Champions League - Round of 4

Your reading too much into it and are well off the mark.

Ajax style of football was far more easy on the eye than Spurs approach last night which seemed to press, physically unsettle Ajax to stop their slick passing and play direct football with little finesse last night. A number of Ajax players played very well yet there were a few who weren’t great like Neres and Veltman but they worked hard throughout but also got some stick on here. Spurs on the other hand had a number of lads most notably Rose and Trippier who were downright awful and made mistake after mistake and gave the ball away needlessly at times under little pressure and were quite rightly slated throughout the game.

I wouldn’t have said that Spurs had a lot of possession last night. I’d be very surprised if they even had 50% of it. They had a decent amount of territory and most of the second half was played in Ajax’s half yet Spurs brute force approach created little in the way of chances and Ajax could easily have had a second when they hit the post late on.

1 Like

Surprised when I looked at it myself

Even more pronounced in the second half.

Last night was about staying within striking distance for Tottenham and they did that. In modern European football where second legs tend to take on a life of their own, one away goal is not a massive amount and Tottenham will be in with a huge chance should they score the first goal in the second leg.

Tottenham are very thin on quality once you go beyond the first choice players.

Lucas Moura and Llorente are a massive downgrade on Son and Kane.

I expect Kane to be strapped up and doped up to within an inch of life to enable him to play next week.

The Guardian has Spurs with 48% and Livescore has them having 46%. While the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle I wouldn’t have said that Spurs had a lot of possession in a relative sense.

Agreed and they are far from out but it was a fairly unconvincing performance from them. They didn’t create a chance of note and the likes of Erikson and Ali were completely on the periphery.

Maybe Ajax will falter under the pressue/expectation next week but a similar performance from Spurs will very much leave Ajax off the hook and into a champions league final

They didn’t create a chance of note from play but there were two headers from set pieces in the first half for Llorente and Alderweireld which were decent chances - neither hit the target

Ajax and PSV Eindhoven are neck and neck in Dutch league . Albeit Ajax have better goal difference .

Give us 5 examples in the last ten years of teams over turning a 1 nil home defeat in the champions league? Man united over turned a 2 nil defeat this year but it’s fairly rare. Last night was a terrible result for spurs and anybody saying anything different is a fool. I’d be very surprised if Ajax don’t score one and that means spurs need 2.

Should someone else tell the cuckold the rules or will I? :grinning:

5 Likes

Deary me.

It’s alright - he wasn’t addressing you so you don’t have to embarrass yourself as usual giving your football opinions.

1 Like

Whoops.

1 Like

Point stands lT was not a good result for spurs last night.

Poor Apple Cuckold, things are not going well for him here

You said it was some sort of good result for spurs. When was the last time a team overturned a home leg defeat in the champions league semi final? It’s extremely rare.

I didn’t say it was a good result for them

You peddling for 12 hours it was a good result. Ajax a team of kids fairly trashed spurs last night. In pure footballing terms they played spurs off the field on their own patch. It highlights the awful stand of the epl. Go back to pretending to be a man United fan sid.

Go back to the Teletubbies mate

1 Like

Typical EPL barstooler, sticking up for his people.

2 Likes

Any night you lose at home in the first leg of the knock out stages is a bad result. Its not a particularly surprising result though given how utterly depleted we were and how good Ajax have been in the competition this season. Most Spurs fans were very worried prior to last night. There has been two instances in the knock out stages this year of sides overturning worse home deficits than a 1 nil home defeat to advance. Ajax lost 1-2 at home to Real Madrid and Man U lost 0-2 at home to PSG.

I read this morning that the home side has lost the first leg of a European Cup semi finals on 19 occasions prior to last night. Only once was that overturned. Ajax lost 0-1 at home to Panathanaikos in the 1996 semi final but then went and won 0-3 in Greece in the second leg.

1 Like