Celtic v Ross County

Samaras, Wilson, Forrest and Lustig are all doubts today. Samaras picked up a knock towards the end of the Elfsborg game and I can’t see him being risked against Ross County with the crucial return leg in Sweden in Wednesday. Boerrigter had picked up a knock too in training during the week but I hope and expect him to start in Sammy’s absence.

Matthews has missed most of pre-season but is the obvious replacement for Lustig and he needs to get a game anyway. Van Dijk is still out but Mulgrew is back in contention so presumably he will start in place of Wilson.

There’s a few options then if Forrest is to miss out. McGeouch would be a straight swap, Commons could play wider with another striker (Watt or Baldé) starting alongside Stokes or Kayal could push right with Ledley coming in centrally. I think Ledley will start for Kayal anyway so it’s just a case of whether Kayal gets retained at someone else’s expense.

So overall we might look like:

Forster
Matthews Ambrose Mulgrew Izaguirre
Kayal Brown Ledley Boerrigter
Commons
Stokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ZKQfp7D6U

Today and the Champions League qualifier second leg in Sweden next midweek are important warm up matches ahead of the big clash with Liverpool next Saturday. I’m also excited to see Boerrigter play and I hope he’s fit and involved. Kayal would hardly play wide right in a midfield four, Rocko?

He could play narrow in a lopsided 4-3-3 type, which is more what I had in mind. Something like:

___Kayal Brown Ledley
___________________Samaras

______Commons
___________Stokes

Celtic
Forster,
Lustig, Ambrose, Mulgrew, Izaguirre,
Forrest, Brown, Ledley, Boerrigter,
Commons,
Stokes.

Subs
Zaluska, Balde, Mouyokolo, Watt, Matthews, Kayal, McGeouch.

Strong team, rousing atmosphere.

This is our city. These are our colours!

So Wilson and Samaras aren’t risked ahead of midweek. Lennon said Samaras had a toe injury but an x-ray revealed no damage so he should be fine.

Ambrose. Deary me. :eek:

The pace of Boerrigter there. :clap:

Great goal for them. Forster?

Fuck. Rotten start defensively but that was a cracking shot. Poor goalkeeping though.

That was a lovely pass by Boerrigter.

How is Stokes not shooting there?

Stokes has looked very short on confidence, great opportunity for him there and he passed on it. He did the same Tuesday evening from a Forrest cutback.

I don’t like the way we play the ball to the wingers, the passes are so telegraphed.

Smashing pass by Commons. Boerrigter should have scored but he’s started really well.

He’s looked anxious and uncertain since it became apparent Hooper wasn’t staying. Not making the most of his opportunity so far.

Boerrigter really involved in their box so far. Very encouraging.

Screamer from Stokes!

[quote=“Rocko, post: 811505, member: 1”]He’s looked anxious and uncertain since it became apparent Hooper wasn’t staying. Not making the most of his opportunity so far.

Boerrigter really involved in their box so far. Very encouraging.[/quote]

Hopefully that goal will relax him a little.

We’ve actually played quite well since going behind. Brown and Ledley dominant in the middle, Ledley in particular has been excellent.

Hope that’s just a tweak for Boerrigter. He’s been very impressive.

Can’t believe we haven’t scored again. Very much a 4-2-3-1 and it’s working really well. Brown and Ledley completely on top and all 3 support attackers contributing really well, including Watt since he’s been on.