Club Championships 2017

Con O’Callaghan is the next Eoin Kelly

1 Like

i saw where is your fucking pride Fitzy in Blanchardstown shopping centre, the full back for KK today looked a more natural build for hooker than Fitzy. He is tiny

Stay out of Dublin you culchie fuck

Pretty sure that’s him on the left of the back row, he was a strong garsĂșn as a minor anyway

1 Like

1970 minor final v Cork? What was his club?

I’d assume Loughrea, but I’d be guessing.

Some lad on the Offaly Forum blaming the ref for the defeat. :smile:

I say highlights of the Waterford football final last night. It looked decent with some fine scores . Granted it was only short highlights.

Brick Walsh is one tough man .

That said it was awful that they could not represent Waterford in Munster . Are they going the way of Kilkenny in promoting football ? @anon70480284

@Fagan_ODowd

A lot of good footballers in Waterford but hurling is King - I don’t think the county is big enough to have a football stronghold and a hurling stronghold.
They apparently introduced some convoluted football cship structure this year, don’t ask me why, but added to the fixture chaos, that and getting to the AI final. Getting the hurling ran off first was the priority due to pitches getting worse and getting the club winners into Munster. Even at that Ballygunner ended up 8/9 weeks in a row playing cship.
Is it going the way of KK, probably not, there’s still a lot of football strongholds in west Waterford and Gaultier in the Far East of the county. I think it would better hurling all round in the county if they forgot about football but that won’t happen and it would be a shame if it did to be honest. Fixture management would ease a lot of pressure, same in every county I suppose!
BTW that was Brick’s 10th county football medal and he isn’t done yet, some man is right!

2 Likes

There are 113,000 people in Waterford spread across 45 parishes. There are 50 GAA clubs. There are 13,700 Roman Catholics in the parish of Ballygunner. Over 10% of the population of the county. There are other demographic advantages as well. It’s a young parish and most of the housing stock is new, built in the last 30 years. And it’s predominantly middle class.

1 Like

Ballygunner club and ‘parish’ are different things; the club stretches out to Dunmore East and beyond, they have a serious pick

The Sea? Wexford?

1 Like

Ballygunner automatically have first dibs on any players from the Saltee Islands.

1 Like

They are a serious club, in fairness to them. Tramore have a pick of 10,000 people and do nothing with them.

Yeah spot on, they have been known to field a few wexicans in their day

Tramore are a shambles of a club, I actually watched a bit of the 84 senior football final on YouTube the other day, which they won.

One if my favourite alltime sportsmen.

Considering the constraints of modern amatuer sport he is unbelievable. The way he has remained so useful is a lesson to many coaches.

He’d be long gone in Cork

Very interesting article by Ewan here. Not sure if posted elsewhere.

The club conpetitions in the GAA are fantastic. But give up the pretence its a summer sport for anyone bar the top inter county players

The Cork premier U 21 hurling final was played on Friday nt in a bog in pairc ui rinn. Now that is a fucking joke. 8th december to play the final of what should be a showcase for the best young hurlers in county.

2 Likes

Today’s Leinster Football Final is OFF

Ewan should name names instead of making shite up.

6 Likes