Club Championships 2021 - is fulvio a cameraman?

I worked with a lad from Ballinasloe when I was in Galway and he was heavily involved in the Pearses club in Roscommon who seem to be one of the top 3/4 clubs there. Reckons they draw a fair few Galway men in?

They won at least 1 county championship around the 50s and made a senior final in the 70s. They were a decent intermediate club in the 90s, they are down to a junior B club now. They still put out teams at underage but Iv been told their best hurlers get taken by various clubs as they get older, generally due to a parent with a connection I think.

1 Like

I’d well believe it. Pearses ground is only about 2 miles outside the town sure, it’s a very strong club and the games wouldnt involve much travelling. Ballinasloe are a struggling outfit and there would be a good bit of travelling for games because of where they are in Galway, only makes sense lads would go there. Ballinasloe soccer club play in the Roscommon rather than Galway league which is partly due to travel reasons as well.
Niall Daly would be a Pearses lad who is actually from Ballinasloe, but he has always played with Pearses. The best estates in Ballinasloe are right out on the Roscommon border, I’d say most from there plays with Pearses.

1 Like

You’d imagine if they had any pride in their own club they would be going absolutely ape about a situation like that but it barely seems to register. They just drift along down in junior and nobody seems too bothered. A big town like that should be producing players for Galway but they are barely producing any players for themselves. Let alone the county team. But as someone said above, a lot of counties have at least one big population centre which is a bit of a black hole GAA wise.

Are any club championship matches being televised? Didn’t TG4 cover a few of them this last couple of years?

Patrickswell v Ahsne on TG4 tomorrow @4.30 pm

1 Like

Thanks for that!

You’d think they’d avoid Ahane after their display last year.

RTE showed Ahane last year . The Well will win pulling up

Think they are showing Raheny v Ballyboden in football

St Johns got revenge on Loughgiel this evening in the quarter final of the Antrim SHC following defeat to them in the semi final last year. They won 2.21 to 1.22, Early in the 2nd half St Johns extended their 4 point half time lead to 8 but Loughgiel came back and were leave at the water break. St Johns stayed 1 or 2 ahead in the last 10 minutes and clung on in injury time.

Cushendall beat St Endas in the other qtr final as expected so they go through with St Johns to join Rossa and Dunloy in the semis.

2 McCooey teams in the semi finals! And both with a great chance I’d guess. Would Dunloy be overall favourites?

Mount Leinster Rangers v St Mullins hurling final in Carlow.

Marty Kavanagh being back from injury should make that a very interesting game.

The semi-final draw was made earlier, its Rossa vs Cushendall and Dunloy vs St Johns. I will go for a Rossa Dunloy final.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s huge for St Mullins having Mouse back. There was a lot of pessimistic talk in St Mullins when he got the knee injury that he was out for the year, but it wasn’t as serious as first feared. St Mullins are always good at timing their run, Bagenalstown beat them in group stages but that was avenged in semi final today. Rangers beat them easily as well but there won’t be much in it next Sunday. I’d still take Rangers to shade it though.

St Mullins really ambushed a hotly fancied Rangers in the final two years ago and then went on to the Leinster Final. No repeat meeting last year as Ballinkillen beat St Mullins in semi final.

1 Like

Any flaking or fights in the MLR v Myshall game? Looked like a poor spectacle judging by the score.

It was tame. Myshall are just not what they were either hurling or fighting wise. 2005 their last county win.

I was thinking about the demise of Ballycastle. My oul Da would be dismayed. We weren’t Ballycastle people but not too far away and I had lost interest in hurling but he persuaded me to go with him to watch Ballycastle aound about 1980. That was some team. He always said that they were he best (club) side he’d ever seen. I mind his almost despair when Castlegar beat them in the All ireland club final. That was a superb side. They could “lorry” balls in or they could run, handpass and backup all over the field. I’ve always sort of looked for their results. Must be desperately disappointing now to look back on the glory days!

4 Likes

Sniggers