Champions League Matchday Five Thread

Here when you support your local rugby team in the depths of Kerry as much as you support Munsterā€¦ When you travel to watch them all over the country as much as you go to see Munster in Cardiffā€¦ When you go and watch Dr Crokeā€™s play league games as often as you go to County Finals and All Ireland Finalsā€¦ When you support the next most local team when Crokeā€™s are beatenā€¦ When you go and see them lose to the Waterford championsā€¦ When you go and watch the Munster champions in the All Ireland club championshipā€¦ When you go to every poxy Railway Cup and All Ireland League and Kerry Championship gameā€¦ When you donā€™t come to Dublin looking for money because youā€™re happy with all your local shite jobs in shite towns with shite prospects because ye pissed it all away and sold all your land then come and talk to me.

FingalRaven wrote:

sporting figal - a team that doesnt exist yet & will be an u21 team

No theyā€™re not. They have a senior team, an U21 team and an U18 team.

On a serious note what happened to playing at Donnybrook? And was there ever a chance of returning to the RDS - why did ye leave their ages ago? Presumably rent is much higher in D4 but is it money that forces ye to Tolka or is it impossible to do a deal with the Leinster Branch or the RDS? Canā€™t imagine Tolkaā€™s all that appealing again.

therock67 wrote:

Here when you support your local rugby team in the depths of Kerry as much as you support Munsterā€¦ When you travel to watch them all over the country as much as you go to see Munster in Cardiffā€¦ When you go and watch Dr Crokeā€™s play league games as often as you go to County Finals and All Ireland Finalsā€¦ When you support the next most local team when Crokeā€™s are beatenā€¦ When you go and see them lose to the Waterford championsā€¦ When you go and watch the Munster champions in the All Ireland club championshipā€¦ When you go to every poxy Railway Cup and All Ireland League and Kerry Championship gameā€¦ When you donā€™t come to Dublin looking for money because youā€™re happy with all your local shite jobs in shite towns with shite prospects because ye pissed it all away and sold all your land then come and talk to me.

More often than you go to GLASGOW (Scotland, United Kingdom) my dear man. Its hardly my fault my LOCAL team, County team and Province are successful.

You support a foreign team more than you support any of your local teams.

And itā€™ll be my pleasure to get the fuck out of this shithole. I will soon, donā€™t worry.

Jesus talk about touching a nerve here.

This picture must annoy you then;
[img size=150]http://blogorrah.com/blogimages/srfron250207.jpg

WhyOhWhy wrote:

therock67 wrote:

[quote]Why donā€™t you get a job in Kerry if youā€™re so insular about everything?

Ha ha ha

Again The Rock & Bandage love-in continues.

Insular, ye crack me up[/quote]

Deary me, Iā€™ve no intention of explaining/defending why Irish people support Celtic. If you donā€™t know your history and want to spout off about it anyway then thatā€™s of no concern whatsoever to me. That said Iā€™d recommend Celtic Minded and Celtic Minded II by Dr Joseph Bradley. Theyā€™re both excellent reference points for those blissfully ignorant of Celticā€™s history.

In the meantime, I hope the fact both myself and rocko have contributed to this thread hasnā€™t upset you too much. It appears that you resent us replying to certain threads. A bit fooking odd imho. :wink:

Bandage wrote:

WhyOhWhy wrote:

[quote]therock67 wrote:

[quote]Why donā€™t you get a job in Kerry if youā€™re so insular about everything?

Ha ha ha

Again The Rock & Bandage love-in continues.

Insular, ye crack me up[/quote]

Deary me, Iā€™ve no intention of explaining/defending why Irish people support Celtic. If you donā€™t know your history and want to spout off about it anyway then thatā€™s of no concern whatsoever to me. That said Iā€™d recommend Celtic Minded and Celtic Minded II by Dr Joseph Bradley. Theyā€™re both excellent reference points for those blissfully ignorant of Celticā€™s history.

In the meantime, I hope the fact both myself and rocko have contributed to this thread hasnā€™t upset you too much. It appears that you resent us replying to certain threads. A bit fooking odd imho. ;)[/quote]

I may do that. I donā€™t know anything about Celtics history apart from the basics (irish immigrants, catholics, anti-catholic bias etc). Iā€™ve never bothered to read up on it as I have no real interest in Celtic (I did years ago but not anymore), but i do enjoy reading about history.

I would like to think I know my history, but not Celtics, as I never saw it as relevant. (that said how I found the history of Stalins Gulags relevant to me??? :emm: :emm: )

As a matter of interest who is Bradley?

I just enoy winding yerself and Rocko up together :w00t:

WhyOhWhy wrote:

therock67 wrote:

[quote]Here when you support your local rugby team in the depths of Kerry as much as you support Munsterā€¦ When you travel to watch them all over the country as much as you go to see Munster in Cardiffā€¦ When you go and watch Dr Crokeā€™s play league games as often as you go to County Finals and All Ireland Finalsā€¦ When you support the next most local team when Crokeā€™s are beatenā€¦ When you go and see them lose to the Waterford championsā€¦ When you go and watch the Munster champions in the All Ireland club championshipā€¦ When you go to every poxy Railway Cup and All Ireland League and Kerry Championship gameā€¦ When you donā€™t come to Dublin looking for money because youā€™re happy with all your local shite jobs in shite towns with shite prospects because ye pissed it all away and sold all your land then come and talk to me.

More often than you go to GLASGOW (Scotland, United Kingdom) my dear man. Its hardly my fault my LOCAL team, County team and Province are successful.

You support a foreign team more than you support any of your local teams.

And itā€™ll be my pleasure to get the fuck out of this shithole. I will soon, donā€™t worry.

Jesus talk about touching a nerve here.

This picture must annoy you then;
[img size=150]http://blogorrah.com/blogimages/srfron250207.jpg[/quote]

Really - youā€™ve been to Railway Cup games more times than Iā€™ve been to Glasgow? Youā€™ve been to more AIL games than Iā€™ve been to Glasgow? Youā€™ve watched Kilcummin play against the Waterford champions more times than Iā€™ve been to Glasgow? You have in your hole.

I have a local soccer team who Iā€™ve played for for many years. Thatā€™s my local team. Weā€™re not good enough to be in the Eircom League but Iā€™ve played for them and paid subs for them and I ran a team for a couple of years. Thatā€™s supporting local sport. Not fucking off to Cardiff with a load of monsters from the bog in the deluded belief that anyone in Limerick actually considers ye rugby fans.

I couldnā€™t give a toss about Leinster because they mean nothing to me. Same with southside Dublin soccer teams or British army clubs based in Dublin. They donā€™t represent me. Celtic do on a broader scale. If theyā€™re Irish enough for Michael Davitt then theyā€™re Irish enough for me. Forgive me if I donā€™t take your poxy definition of Irishness into account instead of that of respected republican and activist.

rds is too expensive & big
dont think both of the clubs agreed about donnybrook
st pats said no
tolka isnt appealing but only option left

FingalRaven wrote:

rds is too expensive & big
dont think both of the clubs agreed about donnybrook
st pats said no
tolka isnt appealing but only option left

By both of the clubs do you mean Rovers and someone or Old Wesley and Bective. I presume theyā€™d have resisted alright because theyā€™re very protective of the thing while at the same time whoring it out to midweek schools matches all the time which means itā€™s in a shite state anyway.

What about the Belfield Bowl? Are they putting a couple of stands in there or are they just leaving it as was?

bective & wesley

belfield wasnt an option - tried last year & said not a chance

why not hibs them - James Connolly was a bigger hibs man than davitt was a celtic man

FingalRaven wrote:

why not hibs them - James Connolly was a bigger hibs man than davitt was a celtic man

Not my local Scottish club. :wink: Anyway they had a sectarian signing policy which I canā€™t agree with.

What about Bray? Too far and small?

there were more hoops fans at bray in the first league game than there was at a few games in tolka but its too far for every week

therock67 wrote:

[img size=150]http://blogorrah.com/blogimages/srfron250207.jpg[/quote]

Really - youā€™ve been to Railway Cup games more times than Iā€™ve been to Glasgow? No

Youā€™ve been to more AIL games than Iā€™ve been to Glasgow? I donā€™t have a local AIL team to support (Cork closest), but Iā€™d say yes I have been to more Killarney FC games than youā€™ve been to Glasgow.

Youā€™ve watched Kilcummin play against the Waterford champions more times than Iā€™ve been to Glasgow? No, I donā€™t support Kilcummin, me supporting Kilcummin would be like you supporting Hearts/Kildare.

You have in your hole. What has my hole got to do with it?

I have a local soccer team who Iā€™ve played for for many years. Thatā€™s my local team. Weā€™re not good enough to be in the Eircom League but Iā€™ve played for them and paid subs for them and I ran a team for a couple of years. Thatā€™s supporting local sport Yes, it is well done (not patronising you here). Not fucking off to Cardiff with a load of monsters from the bog in the deluded belief that anyone in Limerick actually considers ye rugby fans. Iā€™m from a town, not a bog, I understand if a skanger like you doesnā€™t understand the difference (you call me a bogger, then I call you a skanger, such are generalisations). I donā€™t care what the Limerick fans think, I went there to support Munster, like I had many times before and like I will again

I couldnā€™t give a toss about Leinster because they mean nothing to me. Same with southside Dublin soccer teams or British army clubs based in Dublin eh???. They donā€™t represent me. Celtic do on a broader scale. If theyā€™re Irish enough for Michael Davitt then theyā€™re Irish enough for me. Forgive me if I donā€™t take your poxy definition of Irishness into account instead of that of respected republican and activist. Iā€™m from a historical republican family, so donā€™t lecture me on that, I donā€™t feel the need to wear a Celtic jersey to prove my Irishness, but if you do, then off you go, yer mate from the picture above and Oā€™Bradaigh & RSF will be delighted to have ya [/quote]

Scott Brown hailing McGeadyā€™s displays this season in The Times below. Aiden will be our main creative threat again on Wednesday and itā€™ll be interesting to see which wing we play him on. He destroyed Benfica on the left before the internationals and came back and destroyed Aberdeen down the right.

Celtic power to win thanks to Aiden McGeadys masterclass

Celtic 3 Aberdeen 0 Phil Gordon at Celtic Park

When Scott Brown admits to being envious of someone elses energy, it has to be a special talent. The eager Celtic midfield player is not one to stop in his tracks for anything, and certainly not to admire the view. However, even Brown feels second-best right now, compared to the raw power of Aiden McGeady.

Just seven days earlier, Brown left a few world champions gulping for oxygen as he took Scotlands Euro 2008 fight to Italy. On Saturday, he put in one 90-yard run that tore Aberdeen apart and conjured up a pirouette that Zinedine Zidane would have been proud of. Yet, Brown still felt in awe of McGeadys performance.

The Ireland winger earned high praise from Gordon Strachan It was a flawless performance from Aiden, the manager said but the endorsement of Celtics 4.5 million summer signing from Hibernian probably counted more with McGeady. Kind words from the manager are important, but kudos from the dress-ing-room is much harder to earn.

Brown watched McGeady torment Aberdeen finding the net with the same fierce accuracy from distance that he employed against Benfica four weeks ago and he is hoping that his teammate is saving up of those goals when Shakhtar Donetsk come to Celtic Park on Champions League business on Wednesday. McGeady was sacrificed by Strachan when the two teams met in Ukraine on the opening night of group D, as the Celtic manager went for a 4-5-1 formation only to lose 2-0, but there is no chance of the 21-year-old being on the bench this time round.

Aiden was frightening again, Brown said. For the last month, I dont think anyone has been able to get close to Aiden. I hope that continues. Since I came to the club, his performances have been on a different level. His pace, his work-rate and his skill are incredible. He regularly runs 60 or 70 yards several times in a game, taking players on, but he still gets back to help out in defence. He has amazing energy.

Jimmy Calderwood will also take his team into Europe this week, away to Atltico Madrid in the Uefa Cup on Thursday. However, the Aberdeen manager acknowledged that even in Spain he may not see a talent quite like McGeadys. We contributed to our own downfall but Celtic were magnificent and it was a wonderful performance by McGeady. Celtics energy and desire were terrific. Look at him and Scott Brown when they were 3-0 up, they were still hungry for the ball.

During the week, McGeady can be spotted on Celtics training ground running with a harness round his waist as he drags a tyre, to improve his speed. On match days, it is opponents who seem laden down as they trail in his wake. McGeady symbolises Celtics progress in the Champions League this term: neither got out of the blocks in Donetsk but they are now well into their stride and Wednesday offers the chance to go second behind AC Milan.

We were disappointing in Ukraine, Brown said. We lost two early goals and we tried to come back in the second half but it was not to be. This will be different. We are home, where we have a great record. The fans will be like a twelfth man for us and that will really help us. The performance against Aberdeen was one of the best I have seen. We had 11 players at their peak and we will need something like that against Shakhtar Donetsk. We have to win all our home games to have a chance of going through to the next stage in the Champions League. Weve won the last two, against Milan and Benfica, and we badly want the victory from this one, too.

Had it not been for Jamie Langfield, then Aberdeen would have been badly mauled in the manner that they so often were when Ebbe Skovdahl was manager a few years ago ago. This was three, going on seven. The goalkeeper produced a string of first half-saves to prevent Scott McDonald and Brown adding to the thirteenth-minute header from Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and McGeadys raking shot, on off the post. Jiri Jarosik also grazed the top of the bar with an audacious long-range effort.

Even though Langfield committed an error that allowed McDonald to pounce and secure his fourteenth goal of the campaign, after initially saving at the strikers feet, the goalkeeper atoned for that in superb fashion in the 69th minute with a remarkable double save from McGeady and Vennegoor of Hesselink, as they rained down venomous efforts upon him.

Calderwood was deeply unhappy about Aberdeens display. Only Chris Maguire, the teenage substitute, was absolved from blame. Chris showed great desire and no fear but I cannot say the same about more experienced members of the team, the manager said. They have been told a few home truths and if they dont deliver, they will not play.

Scott Severin, the captain, admitted that Aberdeen cannot afford to allow Atltico Madrid the same latitude on Thursday. It is a massive game for us but it will be a difficult one, Severin said. When we get to Spain, we want to cause them a few problems we just did not do that to Celtic. It will be the biggest club game of my career, though I was on the bench when I was 18 and at Hearts and we played Real Mallorca.

The manager was going to see Atltico play on Sunday night and he will work out a game-plan for us. We were on a good run until we went to Tynecastle to play Hearts before the international break and now we have conceded seven goals in two games. We did not do that last year. We were very hard to beat and we have got to get back to that standard.

Celtic cruised past Aberdeen without the industry of Paul Hartley and the goalkeeping of Artur Boruc. The Scotland midfield player was suffering from a virus but should be ready to play on Wednesday but Borucs fitness is more of a concern, after picking up a toe infection while on international duty with Poland. Mark Brown was promoted from the bench when the problem became evident 30 minutes before kick-off. There is something wrong with his toes, he cant kick the ball properly, Strachan said.

Thankfully for Strachan, there is nothing wrong with McGeadys toes. He is quite simply, poetry in motion just now.

Celtic 3 Aberdeen 0

Scorers Celtic: Vennegoor of Hesselink 14, McGeady 27, McDonald 49

Celtic (4-4-2): M Brown 6 G Caldwell 8 S McManus 7 J Kennedy 8 L Naylor 8 A McGeady 9 S Brown 8 M Donati Y 6 J Jarosik 8 J Vennegoor 8 S McDonald 8 Substitutes C Killen (for McDonald, 77min), M Zurawski (for Vennegoor, 77), E Sno (for Donati, 82) Not used P Caddis, D Riordan, D ODea

Aberdeen (3-4-3): J Langfield 8 A Diamond 6 S Severin 5 L Mair 4 M Hart 5 B Nicholson 7 C Clark 4 R Byrne 5 J Smith 4 L Miller 4 S Aluko 7 Substitutes: C Maguire 6 (for Clark, 46min), J De Visscher (for Smith, 72), S Lovell (for Miller, 75) Not used D Soutar, R Foster, K Touzani, A Considine

Referee M McCurry
Attendance 58,000

Aiden has been sensational alright. His energy is outstanding. Compered to a couple of years ago the sprinting he gets through in attack and defence is incredible. He takes the ball 60 yards with defenders snapping at him. Then 5 minutes later he does the same thing again.

A more in-depth monolgue on football:

The biggest game for neutrals in this round of games is probably the Celtic-Shakhtar Donetsk game on Wednesday night and with both teams primed on 6 points, 3 behind leaders Milan, the stakes are incredibly high.

Much as Im of the opinion that Celtics travails away from home cant logically go on forever, Im similarly wary of our outstanding home record. Surely there has to come a time when we`ll get turned over, and though I prepare mentally for that eventuality before heading over to Paradise for each European game, we just simply keep on delivering and that sustains and renews my belief.

Im positive for Wednesday night. Shakhtar started the season at an electric pace but the two defeats to Milan seem to have knocked them out of their stride. They drew 1-1 against the bottom team in the Ukranian league on Saturday and also shared the points against a mid-table side in the round of league games before the international break. I believe theyve lost 4 of their last 7 games in all competitions.

Celtic, on the other hand, are in a rich vein of form. The Aberdeen `keeper salvaged a 3-0 defeat for them on Saturday from what conceivably could have been an 8-0 or 9-0 reversal. Aiden McGeady was yet again sublime, Scott Brown had his best game for the club so far driving relentlessly forward from midfield and Scott McDonald continued his hot goalscoring streak.

In addition, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink looked sharper and his goal should prove to be a confidence booster. Shunsuke Nakamura has no chance of featuring but Jiri Jarosik has confounded his critics of late, putting in a series of solid shifts on either side of the midfield, with McGeady taking up mantle of talisman superbly. Paul Hartley will be back from a virus to take his place in the midfield trenches and The Holy Goalie should overcome a foot injury to resume in goal too.

As for permutations in this group. Shakhtar currently lead Celtic by virtue of head-to-head record (a 2-0 victory in Donetsk). A 3-0 victory would put Celtic through (provided Benfica don`t beat Milan at home and Shakhtar away in their last 2 games and do so by scoring an avalanche of goals). A 2-0 victory would see Celtic with one foot through the door as, with head-to-head record level, the Scots/Irish giants would be 6 goals better off than Shakhtar in the goal difference stakes. The Ukranians would therefore require a heavy victory at home to Benfica in their final game while relying on Celtic to surrender meekly in Milan too.

That said I dont think Celtic supporters are getting ahead of themselves. Given how strong Shakhtar looked in September and considering the talents of a team containing a strikeforce of the quality of Castillo and Lucarelli, along with other excellent players like Srna, Brandao and Jadson, I would happily accept a win of any sort, even if that means we still require a point in Milan. (Just to confirm the Celtic group finishes a week earlier than the others due to Milans World Club Championship commitments with the game in the Guiseppe Meazza taking place next Tuesday and my good pal Stephen Alkin has already confirmed RTE won`t be showing the game live also.)

Team:
Boruc;
Caldwell; Kennedy; McManus Ā©; Naylor;
Jarosik; Brown; Hartley; McGeady;
Hesselink; McDonald;

Prediction: Celtic 4-0 Shakhtar Donetsk

Dunphy is having some anti-Venables rant at the moment. Quality television. He keeps shouting at Giles, whoā€™s trying to provide balance to the discussion, before apologising from cutting across him. You better be getting this Rocko!

Ah balls missed it. Watched Home and Away slightly delayed which meant I didnā€™t get any of the build up.

Christ. I was ignoring this thread altogether until now.

Great to have WhyOhWhy back :grin:

Flano wrote:

Christ. I was ignoring this thread altogether until now.

Great to have WhyOhWhy back :grin:

Its great to be back. He never replied eitherā€¦