Clare Gaa 🐐 Thread mark II

You not thinking of Shane McGrath with Feakle

Ian fahey I think. Quirke is a good back?, has he had injuries that he hasn’t got game time or not good enough?

No I’m not, lovely hurler too.

Played first two rounds of the league last year for Clare. Really struggled both days

Fahy is 30+ now, I don’t know what the story with Quirke is

Fair enough, has more hurling than a lot of current Clare defenders.

The mad thing is they have been that way for the bones of 10 years now, it’s commendable but not really any good for anyone outside of whitegate

Have they anything coming?

No

It’s not really doing them much good either if they’re only barely staying up each year

It’s a tough situation. Tis easy enough say drop to inter and win more games/be more competitive but that is hard enough won as well. Given their small enough pick it could be a generation or two before they get back senior if ever even.

As an example - Ogonnalloe were going close to winning county titles 20 odd years ago and are now a middling junior a team unlikely to be back senior any time in the next 20 years

2 Likes

I’d be firmly in the camp of staying up. Win a game or two with a good draw and you could land yourself in QF or SF. Anything can happen in sport.

3 Likes

I’d say they have a nice few friesans on the way for next year but no hurlers

It’s all they have hurling wise

You should always try to stay up and give the next generation a solid foundation to start. You need to have a culture of good practice instilled in a club from top to bottom.

It can take 3 or 4 generations of teams to get a club back up if you fall down the divisions as apathy/negativity sets in when you go down intermediate/junior.

Expecting one golden generation of players in a parish to go from Junior A to Senior County Champions doesn’t really happen. It took Kildangan in Tipp 25 years of hard work and about 6 generations of teams to climb to the top of the mountain.

4 Likes

Aaron Moloney injured?

Didn’t play last week either so assume so. Think he did the cruciate back in October of last year so might be still working his way back

ACL not cruciate. The only true example of only in Ireland, get it right!

Ok. Id be genuinely worried about the volume of young lads with similar injury troubles these days. Its gotten way worse…werent our county minor hurlers down 2 or 3 this year with similar issues?

Rumour is that Lohan’s brinkmanship has worked and he will get a three year extension to his term.

5 Likes