a very good day for Celtic.

1 Like

I’m ecstatic with this news. What a statement of intent from Brendan and the club. :shamrock:

2 Likes

He gets a pay rise and if Sunderland , West Ham or Watford want him Celtic will get compensation .

Linked with Borini today.

OMGZ

2 Likes

Post-split fixtures were announced today:

Celtic beat Sevco 4-0 in the development league today. Hat trick for Regan Hendry

Bump

1 Like

No chance of him going anywhere but a sensible analysis.

He’s such a tidy player and still young …if he keeps going he’ll be some player in a few years…commentary were blaming the keeper for not moving for the goal but that was mcgregor skills. .gave no indication he was going to shoot first time…so nonchalant. . if Messi done it we’d be calling him a genius…

1 Like

Agreed. It was a really classy finish. Took some guts to do that as well because all his instincts must have been screaming at him to thump it.

Dembélé’s hamstring injury is likely to keep him out for 5-6 weeks. Celtic are unlikely to rush him back and risk him for the cup final and will be getting him primed for Champions League qualifiers in early July.

1 Like