Champions League Matchday 5 thread

Definitely a draw in the other game in my opinion as no matter what happens Celtic would still be 2nd going into the last game and will even have qualified should they win. If the worse happens tomorrow and ManU turn us over then we still have 2 chances of going through in the last game if the other game tomorrow is a draw, i.e. beat Copenhagen in Denmark or draw there and rely on ManU either beating or drawing with Benfica in Manchester.

I still think that tomorrow is the key game though. Thereā€™s a section in Strachanā€™s autobiography where he openly says he was suspicious about the time Derby won 3-2 at ManU in the 2nd last game of the season in the year his Coventry side got relegated. He says he canā€™t help thinking Ferguson almost revelled in the fact that it played a part in their relegation given the fact they hate each other. If ManU get their draw or better tomorrow then I canā€™t help but worry that hateful fook will stick out a second XI against Benfica. We really need to turn this mob over. No English team wins at Celtic Park. None.

Yeah canā€™t rely on United doing us any favours whatsoever in the last game. Irrespective of the personal animosity between Strachan and Ferguson United dropped Saha, Giggs etc for the Copenhagen game - believing they were close to qualifying. Thereā€™s no doubt that if they do qualify this evening then theyā€™ll rest key players for the Benfica game.

By the way for anyone that may have jotted down the permutations from the post above note that it changed last night after the original poster on the HB noticed an error so make sure you rely on the revised version above and not the original.

Bit of a matchday morning scare for me when I had a dose of the hiccups after knocking back a bottle of sparkling water with my full Irish breakfast in the airport food hall. Iā€™ve been known to go 8 or 9 hours with a bout of hiccups, find them really hard to shake because I canā€™t burp for some odd reason. Thankfully the moment seems to have passed so back on track.

Anytime iā€™ve stayed in hotels in Glasgow its been the Millennium or Jurys. Iā€™ve had a wee check and as you say all reasonable priced hotels are booked up. Try the Botanic Hotel close to Byres Road or the Lomond Hotel in the west end. Give those a call but besides that Iā€™m sure youā€™ll get a cheap hostel that will have beds. The Glasgow Youth Hostel in the West end should have a bed available.

From The Guardian:

Strachan has come a long way from that night in Bratislava

Gordon Strachanā€™s success at Celtic has gone almost unnoticed. A win over Manchester United tonight will change that.
Kevin McCarra
November 21, 2006 12:30 AM

Gordon Strachan has prospered almost unnoticed, like a pools winner who accidentally ticked the no publicity box. Despite the domination of Celtic last season, it was a close-run vote before he was declared manager of the year in Scotland. He always has been undervalued, with the profoundest endorsement of his work at Southampton coming in the collapse of the club after he had gone. If there is a win over Manchester United tonight, though, there will be no timelag in the recognition.

Not everyone was blind to his worth and Strachan divulges in his enlightening autobiography that Liverpool interviewed him for the managerā€™s post in 2004, just in case they were unable to recruit Rafael Bentez. A year later he signed up for an unusual project with Celtic. Strachan has done so well that it leads people to underestimate the challenge he accepted.

He claims his tombstone will carry the inscription ā€œItā€™s not as bad as that night in Bratislavaā€. The 5-0 defeat by Artmedia in his first game with the club has been chiselled into folklore. It is less understood that he was in the throes of building a new Celtic, since the line-up he inherited was disintegrating. Only Neil Lennon survives as an important factor. This season and last the majority of pundits tipped Rangers to be champions, but Strachan took the title with ease and holds a 15-point lead as he defends it. All of that has been done while participating in a radical shift in Celticā€™s philosophy. By Scottish standards, the board spent heavily in Martin Oā€™Neillā€™s period and got its reward with a transformation in status.

The outlay seemed connected to a hope that Celtic might gain entry to the lucrative Premiership. When that possibility disappeared the club had to put its mind to functioning on a sustainable basis. This has meant cutting the wage bill and shopping with care. Strachanā€™s record signing at Southampton was Kevin Phillips for 3.25m and despite the Champions League glamour, he has spent little more on his most costly acquisition for Celtic, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink.

Thrift is not normally much of a crowd pleaser, but there is a growing appreciation among supporters of the smart and safe policies. The chief executive Peter Lawwell even has a cult following as onlookers come to realise that he pulls off good deals and drives hard bargains in transfer negotiations. Even so, all of that depends on the stability Strachan delivers.

The manager has pulled off the trick of conserving funds for men like Vennegoor of Hesselink and Thomas Gravesen by identifying bargains elsewhere. He has, for instance, a good prospect in the 19-year-old Evander Sno, who was on the bench for Holland in last weekā€™s friendly with England, yet Feyenoord had such scant regard for the midfielder that they discarded him for the nominal fee of 80,000.

Strachan has handled himself shrewdly in several areas. Despite his penchant for the occasional quip, he has mostly avoided coming out with sparky remarks in the tinderbox environment of the west of Scotland. When not at work he has seen the need for something akin to self-imposed house arrest, since there are too many provocations awaiting a Celtic manager who meanders into the polarised Old Firm environment of Glasgow.

His experience, enjoyable or otherwise, has opened up a new dimension in him. The glib conclusion would be that he is now equipped to take one of the positions in English football that was not previously on offer. In truth, there are very few jobs there that promise a greater adventure than he has embarked upon at Celtic.

He is also entitled to think that his current side would cope comfortably in the Premiership. ā€œI think you give yourselves too many pats on the back for being the best league in the world,ā€ he told visitors from south of the border yesterday. ā€œItā€™s all right at times but Iā€™ve seen some dire games there as well.ā€

While Oā€™Neill received the devotion of the Celtic support there was no instant affinity with Strachan, who was once their tormentor in chief as part of a wonderful Aberdeen side. Despite that, a place in the knockout phase of the Champions League, where the club has never featured before, would underline just how vital he is to Celtic.

A fella from the hb says this is the team. It wouldnā€™t surprise me if it was. It seems to be the sort of team strachan would pick.

boruc
telfer
bobo
mick
naylor
naka
gravesen
lennon
sno
jvoh
magic

It certainly has similarities to the teams selected against man u and benfica away but Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d be too happy with it. I like the balance with two wide men but there is obvious logic in Sno and Lennon holding with Naka and Tommy G pushing on, as you suggeted by SMS.

From reading HB and Celic Minded briefly there one would get the impression there are rucks all over Glagow. Iā€™ve seen nowt and Iā€™ve been at 3 of the alleged flashpoints already - Central Station, Argylle Street and Jamaica Street.

is the atmosphere starting to build? many irish over there now? am heading up to laytown so wonā€™t have internet but will text you the team as soon as i hear it. i have a feeling it is the one i just posted though

Yeah plenty of Irish about town. Most locals are still in work so itā€™s quiet enough - just lads in Celtic shop and pizza hit and the likes. As an aside Pizza Hut has a very complicated buffet ordering system that I made a mess of. None of the Belfast guys look like theyā€™re going to get over because of the weather.

Thats Pepsi hut for you. Apparently there is about 800 who wonā€™t make the game from Belfast. What a blow that would be. Hope it doesnā€™t effect the atmosphere

I love these posts before huge matches from lads who are apparently after sneaking themselves into the training ground this morning on the sly and saw the behind closed doors training session where we worked on our shape and formation. Or else they were talking to Strachans wifes brothers milkmans friend etc etc. All adds to the build up I suppose.

Id be very surprised if that was the team and I dont think it will be either as I expect Strachan to have learned his lesson from Benfica away where he played people in unfamiliar positions and altered the shape of the team. I dont think we should let them dictate to us either and say theyre so dangerous that we need both Sno and Lenny sitting with a wide player sacrificed. I want us to play our natural, patient and attacking game with the threat coming from Maloney and Naka wide.

The Association of Irish Celtic Supporters Clubs has apparently chartered flights at 4pm for those whose ferries were cancelled. You would be some gutted to miss this game due to a fooking ferry being cancelled. Fair play to them hope it comes off.

I read that the ManU hooligans had stormed Jurys Inn alright where all the Irish Celtic supporters stay too! I know they ran amok when they were up in Ibrox a few years ago and there was a bit of trouble in Manchester in September as they seem to hold us Fenian Celtic supporters responsible for the Manchester bombing in 1996. The talk is therell be 300 of them storming the Gallowgate this evening before kick-off. Tread carefully rocko!

Iā€™d be seriously pissed off if that is the team Strachan puts out tonight. What a negative move, that is fine away from home, although as bandage said it backfired on us overthere. If he doesnā€™t play the wings with King Kenny and Vinegar up front it will be a costly move.

Rocko, who are you over with?

Andā€¦

Oh Willie Maley was his name,
He brought some great names to the game,
When he was the boss at Celtic Park.

Taught them how to play football,
He made the greatest of them all,
Gallagher and Quinn have left their mark.

And they gave us James McGrory and Paul McStay,
They gave us Johnstone, Tully, Murdoch, Auld and Hay,
And most of the football greats,
Have passed through Parkheadā€™s gates,
All to play football the Glasgow Celtic way.

In '38 there was a show,
And Glasgow was the place to go,
A model of the Tower was footballā€™s prize.

England sent four of the best,
They didnā€™t meet with much success,
Because the trophy ended up in Paradise.

Well Coronation time was here,
Fifty three, that was the year,
Another four from England met their doom.

They said weā€™ll have to try again,
But like before it was in vain,
Because the Cup is in the Parkhead trophy room.

Well fourteen years had gone and so,
To Portugal we had to go,
To play the team that Italy adored.

Celtic went out to attack,
They won the Big Cup and they brought it back,
The first time it had been on British shores.

Now 21 years to that day,
With pride, itā€™s our Centenary,
And weā€™re among the honours once again.

Six million pounds the huns did spend,
But Souness found it was in vain,
Because the Celtic are the Champions again.

And now in 1995,
It feels good to be alive,
And weā€™re about to celebrate again.

The fans all cry out for Pierre,
He rises up into the air,
And brings the Scottish Cup to Paradise.

Our Under 19s just beat ManU 4-2 up at Barrowfields. Fook Id settle for that later. I expect the bhoy Sheridan from Cavan was amongst the goals but I have no other details. Rocko was considering checking it out but I see he was on line earlier so he mustnt have made it.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh will sing
Jimmy, Jimmy Johnstone on the wing
Jimmy, Jimmy Johnstone on the ball
The greatest Celt of them all

Let get stuck into this mob*

• in a calculated, controlled, rebellious, Boys of Wexford type manner.

Tonight, we must gather our flags and banners
And march to the Holy Ground where Our Father and His Father before him stood
Once again, we must repel foreign invaders, this time from across our border

We will put them to the sword in our mighty arena
They will fall like many before them, Italians, Spanish, Germans
And many others who could not take our fortress either

We fear no one when we have hopes in our hearts because we never walk alone
When the battle is over, we will return to our ale houses
And our songs of victory will echo into the evening sky!

All hail the Celts.

We are going to fooking win this.

Our European home record in this millenium:

2001/02

Celtic 1-0 Porto
Celtic 1-0 Rosenborg
Celtic 4-3 Juventus
Celtic 1-0 Valencia

2002/03

Celtic 3-1 FC Basel
Celtic 8-1 FK Suduva
Celtic 1-0 Blackburn Rovers
Celtic 1-0 Celta Vigo
Celtic 3-1 Stuttgart
Celtic 1-1 Liverpool
Celtic 1-1 Boavista

2003/04

Celtic 1-0 FBK Kaunas
Celtic 1-0 MTK Budapest
Celtic 2-0 Lyon
Celtic 3-1 Anderlecht
Celtic 0-0 Bayern Munich
Celtic 3-0 FK Teplice
Celtic 1-0 FC Barcelona
Celtic 1-1 Villarreal CF

2004/05

Celtic 1-3 Barca
Celtic 1-0 Shakhtar Donetsk
Celtic 0-0 AC Milan

2005/06

Celtic 4-0 Artmedia Bratislava

2006/07

Celtic 1-0 FC Copenhagen
Celtic 3-0 Benfica
Celtic 1-0 Manchester United

Played - 26
Won - 20
Drawn - 5
Lost - 1
Scored - 48
Conceded - 13

And to think some coonts thought some mob who came 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the EPL last year would do a job on Celtic. Think again you fooks.

Can you hear United sing?
No, no.
No, no.
I canā€™t hear a fooking thing
No, oh fooking no.

Get it right fooking up you all you colonialist English obsessed idiots. And the RTE panel is the worst of them all. To hear Giles belittle Naylor before the game was absolutely hilarious when anyone whoā€™d watched any Champions League games at all, even dismissively, would have said heā€™s been the best left back in Europe this season.

The world does not begin and nor does it end with the English Premiership. It does not begin with Celtic either but fook did we send those cooonts packing.

Hail hail. A great night to be an Irish and Celtic man.

ā€˜Thereā€™s only one Gordon Strachan. One Gordon Strachanā€¦ā€™

I love Lee Naylor. That is all.

http://www.celticfc.net/ads/graphics/matchphotos/21.11.06/manu12.jpg

Rocko tells me after the ref has given the most ridiculous penalty I have ever seen Saha spots the ball and while TV are showing replays the bold Neil Lennon runs up and boots the ball into the stand. Neil, Neil Lennon - born to play for Celtic

http://www.celticfc.net/ads/graphics/matchphotos/21.11.06/manu13.jpg
Itā€™s so Japaneasy.

Penalty ridiculous? He charged out with his 2 hands up in the air and from what I saw I think he handled the ball. If the penalty was ridiculous then so was the free kick that led to the goal.
Fare play to Celtic, great win for them and great to see them through to the knock out stages. They appeared to play for the draw but took their chance when it arose and wont fear anybody at home in the next round.
As an aside Bandage I see your getting dogs abuse for similar posts over on An Fear Rua? Presume youre the same bandage?!

what a hyped up load of rubbish. this is not me trying to rile you all up , but genuine. please am i missing something???

i watched the first half and it was hardly entertaining or exciting. celtic didnā€™t create anything and united were too inept to muster up anything resembling a chance.

in watching football, maybe iā€™m looking for something different to you all. for association football to be exciting i like to see the following

goal mouth incidents
goals
individual pieces of skill
clever tactics
good tackling

these are my criteria, do they differ much from yours ? i honestly didnā€™t see much of the above last night. the last ten minutes were obviously exciting and entertaining, there was much goal mouth action, a fantastic piece of skill from naka and one side hanging on for a unexpected victory. but that ten minutes aside, what else happened? worth all that hype ? worth all these inches on this forum? me wondersā€¦honestly i wonder.

Ok, that was a good win last night. When the team was announced I was pissed off big time. Couldnā€™t understand why he wasnā€™t playing maloney on the wing. Apparently that was Man Utdā€™s best 11 that they had out there. Naka didnā€™t look comfortable on the left side at all. We gave Man Utd far too much respect in the first half, sitting back and defending far too deep. Man Utd dominated the centre of midfield but couldnā€™t create much going forward. Delighted with Strachan that he had the balls to change it round and the two subs had an immediate impact on the game. We dominated the second half and overall 1-0 was a fair result.

Bourc 9 Wasnā€™t that busy but dealt with everything thrown at him. What a legend trying to get into the stand at the end of the match.
Naylor 8 Did his usual stuff. Fabulous crosser of the ball.
Mick 7 Was steady throughout the game, strong and commanding.
Bobo 5 Out of first team football all season and it showed. Improved in the 2nd half.
The Telf 9 Fantastic performance last night. MOM in my opinion.
Naka 8 Looked out of place in the first half, was impressive in the second when he was back on the right wing. The freekick was smashing, thought it was too far out myself.
Graveson 7 Did his usual stuff.
Lennon 8 I was screaming for him to be let go 2 years ago but he has impressed me in the champions league thus far. What a captain, what a man.
Sno 5 Not his fault, it was that the team as a whole underperformed in the first half.
Vinegar 8 Ran his socks off. He looked knackered at the end.
Magic 5 Again not really his fault, he was running round like all the other lads in the first half chasing the ball.

Subs:
Maloney 8 Looked lively when he came on, ran at the defense and gave Naylor the opportunity to overlap.
Jarosik 8 Again looked lively and ran at the defense which caused them a lot of problems.
Miller Not on long enough. Hope he is back to full fitness soon.

Ref: Shocking performance. Far too many incorrrect decisions made and any 50-50 decisions went against Celtic. It was a very harsh penalty to give.

Lets hope Caldwell, Wilson and Miller will be back soon so as we can field our strongest 11 against Copenhagen.