Celtic v Rangers, Viaplay Cup Final, Sunday 3pm

Missed three super chances to put it to bed at the end. Saw out the last 10 minutes brilliantly. And in fact the last 20 or so were fairly comfortable apart from the hall that richocheted to Colak in front of goal.

Didn’t think Johnston had a great game for much of that. But put in one great cross for Kyogo and was magnificent for the last 15 or so.

Starfelt had a couple of errors but Jesus he was superb in general play. Won some amount of headers.

God I thought Johnston was terrific. Can’t recall him being beaten once?

1 Like

Ah probably wasn’t. Didn’t mean to phrase it so negatively. Struggled with the pitch for a little while earlier on I thought because passes took ages to reach him. But more making the point that he took the battle on in last 15 minutes and won a fuck load of challenges in that time.

1 Like

Thought Johnson was excellent … he can look a bit uncomfortable on ball at times but made some tackles in second half … macgregor was superb too…
for rangers Raskin looks a player…

Harry Kewell is some size!

1 Like

I didn’t know who it was.

That was great. Two beautifully crafted goals, typical Postecoglou football. Celtic were trying to get the double sub on before they won the freekick for the goal & I thought we needed that injection of energy & would have seen the game out comfortably enough. But they scored then & it changed the game & gave them a huge boost. It wasn’t dissimilar to Ibrox at Christmas where they got their tails up for 10 minutes or so & Celtic looked quite rattled. We recovered our composure then & saw out the game very well in the last 15-20 minutes plus injury time. Celtic really should have scored again late on one of the breakaways & the scenes at the end were brilliant. I thought Starfelt and Johnston were excellent. McGregor was class & a brace for Kyogo in a cup final against the huns to follow on from his double in last season’s final.

1 Like

Yeah they hadn’t done an awful lot before the goal really and was a bit of a fluke how it materialised. Mooy should have done better though. Was disappointing how we got a bit rattled then. But as in the last game we got to grips after a while and finished stronger. We were better today and got control for the last 15 or so. Was good to do that with Oh and Iwata involved - they’ll be big parts of the future.

I get the feeling that the surface hindered Celtic more than rangers.

I know Iwata is more defensively minded than Turnbull, and the game probably needed that type of player from a Celtic perspective, but I thought it was interesting he got the nod ahead of Turnbull. Ange gave him a shout post-match for solidifying the midfield. Ange also had some revealing comments about the players having the freedom to adapt within the team structure. He essentially said that the players took it upon themselves to go more direct for a while when Oh came on. It was the period when we were shaky and it made sense to establish ourselves back in their half instead of playing around the back on a crap pitch while the huns were rabid & had momentum. We did something similar with Giakoumakis in the league win at Ibrox at the end of last season that all but sealed the league. I think it’s positive that Ange has that practical side too. He’s a great, great man.

1 Like

Yeah Turnbull was definitely passed over for this. He got a couple of goals in substitute appearances recently but had also been a bit loose on the ball. Iwata hit his first pass out of play but was good from then in and picked up a few loose balls. I think he and Oh will be trusted by Ange now.

That pitch was a disgrace actually.

1 Like

Oh put himself about nicely.

2 Likes

Yeah, he was clumsy in one sense but wasn’t overawed & dished out a few digs. One lovely elbow into Davies’ gut.

2 Likes

Scotty Bain with his 9th Celtic medal today. He deservedly moves ahead of Paul McStay and Henrique Larsson in the Celtic honours list.

1 Like

Great CONTENT

Have to say the Ref was excellent today…

1 Like

Ange post-match

Hart post-match

2-0

1-0