Cheltenham-Early thoughts

He nearly died a few months ago on the gallop. There was rumours going around nico was going training too.

I’d be shocked if it’s true. Nicky is very loyal to nico.

Talk of Nico going as assistant trainer

Two good ones Big Dan won’t be getting to Cheltenham this season. Not what you want to see however much luck is involved.

Bolted up

I could see that.

If nico goes training I’d love to have a 100 horses in training with him.

Liar.

I’ve been playing a bit of Willie Mullins Bingo today and have decided to take a punt on a few horses at odds that will be a heck of a lot shorter on the day based on either unexpected declarations or DRF runs.

El Fabiolo - the double green will always have a runner in the Supreme. O’Toole will likely stay at home and wait for chasing. They put some word out today saying the horse is 6th or 7th string of Willie’s which read like a passive aggressive quote to run him in the DRF. No reason they wouldn’t bring Jacob across to ride him either. I think he goes off at half his price in the Supreme.

Appreciate It - simple. Appreciate runs in the Irish Champion Hurdle and gives Honeysuckle a fright. The mare wins but the hype machine goes into AI overdrive as we get into late Feb and March and he goes off 2nd favourite at about 3/1.

Saldier - this is still a quality horse. Just not Grade 1 material over 2 or 3 miles. Almost like Wicklow Brave and Artic Fire who Willie won the County with. Class usually wins Cheltenham handicaps. The Munir horse I mentioned above is half Saldiers price after just 1 run in Tramore. Saldier probably won’t shorten that much but I think he’ll well outrun his 25/1 odds. I don’t see him in the Stayers.

Vadaly - a Kenny Alexander mare who won in France (https://twitter.com/tayz2017/status/1459225966098759684?t=ul0BAc7ZU_2VeK_TRFd6LQ&s=19). Had a knock so been a bit slower to get out. Has an entry in the Spring Juvenile in DRF. If she runs to her ability in that she’ll be no 40/1 for the Triumph. Kenny has little care for the Boodles and she likely wouldn’t get a mark anyway. She could run in Mares Novice but wouldn’t expect them to run her against older mares with way more experience.

Was gonna take the NRNB with 365 but have decided to take the bigger prices with Unibet. Lucky 15 for small stake so if none of them turn up then so be it.

6 Likes

Doubt jacob will be back for the DRF - no bad thing though!

Forgot he was out. No shortage of jockeys to ride those horses. Just depends on how Willie wants to appease all his big owners

Cheveley as I suspected go back to the sales.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/CheltenhamRaces/status/1746599560762573275?t=HWaukDCrFm5qzQXm7kLAsg&s=19

4 Likes

Great memories

1 Like

Was it 2017 when Nichols canyon won the stayers? He gave an exhibition that day.

Yorkhill, UDS and Nichols canyon. All three were different types of rides but all equally superb.

2 Likes

He has rode some incredible horses during his career. That was such a superior period for national hunt racing around the time you’d Kauto Star, Big Bucks, Master Minded all around the same time. Harchibald, Hardy Eustace, Moscow Flyer. Hurricane Fly probably same festivals too and then Quevega at the tail end of all those. Cheltenham was goosebumps back then with three days it doesn’t have anything of that lustre any more.

8 Likes

Was just about to post that video. It’s amazing. Yorkhill should be in the top 10. Vautours Ryanair as well. And UDS winning the Ryanair.

Realised he never wrote Allaho then?!

Correct

And Vautours JLT is in the video :joy:

It’s been a long day

1 Like