Club Championships 2019

@TreatyStones Ballysteen are 11/4 today. Worth a punt? What stage is the championship at?

Vincent’s scored 10-28 ,v finbarrs in SHC today. Yesterday N.a. Fianna put 5-24 past O Tooles and Cuala kicked the shit out of Ballinteer. On Thursday Ballyboden scored 6-29 v Setanta. There are at least 4 teams too many in the Dublin SHC. Clubs fooling themselves claiming to be senior standard.
The championship proper starts in 2 weeks with the quarter finals. Arguably the 2 best teams in it Crokes and Cuala have drawn each other. Some other tasty ties too. Boden v Vincent’s. NA Fianna V St Brigids and Lucan vs a resurgent Craobh Chiarain.

1 Like

King con be more than likely out so.

Surprised with craobh on way back but heard today their 16s/minors of last few years train up with the seniors so hardiness being built in early. Should be only 8 teams in senior champo alright. Two groups, round robin, semis and final.

Has the peace process made St Finbarr’s soft ??

2 Likes

A structural tweak to the running off of the four team Carlow Senior Hurling Championship this year. The round robin format has been maintained but rather than four teams advancing to two semi finals, the winner of the round robin phase advances directly to the final with the 2nd and 3rd placed team playing off for the right to face the winners in the final.

Myshall finished bottom of the table failing for I believe the first time in their history to win a single match in a Senior Hurling Championship campaign. Bleak times for the former kingpins with no senior championship title since 2005.

Mount Leinster Rangers beat Ballinkillen 2-14 to 1-16 to advance to the final with a 100% record.

St Mullins face Ballinkillen now in a de facto semi final.

Some of those younger craobh lads are excellent. Cian Derwin, Billy Ryan and Paul Kelly in particular. They are a remarkable club. Very small numbers but they make the very most of what they have.

I’d be more inclined to go for a 12 team championship. 2 x groups of six as aside from this years 8 quarter-finalists there are a number of up and coming clubs who should be able to continue to be competitve at senior level with a possibility of really challenging in a few years time. I’d include Plunketts, Whitehall and Faughs in that category

What’s the story with St Jude’s this season?

Too many teams in senior is right in Dublin. Step up from division 2 to 1 and senior b to A is too much. 16 senior a and 12 senior b teams is too many. Intermediate must be a fairly woeful standard compared to other counties.

Jude’s have no minor hurling side this year as far as I know which I find bizarre given their pick

1 Like

There are way too many senior clubs in Dublin in both codes . Has a Dublin club ever won an all Ireland at junior or intermediate level ??

Not in hurling anyway. I doubt they’ve even won a Leinster at either level. I’ve some recollection of Fingal Ravens and Castleknock advancing far in the football. @Spidey might confirm.

Junior semi final v Kenmare. 3 game epic.
Ravens got to the intermediate final under Mick Deegan I think but lost out.

Plenty of club matches being shown from Sept 21/22 - RTE getting in on the action.

What’s the story with the club in Bagenalstown? I saw mention of an amalgamation?

Where does the Myshall parish lines merge with Rathana and Ballymurphy? That land all around the foot of mount leinster all merges into one for me. Is there much of a cross over or mixing into the MLR team or fairly distinct where the boundaries are?

The hurling club in Bagenalstown was known as Erins Own and the football club as St Andrews. They now both now go as Bagenalstown Gaels. They’re in the intermediate final and Bagenalstown should be hurling senior. They have plenty of hurlers. They’re a powerhouse at underage but like a lot of townie clubs can never seem to translate it to senior.

Myshall would be on one side of the mountain and Rathanna and the parish of Borris on the other side. Ballymurphy is further south heading towards St Mullins. There wouldn’t be much of a blurring of the lines as there’s just mountain and empty terrain in between. The Nine Stones is the parish dividing line. Bagenalstown parish runs a long way south from Bagenalstown as well and Killoughternane in the lower reaches of the Blackstairs would be within the Ballinkillen end of the Blackstairs.

Myshall and Ballinkillen would be more fractious as there would be a feeling in Ballinkillen that historically they lost players to Myshall. Paddy Quirke probably Carlow’s Greatest ever hurlers home place is literally where the three parishes of Borris, Myshall and Bagenalstown meet but he’d have been just about inside what would be seen as Ballinkillen area but hurled with Myshall. And all the brothers as well.

3 Likes

Didnt realise St Andrews was the name of the football end of things in Bagenalstown, just always assumed they went as Erins own for hurling and football.

Was out around the Rathana direction over the weekend and saw a few with MLR and Myshall club gear around so was just wondering where it started and ended as you say, its a lot of bleak mountainous area around there. Mid 80s or so when the MLR trio combined was it? Would seem off for a county as small as Carlow to have such small teams from the one parish being separate. Although wouldnt be the first either. Plenty other smaller areas with 2 or more teams and could be great if they combined.

Were you in Osborne’s when you were in Rathanna? Great spot.

There was some sort of Hill Farming Showcase in Rathanna over the weekend.

Mount Leinster Rangers were formed in 1988. In the parish of Borris prior to that, Borris and Ballymuphy had hurling teams and Rathanna a football team. Borris were never up to much, Ballymurphy would have been stronger. Lost four county finals in the early 1980’s.

1 Like

How many hurling clubs are there overall in Carlow?

Loads of small clubs could join but too much history between many of them.