Champions League Matchday Five Thread

Ah in fairness come on WoW.

You slag the lads for using Celtic to bolster their Republican stance when you, by your own admission, know nothing about the history of the club and you bolster your Republican stance by saying that you come from a strongly Republican family.

Anyway back to the thread. Some smashing analysing last night. Dunphy’s rant against El Tel was superb TV although you get the feeling that if he wins a few games then he’ll love him. The unaminous lambasting of the Premiership at thend was superb and Souness really came into his own - ‘outside the Top 4 the Premiership is average fluff’.

Dunphy also said that he and Giles used to go on the beer with Jack Charlton in the early days apparently

farmerinthecity wrote:

Ah in fairness come on WoW.

You slag the lads for using Celtic to bolster their Republican stance when you, by your own admission, know nothing about the history of the club and you bolster your Republican stance by saying that you come from a strongly Republican family.

I didn’t slag (really), i questioned, Rock brought it down to the slagging level, then i slagged, so ok…i did slag.

I didn’t bolster my republican stance, I just stated that I come from a historically reublican family and that i do not need lessons in Irish history. I never mentioned what my political leanings are, just because iIm from a historically republican family doesn’t necessarily mean I am.

I also said I had a basic knowledge of Celtic, basic I said i.e. set-up by irish immigrants, anti-catholic bias etc etc the same knowledge any soccer watcher would have, imo.

Anyway he’s not here to defend himself. He’s in Scotland.

WhyOhWhy wrote:

farmerinthecity wrote:

[quote]Ah in fairness come on WoW.

I didn’t slag (really), i questioned, Rock brought it down to the slagging level, then i slagged, so ok…i did slag.

I didn’t bolster my republican stance, I just stated that I come from a historically reublican family and that i do not need lessons in Irish history. I never mentioned what my political leanings are, just because iIm from a historically republican family doesn’t necessarily mean I am.

I also said I had a basic knowledge of Celtic, basic I said i.e. set-up by irish immigrants, anti-catholic bias etc etc the same knowledge any soccer watcher would have, imo.

Anyway he’s not here to defend himself. He’s in Scotland.[/quote]

he is in britain i more apt

Not one mention of Ronaldos 2 minutes into injury time that won United the game. :shock: Great atmosphere all night. It really made the trip worthwhile. Its the best end to a match you can dream of. A punter gave Saha tons of abuse every touch he got which was funny until he was taken off. Highlight of the ranting was he earns more in one day than he did on the dole for 17 years. :grin:

WhyOhWhy wrote:

farmerinthecity wrote:

Anyway he’s not here to defend himself. He’s in Scotland.[/quote]

In fairness WoW, you don’t really have a basic knowledge of Celtic at all if you think the club had/have an anti-Catholic bias. That’s incredibly ignorant and downright incorrect.

Cracking night’s entertainment at Celtic Park.

Shocking beginning with Kennedy putting in a “Caldwell in Lisbon” performance. Dreadful decision making for their goal and you can see by the way he turns and runs that he’s a small bit caught out positionally. That’s what makes it all the more bizarre that he decided to just head it straight back low. Even if it didn’t fall for Brandao it was a useless defensive header anyway. He didn’t really improve from then but very worrying developments with his knee.

The fact that we had a centre half and a central midfielder at full back really hurt us. Hartley and Jarosik are both right footed central midfielders and were at left back and left wing. That really cut off our attacking options on that flank because we’d no means of getting outside their full back. On the other flank McGeady had a decent game. He wasn’t helped by having a centre half behind him and they doubled up on him for most of the game in open play, which was easy for them to do when they didn’t have to mark full backs or the other winger. Aiden went inside looking for the ball and made some nice runs and passes there. Significantly when he was left 1v1 on the flank he had the beating of his full back and put in a couple of cracking balls.

Midfield still looks a little unsure of itself, not helped obviously by the need to move Hartley to left back almost immediately. They picked up plenty of loose possession and were able to get good possession as a result, though Celtic dominated with 60% of the ball.

It was hard enough to see where the goals would come from. I thought Jan and McDonald both looked dangerous enough but we were struggling to create great chances or to get the likes of McDonald and McGeady on the ball in dangerous positions. Scotty Brown made a few decent runs but too often he was chasing the ball or holding his position to cover against their dangerous counter attacks.

Anyway superb scenes at the end. Aiden did his defender lovely and then it’s a smashing cutback for Donati. Not the cleanest hit obviously but what a fecking outcome. Place went absolutely wild. Boruc and Donati were smashing in the post-match celebrations: Boruc with a scarf singing “You’ll Never Walk Alone” and Donati conducting the crowd chanting his name. Epic stuff.

a great victory in the circumstances - pressley did well , hartley had it tough out on the left but was solid defending but always had to cut inside , Jiri played well as did mcgeady & mcdonald - looked like a cracking atmosphere when donati scored

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSQ7A-_H8Qk

WhyOhWhy wrote:

farmerinthecity wrote:

I didn’t slag (really), i questioned, Rock brought it down to the slagging level, then i slagged, so ok…i did slag.[/quote]

Your first contribution on this thread was:
“At least he supports his local soccer team”

• how is that a question? We all like a good debate but people find it easier to follow when you stick to the facts. Good man.

In other words what you said was entirely irrelevant to the discussion. I was talking about my opinion on Davitt’s beliefs and how they relate to Celtic. Whether you or your family is republican or not is frankly irrelevant and I’d wager nobody gives a shit. That doesn’t have any impact on whether I should go and watch Celtic or not. It’s just a pathetic attempt to gain “republican credentials.”

What do you think of Strachan having a pop at the fans last night over their abuse of Caldwell? I presume you lads were shouting at him not to take the throws.

Don’t know about Celtic. What on earth is the story with them away from home? Milan could beat them eventhough they are true already.

Liverpool had a good win last night. The RTE lads seem to hate the Pool for some reason and said that it is a fluke how Benitez keeps getting good results. Not an ounce of credit was forthcoming. Not even towards Torres who was superb again. His second goal was pure class. Sprung into life at the sniff of a chance. Harried the defender off the ball and then buried it. He really is a class act. They were right though to question the inclusion of Voronin ahead of Crouch. I don’t understand what Crouch has done wrong to be honest

I don’t mind Strachan saying stuff like that. It was hardly huge criticism and he often makes that point that people need to be patient and the fans are always picking on the players who are having excellent games. It was the same last year with Telfer and it’s as much a confidence boost for the players as it is a criticism of the fans.

I agree with the general point though. Plenty of people are giving Hartley credit for the shift he put in out of position but the same people are getting on Caldwell’s back. He’s a frustrating type of player though. He put in one cracking cross last night but most times he got the ball he just took all the pace out of our attack and gave it away or passed it back to a centre half. It’s annoying because he’ll go for some silly flicks but when there’s a simple 20 yard pass on down the line he’ll ignore it.

did you see the fans throwing stuff at the shaktar players or the pitch invasion?

Don’t know about Celtic. What on earth is the story with them away from home? Milan could beat them eventhough they are true already.

Im disappointed with that Farmer :frowning:

Flano wrote:

[quote]Don’t know about Celtic. What on earth is the story with them away from home? Milan could beat them eventhough they are true already.

Im disappointed with that Farmer :([/quote]

So was I Flano. It took all my strength to ignore it.

FingalRaven wrote:

did you see the fans throwing stuff at the shaktar players or the pitch invasion?

Larry saw the pitch invasion - far end from me so I didn’t see it. Pre-game and stopped by police. I guessed afterwards it was a hun but you wouldn’t know.

I saw a few paper cups being thrown at the Shakhtar celebration. Nothing less than I’d expect from Ultras to be honest. :frowning:

Oh my word. What another absolutely incredible night at Celtic Park. It was a victory based on pure guts, sheer determination and raw desire. We were relentless and the attitude instilled in the players by Gordon Strachan is a credit to himself and the coaching staff. You think you`ve seen it all on European nights at Celtic Park and then last night happened. The scenes were incredible and it was the stuff that dreams are made of.

Id been cautious of the threat posed by Shakhtar in my earlier post on this thread despite their recent slump in form. That said I harboured high hopes of an early goal to see how theyd react to the hostile atmposhere and I even had a tentative expectation that we could put them away comfortably if that goal was forthcoming.

However, the early goal came very much at the wrong end from my perspective and it was a shocker to give away given Kennedy could have dealt with it in so many ways. It completely altered the whole complexion of the game, with the task then being to beat them by any margin rather than aiming for a rout that would have put us through on the night.

We then struggled to get into our flowing passing game given the double injury blow that struck our defence in the first half. Naylors calf strain saw Hartley revert to left back and so we had two right footed players playing on our left hand side. Then came the sickening sight of Kennedys knee buckling underneath him when he landed after an aerial challenge - the same left knee that was reconstructed several times before and which kept him out of action for over 3 years. However, theres positive early reports today that scans didnt show up any severe damage, which would be a relief to all.

It meant we had a centre half playing at right back, a central midfield player drop ping back to left back and Steven Pressley also coming in after 5 months out injured. Given the makeshift nature of the defence I thought McManus was inspirational last night, completely outplaying the very talented Lucarelli.

With little threat on the outside over on the left where the right footed Hartley and Jarosik were operating, the onus was on Aiden McGeady to provide the attacking threat on the other side and yet again the bhoy delivered on the big stage when it mattered most. Shakhtar were able to double up on him from very early on given it was obvious thats where the threat lay but he still provided two balls of sublime quality, one for Jarosik when he conspired to miss his header and the other for Donatis winner.

We missed Hartley`s calm assurance in midfield though Scott Brown put in a typically dynamic and lung-bursting display and Donati got on the ball a lot and probed constantly before his goal, which will hopefully be the makings of him. The problem was that with neither full back being able to provide a natural overlap, the threat, other than an odd McGeady foray down the right, was generally infield and in front of a Shakhtar side with 10 men behind the ball.

Thats not a criticism of Caldwell and Hartley, both of whom did admirable jobs in positions that are alien to them. Jiri Jarosiks renaissance also continues apace and, even aside from his goal, his display and workrate was first class. McDonald and Hesselink put in tremendous shifts up front in trying circumstances too and all over the park the effort, attitude and application was superb, and I even include Pressley in that.

Looking forward to next week I dont see Celtics progression as being a foregone conclusion by any means but Im warmed by the fact we have two chances. Were more than capable of taking a point against Milan ourselves as the performances weve put in against them in our 5 Champions League meetings in the past 3 years testify. Equally theres no guarantee that Shakhtar will beat Benfica despite holding home advantage. Theyve only 6 days to recover from what was a heartbreaking defeat, their 3rd in succession in the tournament, and theres a UEFA Cup spot riding on it too.

The scenes on the pitch at the end were awesome. The Holy Goalie went straight into the crowd and emerged with a scarf which he held up over his head on the pitch for a rendition of Youll Never Walk Alone. Donati was walking off when he heard the crowd strike up his song and returned to the centre circle to conduct the adoring choir before launching his jersey into the crowd. Just looking at him its obvious he was thinking, Fook me. This is a spectacular place.

Awesome. Truly awesome

fair fooks to celtic on a hard fought victory.
with milan and celtic only neding a draw in san siro I’d be hopefull of your chances of progressing.
which is more than can be said for the gers who,i belive with wither at home to lyon.

Highlights from the Celtic game last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jujL3x2uCMU

Excellent it must have been, although I seem to remember Celtic looking distinctly flustered and unable to assert themselves over the last twenty minutes. Even the crowd(take that ye cunt- we’re thebestfansinaworl’) seemed to be getting uneasy. Their passing was a bit lacklustre and they looked incapable of stringing a few decent passes together and even more so when it came to incisive passes forward. I disagree true and true with your assessments of McDonald. His control was poor all night, he needed two touches to control everything and invariably ended up going away from goal. He had one shot that I can remember(just over, with a teammate better placed) and he was caught offside about as often as Inzaghi might be of an evening.
Great last minute goal. I was well out of my seat.

they were very laboured in the 2nd half

Juhniallio wrote:

Excellent it must have been, although I seem to remember Celtic looking distinctly flustered and unable to assert themselves over the last twenty minutes. Even the crowd(take that ye cunt- we’re thebestfansinaworl’) seemed to be getting uneasy. Their passing was a bit lacklustre and they looked incapable of stringing a few decent passes together and even more so when it came to incisive passes forward. I disagree true and true with your assessments of McDonald. His control was poor all night, he needed two touches to control everything and invariably ended up going away from goal. He had one shot that I can remember(just over, with a teammate better placed) and he was caught offside about as often as Inzaghi might be of an evening.
Great last minute goal. I was well out of my seat.

I made the point above there that last night was far more about attitude and raw desire than pure football.

The problem stemmed from having Caldwell and Hartely playing in full back positions that are completely alien to them. Caldwell’s not comfortable on the overlap and Hartley had to check inside every time as he’s right footed. As I said above, it’s not a criticism of them - it just happens all our full backs are injured.

That meant most of the play was through the centre and with them having 10 men behind the ball and 3 in centre midfield it was very congested and hard to play in there (I was also very impressed by their big, bald, Polish defensive midfield player whose positioning and snuffing out of danger was first class) and get fluency into our play.

They also used a lot of simulation and time wasting tactics which prevented Celtic getting consistent attacking momentum and of course we’re missing our playmaker, Nakamura. Given all the above, and the concession of the sloppy early goal, it was a superb result.

Disagree on Skippy. He’s had better games but I thought he was very busy.