Clare v Waterford - Munster Hurling Semi Final

20 to 25k expected in Thurles on Sunday. Looks as though the good weather will hold.

1 Like

I’d Hope Shanahan, Mahony (apparently flying at the minute), Brick, Curran, Bennett, Dunford to make up the six forward positions - Halloran, Dillon, Devine and Stephen Bennett as options to come into the forward line

Midfield Barron and Gleeson

Fives, de Burca and Moran in the half back line (I think Mahony needs to be dropped though I can’t see it happening, will be targeted for his lack of pace again)

Fives, Coughlan, Connors full back line

SOK in goal

good team

Big test for Clare. They’ve only won 1 from 6 championship games (against Offaly) since that fortuitous All Ireland win in 2013. They’ve not exactly lost to top teams either in the last two campaigns, Wexford, Limerick and Cork (twice).

Speaking to a lad who was at training in the camp last night and the Waterford selectors were working on a sweeper system for the sideline. They’re going to bring two selectors back to sit in front of Donal og and leave the Maor Foirne to man mark Davy. Big Dan will be left up front on his own.

10 Likes

Who will mark Kinnerk then? He could wreak havoc if left alone.

1 Like

He’ll be starved for ball (or is it bawling from Davy?).

all the injurys have thinned out the clare squad particularly up front.
limited options if our forwards dont fire.

Conlon is touch and go. personally i wouldnt chance him but he is so important they probably will.

It’ll be like 1998 all over again, mentors marking mentors, Davy is consulting Loughnane about this approach as he used it successfully in the 98 replay

1 Like

https://youtu.be/Yv3RkdIE1so

Fuck knacker mullane and Fuck Waterford

It’ll be more like 2004. Waterford could do a real job on Clare on Sunday.

Ah we won’t.

My Clare source tells me neither Dave mc or conlon will start on Sunday.

Conlon will play some part on Sunday, himself and Oisin O’Brien have been back training for the past 10 days or so. All depends on how Conlon’s ankle is holding up. it will be him or Shanagher who come in for Cunningham.

David Mc is out and was ruled out some weeks ago, depending who you talk to some people reckon he is gone for the season with his back injury, while the Clare Champion today reckons that he has an outside chance of making the match day 26 for Sunday. He made shit of a disc lifting weights in the gym and played with it against Limerick which didn’t help and I believe they opted against surgery and it is slow to mend, nobody seems to know when exactly when he will be back.

Paul Flanagan took a knock in training last week which means that the other spot up for grabs is between Jack Browne and Oisin O’Brien. O’Brien missed three weeks of training due to a punctured lung while Browne looked well off the pace in the league final after missing most of the spring with injury.

Back injuries are never good at a young age. The depth Clare have and their age profile is very impressive. I was just told neither would start which probably tipps it back in waterfords favour assuming Maurice and o Mahoney are back.

Dam right

You could be right:slight_smile: