Clonlara man wins U21 Hurler of the Year

Honan scoops inaugural award

Clare forward Darach Honan has named as the inaugural Bord Gis Energy Breaking Through Player of the Year.

The Clonlara clubman was picked from a shortlist that included heavy hitters Joe Canning and Richie Hogan to claim the 1,000 prize. Also in the running were Honan’s team mates John Conlon and Colin Ryan and Kilkenny’s John Mulhall.

Honan was selected as the outstanding player of the 2009 Bord Gis Energy GAA Hurling U-21 Championship following the pivotal role he played in bringing Clare to their first ever All-Ireland final at U-21 level.

It was a historic victory for the Banner and, despite having only just emerged from the county’s Minor set up last year, the forward put in two Man of the Match performances during the journey, against Waterford in the Munster Final and in the thrilling semi final encounter with Galway.

On receiving the award, Honan said: 'I am absolutely delighted to have been selected for this award and for me it caps a hugely memorable year. To be recognised at this level is very special.

’ am very proud to have played a part in Clare’s first ever U-21 Hurling All-Ireland victory and I would like to pay special tribute to all my team mates and the coaching and management staff who have all worked so hard over the past few months.

‘I hope now we can build and develop on our success and look forward to doing so in 2010.’

The selection panel was completed by RT’s Marty Morrissey, Michel O Domhnaill of TG4 and the GAA’s Sponsorship Manager, Paul Dermody and Bord Gis Energy Sport Sponsorship Manager Ger Cunningham.

Thats great for the lad, however, I always find that the bigger lads who lord it at underage level get found out when they step up to swim in the bigger pond, with the bigger fish.

That’s harsh enough Tipptops.

The lad should be very much suited to Division 2 hurling.

[quote=“The Runt”]That’s harsh enough Tipptops.

The lad should be very much suited to Division 2 hurling.[/quote]
Or he could go the way of the 3 all-ireland U21 Limerick teams and vanish off the face fo the earth or get glued to a barstool.

Yours etc,
GSH.

Go on the Duck…

Why they call him that Puke?

Yerrah it depends who you ask Tipptops…It is down to his name darach sounding a bit like duck but there is a yarn going around that he is called Duck as he has to duck when he is going through most doors due to his size