Champions League - Round of 16

I wasn’t a fan of spreading this round over 4 weeks when it was first implemented but the way the draw has worked out this year means there are decent matches this week anyway. It doesn’t look great for next week though unless Galatasaray can put in a good performance at home to Chelsea or if Dortmund are still struggling for form in Russia.

Tonight:
Man City v Barcelona (woof)
Leverkusen v PSG

Tomorrow
Milan v Atléti
Arsenal v Bayern

Next Tuesday
Zenit v Dortmund
Olympiakos v Man United

Next Wednesday
Galatasaray v Chelsea
Schalke v Real Madrid

The FA Cup 5th round and the return to form of Beitar Jerusalem have totally overshadowed the return of this competition. let me have a think about this and do a proper post later or tomorrow
United are fucking haunted by the way that their first leg in Athens will be played in only a 25% full stadium after UEFA got annoyed with the Greeks supporting their team properly.
Im actually seething with UEFA and this whole no other matches on a CL night , the Hull and Brighton cup replay must now be played next monday night 2 days after both play league games, devaluing the great competition once more… there are league two games tonight and we (my team) are playing a ligat bet tzafon game up north at 9pm (so i wont be online later lads, sorry)

Its a fucking travesty Napoli didnt make it thru
some terribly underwhelming games in that lot… zenit/dortmund, holy christ

ill be going with to go thru:

city
PSG
At fucking leti
Arsenal
Dortmund
Olympiakos
Chelsea
Real

What’s up with Aguero, will he be back for the match at Camp Nou ?

Pellegrini says they are aiming to have Aguero back for Stoke on Saturday but “it will be difficult”. You’d imagine he’ll be fit for the second leg however given that it isn’t until March 12th.

City haven’t been in good form lately (granted they’ve been without Fernanadinho, Nari and Aguero, two of whom will be back tonight) and I think there’s a backlash coming from Barcelona. Prediction: City 1 Barcelona 2.

I presume Atleti are the hipsters pick for sucess

The superior European pedigree of AC Milan (not Milan, pronounced “Meelan”) will beat them up a stick.

we hope and pray for this

[quote=“Sidney, post: 905253, member: 183”]Pellegrini says they are aiming to have Aguero back for Stoke on Saturday but “it will be difficult”. You’d imagine he’ll be fit for the second leg however given that it isn’t until March 12th.

City haven’t been in good form lately (granted they’ve been without Fernanadinho, Nari and Aguero, two of whom will be back tonight) and I think there’s a backlash coming from Barcelona. Prediction: City 1 Barcelona 2.[/quote]

I think the cup game v Sunderland that was called off was a huge blessing for city and the extra few days rest helped them regroup somewhat from their minor slump…it really stood to them v Chelsea… Barca away form in group stages was a 1-1 draw in Milan, beat celtic 1-0 and lost 2-1 in ajax …I think city have a great opportunity to get a lead for second leg…
i’ll go 3-1 citeh… .:popcorn:

[quote=“scumpot, post: 905270, member: 182”]I think the cup game v Sunderland that was called off was a huge blessing for city and the extra few days rest helped them regroup somewhat from their minor slump…it really stood to them v Chelsea… Barca away form in group stages was a 1-1 draw in Milan, beat celtic 1-0 and lost 2-1 in ajax …I think city have a great opportunity to get a lead for second leg…
i’ll go 3-1 citeh… .:popcorn:[/quote]
Just to clarify, it was a BPL game and once Barcelona are dealt with, it will most likely come back and bite them on the ass.

sorry league game…

I’ve helpfully included pronunciation lessons on foreign teams participating in this year’s European Cup so forum members will come across to their friends as “in the know”:

Bayern Munich:
Correct: Bay-earn Myoo-nik
Incorrect: Buy-earn Myoo-nik

Schalke 04:
Correct: Shkalk oh-four
Incorrect: Shalk-eh oh-four

Galatasaray:
Correct: Galta-saar-ay
Incorrect: Gal-atta-sa-rye

Milan:
Correct: Ay See Mill-ann
Incorrect: Mee-lann

Bayer Leverkusen:
Correct: Bay-er Levver-koozen
Incorrect: Buyer Layver-koozen

Zenit St. Petersburg:
Correct: Zennit Leningrad
Incorrect: Zennit Saint Petersburg

PSG:
Correct: Paris Saint German or Pee Ess Jee
Incorrect: Pah-ree Saaaa Jzer-maaaa or Pay Ess Jzay

[quote=“Sidney, post: 905275, member: 183”]I’ve helpfully included pronunciation lessons on foreign teams participating in this year’s European Cup so forum members will come across to their friends as “in the know”:

Bayern Munich:
Correct: Bay-earn Myoo-nik
Incorrect: Buy-earn Myoo-nik

Schalke 04:
Correct: Shkalk oh-four
Incorrect: Shalk-eh oh-four

Galatasaray:
Correct: Galta-saar-ay
Incorrect: Gal-atta-sa-rye

Milan:
Correct: Ay See Mill-ann
Incorrect: Mee-lann

Bayer Leverkusen:
Correct: Bay-er Levver-koozen
Incorrect: Buyer Layver-koozen

Zenit St. Petersburg:
Correct: Zennit Leningrad
Incorrect: Zennit Saint Petersburg

PSG:
Correct: Paris Saint German or Pee Ess Jee
Incorrect: Pah-ree Saaaa Jzer-maaaa or Pay Ess Jzay[/quote]
Combined with Rocko’s bluffer guide this will be invaluable :clap:

A night of upsets. Settee and buyer to win.

I read Jonathan Wilson’s tactical preview of the Arsenal - Bayern game there. I don’t subscribe to the notion that the woof brigade and every one of their gang are all poor journalists. Wilson usually has some very worthwhile things to say. But today, in a crude effort to justify a point with a very underwhelming stat, he used this really poor example:

“Although he [Cazorla] is not the most naturally defensive player, he has made an average of 1.5 tackles and 1.1 interceptions per game this season which, combined with his attacking threat, may check Lahm to an extent.”

That’s not impressive at all.

[quote=“Rocko, post: 905392, member: 1”]I read Jonathan Wilson’s tactical preview of the Arsenal - Bayern game there. I don’t subscribe to the notion that the woof brigade and every one of their gang are all poor journalists. Wilson usually has some very worthwhile things to say. But today, in a crude effort to justify a point with a very underwhelming stat, he used this really poor example:

“Although he [Cazorla] is not the most naturally defensive player, he has made an average of 1.5 tackles and 1.1 interceptions per game this season which, combined with his attacking threat, may check Lahm to an extent.”

That’s not impressive at all.[/quote]
That’s surely incorrect-he makes on average less than 2 tackles per game? In midfield?

[quote=“Rocko, post: 905392, member: 1”]I read Jonathan Wilson’s tactical preview of the Arsenal - Bayern game there. I don’t subscribe to the notion that the woof brigade and every one of their gang are all poor journalists. Wilson usually has some very worthwhile things to say. But today, in a crude effort to justify a point with a very underwhelming stat, he used this really poor example:

:smiley: one and a half tackles? FFS so less than once a half he’s going to try and win the ball?

Did he compare him to a particular clothing chain store at all?

Is Wilson part of the woof brigade? I wouldnt have him down as of that ilk.

I’d have him down as a known associate of those lads. He’s Sinn Féin to Sid Lowe’s IRA.

Barca
Valdés,
Alves, Piqué, Mascherano, J.Alba, Sergio, Xavi, Cesc,
Alexis, Messi Iniesta

City
: Hart,
Zabaleta, Kompany ©, Demichelis, Clichy,
Navas, Toure, Fernandinho, Kolarov,
Silva,
Negredo