Champions League 2024/2025

I agree & disagree…the possibility of getting to the 9-10 points needed was always expected to rest on the home games alright & they got a favourable enough draw with Slovan Bratislava (beaten them already), Young Boys, Club Brugge & then RB Leipzig as a top seed. Dinamo Zagreb wasn’t a bad draw for one of the away games but the others looked to be most difficult - Dortmund, Atalanta & Villa. So some might argue last night was a free-ish hit & the chance to have a go. At the same time, defeats like that can have consequences beyond the individual game. Rodgers could have tried to set up more defensively & less ambitiously while still aiming to carry a threat on the break. Kinda try to start bedding down a way of playing that would make them competitive away to higher ranked teams. Two week turnaround to Atalanta now to see if anything changes.

3 Likes

Did he not pretty much admit he wouldn’t change in that post match interview you posted? Bang of Fergie off him in Europe. Tactically naive.

2 Likes

That is what I was arguing, yes

Brilliant seeing the Villa European Cup winners on BT coverage. An era completely forgotten.

1 Like

I haven’t seen it, but when those Dortmund lads go, those boys aren’t staying with them. They’re champions league finalists after all, it’s like a no.2 verses a no.20 contender and in boxing.

Villa to win in an epic, Rogers to star.

The money spent at Old Trafford and Michael Olise right there.

Villa robbed, Upa should be sent off

Big Wills is on the batter at Villa Park

If you’re Madrid, Bayern or Juventus, you’d have to kill fella

Watkins drop the arm under him and pulled both of them down.

That doesn’t fit my narrative at the moment.

1 Like

Ollie did good there

Upamecano rather undid mine there.

Thought he was supposed to be fast

Get in my son

Where is @Cheasty?

Faack

Harsh call - I thought second phase kicked in

1 Like

Rogers, Cole Palmer, Saka and Foden would be a lovely fluid front 4 for England after Sir Harry