Champions League 2021/22 - Another Magic night in Madrid from the Kings of Europe

I love me a good levitating backspin shot. Pavard of France got a beauty of a goal in such a manner against Argentina in the World Cup a few years back.

Eight separate Dublin players got such points from outside 45 metres in the first half of the 2014 All-Ireland semi-final against Donegal, before the team totally collapsed.

Stephen Coen of Mayo got a more agricultural version in the first half of the 2021 All-Ireland final.

A levitating backspin shot to the bottom corner of the net is my favourite type of hurling finish.

OK. You think a backhand slice in tennis is topspin.

Pavards goal is backspin - he hits underneath the middle of the ball, slicing across it, and the ball rises, from the magnus effect.

you’ve just introduced video evidence that completely counters your argument

1 Like

so you are saying that if the ball rises, it has to be back spin?

Thiagos goal is very clearly backspin too. Your tennis explanation clearly shows so too

slides it underneath the ball when hitting it. This type of shot is called a slice. It exerts a torque about the center of the ball that causes the ball to rotate with a backward spin during its flight

He doesn’t hit it underneath the ball though. He catches it high on the ball, his foot is over the ball.

Thiago clearly strikes above the middle of the ball.

The laws of physics are stating it, not me

and he slices down on it. the ball spins backwards.

1 Like

That sounds like top spin.

top striking down causes topspin
bottom striking up causes backspin

When you hit backspin - the ball cannot go towards the ground, the force is moving it with loft. With backspin it would have slowed on contact with another surface, not skipped

Pavards goal above looks floaty, Thiagos is driven

I think we’ve established the identity of at least one of Fluvio’s burner accounts, anyway.

Physics is not for everyone, clearly.

Physics eh?

You can also see the ball spins forward until it hits the ground and then alters on contact.

Some lads are making a show of themselves here.

Fizzix.

Is this topspin or more like a clean strike through the middle of the ball? Like a 1940s tennis player hitting through the ball before topspin and backspin became a thing?

Thiago’s foot is over the ball and he’s striking down on it, but he chops down on the back of the ball. It’s back spin. Like a snooker player hitting down on the back of the cue ball with an elevated cue (due to other balls being in the way) and screwing back for the difficult blue.

1 Like

I cant fucking believe this is an argument :smile:

What a fucking place!

5 Likes

No, buddy, you’ve got that wrong.

The way to screw back in snooker is to have a low cueing action and strike up on the ball and follow through.

And never use chalk.

TFK is a tonic.

I’ve two cloaks beside me here.

I’m switching between arguing over a proposed amendment to a legal agreement and arguing over how to create topspin and backspin on a football.

Both matters are equally contentious, but this debate on TFK is currently more respectful.

3 Likes

snooker is a perfect example, if you were causing backspin you’d hit the cue ball below the middle, you’d almost be in danger of cueing the cloth in order to impart backspin.
if you want topspin you’ll hit the top of the ball. Thiago clearly hits the top of the ball.
I mean, you’re arguing against the laws of physics and your own eyes.

Is the ball in Thiago’s shot rotating forward or backwards?