Celtic Transfer Window January 2018 ☘ 🍀 💰 📠 ↔

My source has gone quiet but I can confirm that the Alexis Sanchez deal is OFF.

We seem to have turned our attention to Serbian winger Luka Adzic instead.

2 Likes

Brendan had some thinly veiled criticism of Dembélé yesterday and my sources indicate that Celtic are willing to sell him and would have been happy to deal based on what Brighton were offering, but the player and his representatives still see him going to a much bigger club than the Seagulls.

The manager was in fairly spiky form earlier in the week too. We’ve secured Compper (who promptly got injured and is cup tied for Europe in any case) and Morgan (who’s been loaned back to St Mirren). Still no sign of buying the creative/attacking midfielder we need or anybody else really.

I think we’ve gotten a bit stale and could do with at least 2 first team signings (1 defence and 1 attack). We’ve also got a lot of players out injured (Rogic, Armstrong, Roberts, aforementioned Compper).

I was surprised by the Dembélé comments. I don’t think he’s been brilliant but in matches I think his attitude has been fine though he’s coming in for huge criticism. He’s still our best striker by a distance though. Would be disappointed to lose him.

I saw some indirect quotes that mentioned us looking for a #10 and they were attributed to Rodgers but not sure if they were just reading between the lines or direct. I think that’s the position we’re most in need of, along with centre back. We only really have Rogic to play that role naturally and I don’t think he’s good enough sadly. He’s also quite injury prone.

Chris Davies was happy to speak candidly about Dembélé yesterday too in the press conference ahead of tonight’s Glasgow derby. He said something like “Moussa may have come to the conclusion that it’s time for him to move on.” It seems a bit odd for Rodgers and Davies to be speaking openly like this but who knows what’s gone/going on with the player, his agent etc behind the scenes?

We rejected one bid for Dembele.

We had one bid for Jack Hendry rejected.

Charly Musonda being increasingly linked on an 18 month loan deal, possibly with option to purchase.

Bad knee injury for Craig Gordon today apparently. :eek:

De Vries was solid when he came on - handled everything well, tipped one good long range shot around the post and distributed the ball well.

Young Conor Hazard went on loan to Falkirk the other day but I wonder if he’ll be recalled from the Bairns now.

Will we be happy with Hazard backing up De Vries or should Rodgers sign a keeper?

Boruc and Marshall are ex-Celtic keepers currently warming the bench elsewhere.

This has been a shocking transfer window for celtic pal. .they’re just content to ride things out til the summer it seems…

1 Like

It’s odd as Rodgers is on record as saying Celtic almost need to flip it around (because of 4 CL preliminary rounds next season) and do most of our transfer business in the winter window and be settled heading into the summer.

Just Compper who promptly got injured and Morgan who was loaned back to St Mirren so far. He also often mentions how players become available later in the window but still.

1 Like

Musonda is reported to be signing the 18-month loan deal today and Celtic are expected to go back in for Hendry before the deadline too.

Tosh McKinlay part of the Celtic delegation at Glasgow Airport to meet Charly Musonda off his flight:

What a signing. The entire transfer window debacle has been corrected in one swell move.

Gordon and Griffiths out for 12 weeks and 4 weeks respectively according to the manager.

We’ll have to take a keeper on loan.

Charly and the Bhoys.

Yeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssss.

2 Likes

Europa League final flights and accommodation booked.

Lyon, here we come.

2 Likes

What a fucking signing this is. :clap:

1 Like

Cracking player…Why 18 months?..do you reckon there is an option to sign at the end?.*
*apologies if it states this is article

18 months is what Celtic want to get now for a prospect. It’s decent because even signing a good player like Van Dijk or Wanyama or Dembele and it’s tough to keep them for a third year. And with Roberts we were even able to make it a 30 month deal in the end.
I presume it suits Chelsea too to have him loaned to an ex youth team coach who has job security and they trust him to develop their player. No option as far as I know. I think he’d be way out of Celtic’s financial reach.

Yeah.youd’ just wonder how much of a future he has at Chelsea if they are prepared to let him go for that long…

Celtic are trying to sign Jack Hendry and Trevor Carson today. Carson, the Motherwell keeper, impressed against Celtic in the 3 games in succession in November/December. He’s deleted his twitter account as he’s a staunch Sevconian from Ulster and had a load of tweets along those lines. Scott Bain has also been mentioned as goalkeeping option but he only joined Hibs from Dundee earlier this month, if I recall correctly.

Surely we could get a much better keeper than either of those two lads on loan deal.