Champions League 2023/24 Round of 32

Bad night for the EPL coefficient

1 Like

Brendan delivers double the group stage points tally that the fat Aussie pudding produced last season. :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

It may have been a dead rubber but I think that win could be fairly significant. The 10-year wait for a CL home victory is over & I reckon the playing group & manager needed it after other setbacks this season. Hopefully they kick on now for the last 5 league games before the winter break.

I thought Scales had a very big game tonight after a couple of dodgy games. Alastair Johnston was also really strong. O’Riley was terrific for the winner & he’s having a great season. The young chap Mitchel(l) Frame displayed a nice bit of moxy when he came on too.

2 Likes

What a touch of class from o Riley for the his .Oh looks to be getting worse the more game time he gets .

With a bit of luck uniteds poor showing in the champions league might be enough to save them from being embarrassed in it again next season

2 Likes

Oh needs wingers who actually wing.

No CL for 5th I’m hearing?

I suspect I’m in a minority but I think he continues to look good. He’s snatched at a couple of chances from crosses but I think he gets us forward well and creates chances.

2 Likes

The 5th place is based entirely on this season apparently. But the two lower competitions count the same towards it. So it’s still possible. But Spain have 4 through. Probably need an EPL winner of the CL and Europa

I’m back in the “he’s fairly shite” camp.

Lower competitons count lower. united need City to win it to give them a chance of making the 5th place.

A great win for the account books

https://x.com/CelticFC/status/1735065367813222436?t=6usP5anYs0UK5J8rnbtP-w&s=08

I wonder who the last Irish international to get motm in a CL game is.

The list is short enough of Irish lads who have even played

2 Likes

That display by Scales tonight was one of the all time great Irish modern era Champions League performances. I can’t think of many Irish players excelling on that stage, maybe McGeady against Benfica in around 2008-09 & the late Liam Miller versus Lyon some years before that. Roy Keane & Dennis Irwin never produced in Europe, maybe Steve Finnan had some good games.

4 Likes

:thinking:

Is that a highlights reel? A headed goal and kicking a few lads…

2 Likes

lolz, thats a solid 6/10 at best

3 Likes

You’re living in Cork too long mate

Jaysus.

Cringe

Brilliant. Headed goals only count as half lads…

1 Like